Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched the forums hugh and low and have yet to find an answer to these two questions.

1) how do you remove the mirror covers on a LTZ? Id like to have them dipped ir wrapped but cant figure out how to take them apart.

2) how do you remove the outside window trim both the chrome pieces that run length wise snd the bkack pieces that run veritcal?

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I am not sure these mirrors are designed to be taken apart without breaking something. When I installed a heated mirror, I could only get to the painted mirror cover after breaking the mirror off the old assembly, and even then I broke a couple of the tabs off the cover.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Since I didn't care about my old mirror because I was upgrading from a non-heated mirror to a heated mirror, I didn't care that I broke the old mirror. All I cared about was getting access to the inside of the mirror housing so I could get to the tabs that held the painted mirror cover on. This is so I could swap it to the new heated mirror assembly that I got (which came with an unpainted cover not installed and that I didn't use).

I will post pictures here so you can see what the inside of the mirror assembly looks like.

Here is my old mirror I "broke" off.

Here is the other side of the mirror. I see no way to get to these tabs to remove it without breaking the mirror.

You can't get to the screws (indicated by the green arrows) that hold the mirror motor assembly to the housing because the mirror would be in the way. Removing the mirror first is the only way I can see getting access to the inside of the mirror assembly.

After I gained access to the inside, I managed to pry some of the tabs loose (indicated by green arrows), and in the process broke two other tabs off(indicated by red arrows). Note that there is a third tab to the right of the the two broken tabs that did not break (at the edge of the picture, no arrow). Btw, even with the broken tabs, the my old painted mirror cover attached tightly to the new mirror assembly with no sign of looseness.

So, the only possible way I could see you could get your mirror cover off is by somehow prying loose the three tab locations (indicated by the green arrows in the picture below), but these tabs are extremely thin and breakable. I don't see how you could pry them loose without breaking them. There is no way to access the other three tabs that are more centrally located unless going through the mirror side. IF you somehow managed to pry those three tabs loose on the edge, how would you get the other three?

Do you see anything I don't see that would allow you to get the mirror cover off without breaking anything?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually they come apart with ease.

1) remove black cover inside the car door usually where tweeter would be mounted. It has a pull tab and when removing be sure to pull upward.

2) unplug the power mirror

3) remove the three 10mm bolts. This will free the mirror from the car and make it a lot easier to work on.

4) slight apply pressure to the corner of the mirror and pull towards you. The mirror is held in place with pop tabs and if enough press is applied evenly the mirror itself will pop right out.

5) remove the three torq screws that hild the morror in place.

6) you should now be able to see the tabs and with a long, small, flat head screw driver you can gently press on the tabs and remove the cover without breaking it.
Eyewear Rear-view mirror Glasses Automotive mirror Mirror

Auto part Automotive mirror

Helmet Auto part Rim Personal protective equipment Wheel

Auto part Personal protective equipment Automotive wheel system Rim Wheel

Bumper Vehicle

So the mirror covers can be removed it just takes a little work and a light touch. Also once the mirrors are removed you can access the trim that goes along the bottom of the window.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was going to vinyl wrap them carbon fiber but the back side curve has proved to be impossible to wrap and not have any wrinkles. So i just popped them back on and put the car back together. I kinda feel like i wasted 5 hours of my day but at least we now know you can remove the mirror covers without breaking them.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,393 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Holden Cruze CDX
60 Posts
Longtime No See!

The mirrors look good. What did you use to refurbish them?
Hi @Blasirl, I didn't refurb them. I actually pulled it off a 2013 model at my local junk yard and swapped it over but had to put my blue 'casing' on the new mirror because originally it was from a silver 2013 Cruze. The black plastic on that newer model mirror is completely different looking and feeling. I am guessing its the same type used for all the US Cruzes but my original mirror on the 2010 seems to have a porous type plastic on it. Hence the discolouration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts