Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a code reading P0303 for misfire in cylinder 3.
I changed the spark plugs, no change.
I replaced coil pack, no change.
I replaced fuel injector for #3, no change.

what would be next?

·
Registered
958 Posts
It sounds like you have covered all the external parts swapping with no change.
I would do a Compression test to make sure that the cylinder in question is good or not.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a code reading P0303 for misfire in cylinder 3.
I changed the spark plugs, no change.
I replaced coil pack, no change.
I replaced fuel injector for #3, no change.

what would be next?
Bad wire in the harness to the coil pack, for Cylinder 3? Not sure how to troubleshoot that wire.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Bad wire in the harness to the coil pack, for Cylinder 3? Not sure how to troubleshoot that wire.
I'd put an oscilloscope on it, but not everyone has one of those in their garage :)

Some hi end automotive test equipment has similar features, but that's not available to most folks.

I was thinking along the same lines as you, but was wondering if the broken wire might be detected by inspection. I would look closely at the harness where it plugs into the ignition coil module to see if there's a damaged wire, or a pin has pulled loose.

For what it's worth, I looked at the schematic for the 1.8, and the ignition coil module for it is wired like four individual coil packs connected in parallel. The four units share a common +12V and common GND, with four individual triggers, as you indicate. So there's nothing special or exotic about it.

I assume the 1.4 is wired likewise.

Doug

·
Registered
120 Posts
It sounds like you have covered all the external parts swapping with no change.
I would do a Compression test to make sure that the cylinder in question is good or not.
+1 to that. You could just have a shi++y calibration from the factory on there too. Seems as though you have already covered your bases though. Where do you live at? Are there any other issues? Leaky or loose injector? Spark plus are torqued to spec and the threads aren't stripped? Any oil on the plug? Umm, just trying to think of things to check. Besides a bad ground or loose wire going to that coil or checking for proper compression doing a leak down or comp test... Idunno

Just for the hell of it check your cam and/or crank angle position sensor. I don't have a 1.8,but whatever is clocking the rotation of the engine should be checked for alignment too. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i had a misfire i couldn’t get rid of. took it to the dealer and they said the plugs were not tight enough. the plugs have to be 18 foot pounds. might be worth a re visit. 18 foot pounds with a torque wrench feels crazy tight but it solved my issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
i had a misfire i couldn’t get rid of. took it to the dealer and they said the plugs were not tight enough. the plugs have to be 18 foot pounds. might be worth a re visit. 18 foot pounds with a torque wrench feels crazy tight but it solved my issue.
Yes, in my limited wrenching experience on my Cruzes, I learned you need to get almost all the way to 18 ft-lbs in order to get the crush ring on the plugs all the way crushed (and hence, get the plug fully sealed in the head).

I thought ~13 ft-lbs felt plenty tight, but that didn't fully compact the ring.

The good part is, I have another bullet on my car repair resume :)

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts