Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2014 1.4L Cruze in December of 2018. It ran great until sometime in February, it started almost "coughing" so I took it in to my mechanic. They replaced all 4 spark plugs for me and the problem seemed to go away... Temporarily. The problem came back, so I took it back in a couple months later and it ended up being a misfire on cylinder 2 and 3. The mechanic told me that I had a lot of carbon buildup on the valves so he decided to run some de-carb cleaner through the system and recommended pulling the cylinder head and replacing the valves. The cleaner definitely help, but again only for a little while. I can't afford to have the shop tear apart the car and I'm not totally mechanically savvy so I've been trying to figure out other alternatives myself. I've read on this forum and others that other people had been told the same thing about the carbon buildup, then found out it was just the coil pack. So, I replaced the coil pack and wow did that make a difference. It was like driving a new car. Until the misfire came back again. At this point I'm not sure what else to do. I should also mention that the horrible misfire and jerking isn't constant. The car will do it for maybe a week or so, and then quit for about the same amount of time, and just go in cycles like that. The check engine light has come on a few times, but once I turned the car off and started it again, it would go away. I haven't noticed anything in particular that could cause it to be so cyclical. Just this week it started doing it again, and its the worst it has ever been. The check engine light did come on, and this time it hasn't gone off. I'm hoping it'll last long enough to see if I can get a code from it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the exact same issure over the last few days. After replacing turbo, coil pack, plugs, valve cover, and the corrugated pcv hose assembly. Car starts, idles, and rus fine as long as it remains under 3,000 rpm. Above 3,000 which I'm asuming is because of boost from the turbo, it jerks violently, and the CEL will flash, then when you come off the accelerator and before your even able to pull off the road, the engine light goes away. Not sure if a vacuum line could be broken or not connected. Really just looking for someone who is more well versed with this car's innerworkings to know whats actually happening.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a similar problem 2013 1.4
So about a week ago my engine light came on and it turns out to the the coils so I got them replaced as well as the spark plugs

Then a day later the lights comes back in the the computer says it's the same thing!
But I just leave it and see it goes away

Today though I was driving and the car was very rough at idle like shaking and misfiring so I was driving to the mechanic and it stalled luckily was nearly at the mechanic

He checked the codes and it was saying cylinders 2 and 4 control circuits and misfire detected
Gonna get it looked at tomorrow to see what the problem is

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I took my car in and it turns out I had a blown head gasket and needed a new catalytic converter. Also found out that the last mechanic I took it to had put in the wrong spark plugs! Car has been driving much better. But just yesterday my CEL light came on and it was a P0299 Code, lowboost. I haven't had any kind of symptoms so far, so I'm not sure what to do yet. Replacing the turbo can be expensive and I just dropped a bunch of money to fix the previous problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts