Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Modding A Cruze!

6583 Views 18 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  CHEVYCRUZE RS
Hello everyone, this is my first post and I'm very excited to be picking up my new Cruze LT Turbo within a few days! From what I understand, the Cruze is a relatively new model car. I'm not looking to do anything crazy...but I'd like to add an intake, better muffler/exhaust, possibly a chip/ECU tune. Are any of these viable options at the moment? I'm still pretty green to modding so I wouldn't want to add anything that could potentially damage my engine or void my warranty.

Any pro-tips out there? Help with this would be much appreciated.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
1,740 Posts
any thing that does not say GM voids warranty for that part,and exhaust go to a muffler shop get custom saves loads of money,wait and get the aem intake(aem filters are the best so are there intakes)and get a trifecta tune and bam you got yourself all the engine mods that will be available for this car forever

· Registered
128 Posts
Hello everyone, this is my first post and I'm very excited to be picking up my new Cruze LT Turbo within a few days! From what I understand, the Cruze is a relatively new model car. I'm not looking to do anything crazy...but I'd like to add an intake, better muffler/exhaust, possibly a chip/ECU tune. Are any of these viable options at the moment? I'm still pretty green to modding so I wouldn't want to add anything that could potentially damage my engine or void my warranty.

Any pro-tips out there? Help with this would be much appreciated.
Currently there is the injen intake available.

I've heard the exhausts are in the works but do not know if any of the name brands have released them yet.

And there is the trifecta tune available which is supposed to give a huge improvement to the vehicle. Visit trifecta performance. Somewhere in the range of 30 hp and 30 torque. I'd have to look at the dyno chart. Search it on this forum and you will see there is a lot of information and everyone seems very happy with it.

· Registered
223 Posts
any thing that does not say GM voids warranty for that part,and exhaust go to a muffler shop get custom saves loads of money,wait and get the aem intake(aem filters are the best so are there intakes)and get a trifecta tune and bam you got yourself all the engine mods that will be available for this car forever
says the guy who owns an LS.....:not_worthy:

There is a good sticky for the 1.4L section. Take a swing by and most of your questions can be answered......

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently there is the injen intake available.

I've heard the exhausts are in the works but do not know if any of the name brands have released them yet.

And there is the trifecta tune available which is supposed to give a huge improvement to the vehicle. Visit trifecta performance. Somewhere in the range of 30 hp and 30 torque. I'd have to look at the dyno chart. Search it on this forum and you will see there is a lot of information and everyone seems very happy with it.
I reviewed the intake installation thread but I'm still a little iffy on installing it myself. What is the difficulty level like when installing something this? Like I said earlier, I'm very new to modding. I have been educating myself and reading up tons of articles on this stuff so my theory is getting better at least. I have a mechanic buddy who can probably install this for me dirt cheap; would you recommend I go this route?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, a short ram is basically a cold air intake with a short pipe. I've heard that RAM intake is not as effective because it's closer to the engine but that cold air intake increases likelyhood of sucking in water.

Any truth to this? I'd rather do a CAI if it is more effective. Guess I'll give it a shot with the instructions.

· Premium Member
3,238 Posts
If you install the intake as Cold Air, yes theres a better possiblity of you sucking in water but ONLY if your driving through a lake.....lol. Its hard to suck water since the filter is covered very good. By accident, I went through a big puddle on a stormy day and boy oh boy was I ever worried. Pulled over, let my engine run for a bit and it was good thank god lol.

For engine modding, Trifecta Tune is the best for the money. Injen has the intake and Ultra Racing is in the works of strut and sway bars for the cruze. Exhaust will FOR SURE void warranty. Intake and the trifecta tune does not void warranty, if something does go ,simply put your factory airbox on and everythings cool. Id only put exhaust on if my car was stick......too bad I got A/T

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you install the intake as Cold Air, yes theres a better possiblity of you sucking in water but ONLY if your driving through a lake.....lol. Its hard to suck water since the filter is covered very good. By accident, I went through a big puddle on a stormy day and boy oh boy was I ever worried. Pulled over, let my engine run for a bit and it was good thank god lol.

For engine modding, Trifecta Tune is the best for the money. Injen has the intake and Ultra Racing is in the works of strut and sway bars for the cruze. Exhaust will FOR SURE void warranty. Intake and the trifecta tune does not void warranty, if something does go ,simply put your factory airbox on and everythings cool. Id only put exhaust on if my car was stick......too bad I got A/T
What about an aftermarket muffler? Shouldn't affect things too much, no?

· Banned
264 Posts
The whole muffler. Resonator and tip. I'm guessing it shouldn't be an issue unless I replace the entire exhaust system?

Thanks everyone for all the informative posts by the way!
replacing your entire exhaust is very unlikely to void any warranty. as its been stated 100 times on here they must prove that aftermarket part caused the problem you're having.
Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i've never heard of someone getting warranty voided for a exhaust system..even turbo back. if you're that worried you should leave your car stock or get a just a muffler and keep the stock to be thrown back on if need be.the tune is something more to be worried about.

· Premium Member
1,740 Posts
if it doesnt say gm,warranty wont cover it plan and simple,exhaust will most likeley never screw with your car ever,intake is a mehhh ie sucking air cause you didnt install the hose on right or punctured it and a remap will void everything thats why you can talk them out for warranty work

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.