Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Modding for Fuel Efficiency

27858 Views 99 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  XtremeRevolution
So I picked up a Cruze Eco over the weekend for one reason only - the MPG. I am currently looking to build this car for optimum fuel efficiency. I am looking for any tips. My biggest question is - does anyone know the weights of aftermarket parts vs. stock. I honestly do not care about power for this car, but I'm sure slimming her down and adding a bit more pick me up at the same time wouldn't be too bad. I'm open to anything - lighter exhaust, make the airflow less restrictive, coilovers to save weight, lighter wheels. I have looked around this forum, but have not seen weights posted for anything. Hopefully some vendors can chime in on this since they have to ship out a lot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ZZP Pipes - 10.6 [lbs]
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

· Premium Member
2,281 Posts
You have a Cruze Eco. I don't mean to sound like a prick but be happy. You should get 40 MPG without a problem. There is little you can do to improve the MPG on the Cruze Eco. The suspension is already dropped, weight is trimmed wherever is practically possible, already have cruddy LRR tires. The best you can do is get it tuned and drive efficiently.

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
...if you're not familiar with "hypermiling" driving techniques, consider visiting some of the economy-oriented websites, such as ecomodder.com

· Premium Member
2,132 Posts
...if you're not familiar with "hypermiling" driving techniques, consider visiting some of the economy-oriented websites, such as ecomodder.com
This! During my hypermiling experiment I achieved almost an extra 12 MPG in the city over my normal driving habits. Usually I get close to 17-18. I extended my fill up interval to every other week as opposed to pretty much every week. The hardest part is keeping the driving style and techniques going. As far as modifications go Trifecta has an Economy tune you can look into.

· Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I am modding for gas mileage as well, there are plenty of parts out there that will help. Seibon has carbon fiber Hood, trunk and fenders available that will shed some lbs off the car. ZZP makes a catless downpipe and mid-pipe that will not only improve gas mileage and power output, but they are also lighter that the stock pipes as well. Then there is the Trifecta tune which yields a big increase in power and people claim improved fuel economy as well but it also requires you to run premium fuel.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have a Cruze Eco. I don't mean to sound like a prick but be happy. You should get 40 MPG without a problem. There is little you can do to improve the MPG on the Cruze Eco. The suspension is already dropped, weight is trimmed wherever is practically possible, already have cruddy LRR tires. The best you can do is get it tuned and drive efficiently.
I don't mean to sound like a prick - but I know what car I purchased. Last time I checked a forum is just that - a forum. A place where you can talk freely and give advice. That is exactly what I am looking for. I am happy with the car, otherwise I would not have purchased it - that would just be silly. My question isn't if I bought a fuel efficient car or not, my question is how I can make it even MORE fuel efficient. Only the last part of your post has any relevance to my original question. No matter what car is out - there is always room for improvement.

This! During my hypermiling experiment I achieved almost an extra 12 MPG in the city over my normal driving habits. Usually I get close to 17-18. I extended my fill up interval to every other week as opposed to pretty much every week. The hardest part is keeping the driving style and techniques going. As far as modifications go Trifecta has an Economy tune you can look into.
Thank you, I am familiar with hypermiling and it does a world of difference when you can apply it.

I am modding for gas mileage as well, there are plenty of parts out there that will help. Seibon has carbon fiber Hood, trunk and fenders available that will shed some lbs off the car. ZZP makes a catless downpipe and mid-pipe that will not only improve gas mileage and power output, but they are also lighter that the stock pipes as well. Then there is the Trifecta tune which yields a big increase in power and people claim improved fuel economy as well but it also requires you to run premium fuel.
This is more of what I am looking for - by chance did you get some hard numbers of how much weight?

I looked at the carbon fiber hood and read that the guy only saved half a pound, but with the trunk he saved like 5-8 lbs.

Tuners can tune for anything you want them to tune for these days, on whatever fuel - you just have to let them know what the car is for.

Maybe some background would help. I have been around cars my whole life and I work as an engineer for a performance parts company. I have built all of my cars, but with this Eco I want to try something different. I am looking to try out a MPG build this time around. This to me is something completely new as I have always built cars to be more reliable and more powerful. Turbo cars are nothing new to me and I have access to a dyno in house (though not at the moment as we just moved to a new larger facility and still need to install it.)

· Banned
117 Posts
High flow cat or catless downpipe. K&N drop in air filter or an overall less restrictive intake. Tune it for economy aka lean it out. Get some aero parts on it to help the air move smoother over it. Depending on how creative you are under body panels help a lot with removing pockets where the air can cause resistance. An aluminum exhaust would help shed a lot of weight but it is also loud and not the best for a daily driver.

· Lyrical Wordsmith
6,632 Posts
This should be interesting lol i suggest you get the intake, downpipe, exhaust in first then buy the Trifect Tune specifying that you have those mods and are looking for optimum MPG. And Vince will get to work on it pronto, he has been quick to get things done around here.

· Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I can get the exact weight of the catless ZZP pipes later today when I'm off work, I have them sitting on my kitchen floor. I won't be able to get the weight of the stock pipes with cats until I pull them off the car, which probably won't be until Spring time. Maybe someone else who has replaced their downpipe and mid-pipe already can weigh them and chime in on this topic so we can compare them.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This should be interesting lol i suggest you get the intake, downpipe, exhaust in first then buy the Trifect Tune specifying that you have those mods and are looking for optimum MPG. And Vince will get to work on it pronto, he has been quick to get things done around here.
I hear Vince left and right, I take it he is Trifecta tune? Any more info about their tuning process? They just flash it with like a tactrix cable and wrote their own program to alter the tables?

I can get the exact weight of the catless ZZP pipes later today when I'm off work, I have them sitting on my kitchen floor. I won't be able to get the weight of the stock pipes with cats until I pull them off the car, which probably won't be until Spring time. Maybe someone else who has replaced their downpipe and mid-pipe already can weigh them and chime in on this topic so we can compare them.
That would be awesome - too much knowledge can't hurt anyone. I'm sure someone else can find this information useful.

· Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I hear Vince left and right, I take it he is Trifecta tune? Any more info about their tuning process? They just flash it with like a tactrix cable and wrote their own program to alter the tables?

That would be awesome - too much knowledge can't hurt anyone. I'm sure someone else can find this information useful.
The Trifecta tune is actually a dual map tune. With the cruise control activated it runs lower boost and a slightly leaned fuel map, with the cruise control off it pretty much maxes the stock turbo for optimum power output.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So you actually bought a Eco and don't even know your wheel size??
I knew they were lighter, but doubt they are lighter than Enkeis or Volks. I could care less about the OEM wheels, I will use them for winter or look for some 16s and pick up a different set for Summer. I'm more worried about the bolt pattern - I heard they are 5 x 105? If that is true, then that is a dumb size.

· Registered
178 Posts
I guess I just don't see the point of spending hundreds of dollars on trying to squeeze out a few extra mpg. It will take forever to recover the money you spent trying to obtain higher mpg. Lets say you spend $650 on a carbon fiber hood. You have an Eco so we will say you are currently getting 40 mpg overall. Lets say with this hood you now get an amazing 50 mpg overall. Assuming the price of gas would stay at $4 per gallon the entire time you are recovering the cost of the hood you would only be saving 2 cents per mile. You would have to drive 32,500 mile just to break even. If you are looking to save money you would be better off focusing on you driving style. If you are just looking to do this to see what you can achieve then I say go for it and let us know what to find.

BTW even if gas was $10 per gallon you would still have to drive 13,000 miles to break even.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
i guess i just don't see the point of spending hundreds of dollars on trying to squeeze out a few extra mpg. It will take forever to recover the money you spent trying to obtain higher mpg. Lets say you spend $650 on a carbon fiber hood. You have an eco so we will say you are currently getting 40 mpg overall. Lets say with this hood you now get an amazing 50 mpg overall. Assuming the price of gas would stay at $4 per gallon the entire time you are recovering the cost of the hood you would only be saving 2 cents per mile. You would have to drive 32,500 mile just to break even. If you are looking to save money you would be better off focusing on you driving style. If you are just looking to do this to see what you can achieve then i say go for it and let us know what to find.

Btw even if gas was $10 per gallon you would still have to drive 13,000 miles to break even.
Rice the h-e-double hockey sticks out of it!!!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.