Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Modding the Cruze

2262 Views 17 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  obermd
I just cannot get the urge to mod the Cruze. I have done the basic's (removed res, regapped plugs) those type of things, and am having the body shop install the RS bumper. But other then that, I just do not have the urge to upgrade.

I have my supercharged Sunfire, and its under the knife right now getting new brakes and suspension and intake an dfuel mods and lots more, Lots and lots of changes for it. But I dunno. The Cruze just doesn't feed my bug to mod.

anyone else like this?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
332 Posts
Most people would see that as normal as it's not a practical car, tiny displacement, shaped like a brick, etc., but I'm glad I did mine. $1,500 in mods and I can crawl a stock FR-S, not that most would see that as fast but when you start at 138 hp @ 3,011 lbs I see it as a great accomplishment.

It's quick enough for me, a gorgeously shaped car, comfortable, reliable, great mpg and I still have six years of warrant left.

· Registered
332 Posts
Fair enough. I just think when you stand back and look at the fact that it's a Cruze and I've hardly had to spend any money on modifications, it's impressive to me. My RX-8 wasn't much faster, and my Cruze sounds much better. I think this car is slightly faster than my '05 Monte SS/SC.

Other drivers just don't expect the sound or performance and seeing the look on their faces alone makes it all worth it.

But I also don't already have a car that's faster like you do, so I can completely see your lack of interest in modding a car that won't even be as fast.

· Super Moderator
5,241 Posts
I am feeling the same way. I bought the tune for the car which is currently installed but thinking of removing again and changing my plug gap. The tune well? It works but I am not into really driving fast anymore or taking "someone off the line". The car is just transportation for me.

· Registered
158 Posts
As an autoshop teacher once said "I can't for the life of me figure out why these kids buy slow cars, spend thousands on them, and while they might be a bit faster, they are still slow. A shetland pony will never win the kentucky derby." He says the same things about people spending thousands on harleys, then spending thousands more to make them faster, while a stock rice burner at half the price will blow it's foot pegs off. If you want to go fast, then start with something fast.

Some cars are just better off running as-is. I'm all for some of the cool things people are doing to individualize their cruzes though.

· Lyrical Wordsmith
6,632 Posts
I am feeling the same way. I bought the tune for the car which is currently installed but thinking of removing again and changing my plug gap. The tune well? It works but I am not into really driving fast anymore or taking "someone off the line". The car is just transportation for me.
That's what I said. But having the option of going fast is nice :)

--Posting this from my toaster--

· Registered
487 Posts
I'm dressing mine up to make it look all nice and pretty, but as far as the mechanical aspect of it, I'll probably change out the exhaust some time and do a tune to it, but that's it. It's a commuter car to me. Don't drive faster then I have to anymore and if someone wants to beat me off the line, that's their gas they're wasting, not mine.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
I'm not going to do a thing to mine besides maintenance. I bought the car to run hopefully 150-200,000 miles, and that's what I intend to do to it.

A basic tune might improve it a little bit, but as it is, it's good on gas, quick enough to scoot around town in (MT helps immensely), handles decently, and it does not ever have the potential to be "fast" like anything else on the road with a *modern* V6 these days.

I've been down the road before to try to get more and more power out of a car, and it just got more and more unreliable the more power I pushed from it. When the transmission popped a solenoid on a hard downshift, I just put everything back to stock and it lives on in that form today.

· Premium Member
850 Posts
I had this issue when I owned my 2010 Camaro SS and my 2012 Sonic LT Turbo. When money was available, I would choose which car to mod.

Now that I have just one car, the decision is both easier on me, and my wallet :D

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They aren't Thomas. The actual bumper cover is 10-15 bucks cheaper then the NON RS bumper. The other two required parts totaled like 65 and some change, so he is charging me an even 50 for the upgrade. The original work was warranty work. I mentioned that it would be cool if they could do the RS, and he said if they had to replace the bumper that they would do it as long as I didn't mind paying the difference.

The front RS bumper cover is cheaper as well, but then you have to buy the lower grill and fog light bezels and all that.

· Super Moderator
5,241 Posts
That's what I said. But having the option of going fast is nice :)

--Posting this from my toaster--
I didn't say that I don't like going fast. Probably why I have not removed the tune yet even though I am looking at gas prices going up. I just don't think about doing it on a regular basis.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
My ECO MT is the first car I've modded in anyway. However I believe the mods are done. All my mods were to fix what I perceived as shortcomings - no Bluetooth AUX, no spare tire, and get rid of the Radio Control car antenna.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.