Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Modifications that Pay

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  IcedHatchet 
#1 ·
From my understanding many modifications we willingly do to our lovely little car may be placing more stress on its mechanical components, potentially shortening their lives and costing us more $$$ down the road (literally).

My question is what modifications can we invest in that not only increase performance but may actually help our Cruzes to last longer? Or at the very least ONLY help it last longer?

So far the only things my mechanically-naïve mind is aware of include the PCV valve fix and regular maintenance (fluid changes, etc). Anything else come to mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Following this thread....

But the only thing that comes to mind is whatever you can do to reduce weight...both unsprung weight in wheels/tires is a huge help. Gen 1 Eco Tires were mentioned...also pay attention to tire weights too when you buy them. Weight reduction could be realized in other areas such as exhaust. This improves acceleration/fuel economy, suspension responsiveness and reduces stress on the engine.

#3 · (Edited)
Along with regular fluid maintenance (brake/trans/coolant), take care of the plastic crap that breaks in the cooling system before it actually goes.

Thermostats are an occasional issues on 1.4's, but more common on 1.8s (housing on these too). The 1.4 has a definite weak point in the coolant inlet/hose to expansion tank on the right side of the motor. Check that the cooling fan still operates on low speed with AC on...lots of those have failed and only work on high.

#5 ·
On that thermostat note, I've heard that we currently have a 220-something degree thermostat. Would it make sense to invest in a thermostat that opens at a lower temperature in your opinion if we end up replacing the thermostat? I think I've heard 176 degrees thrown around somewhere? I'm assuming the idea is less heat = less wear over time?

#4 ·
Remove all the extraneous junk many people carry in their car's trunk. This will help city MPG, at least according to the EPA. The Gen 1 ECO was about 150 lbs lighter than the 1LT and received a two MPG boost on the EPA city rating.