Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GM is now going to recall 1.3 million vehicles for faulty power steering. So far nothing about the Cruze, however.

News Link

I'm thinking that this whole ignition thing may finally be scaring GM enough they they are going to be proactive on a lot more issues instead of taking the wait-and-see approach as they seem to have done with several Cruze issues like power steering, water pumps, and coolant smell.

EDIT: Changed link to one with more details.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I seen the list of cars a few minutes ago on google news, cruze not included. I will deal with my sometimes notchy & twitchy steering until GM decided to recall this potential safety issue or I finally trade my car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yay, more old products with defects that got swept under the rug by the bad management of the past. More egg on face for GM. Or is it the whole laying hen at this point? Hopefully the new management really is serious about safety and quality, and this kind of action will prove that instead of just making GM look bad.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just wanted to add:

Please don't turn this thread into yet another GM or Cruze bashing thread (not that anyone has yet, I'm just saying). I simply wanted to share the news. Despite how much many (most?) of us like our Cruzen and despite how much I still think it is a great car that is hard to beat, there is no denying the Cruze has some known issues that we would all like addressed, and perhaps this is good news for the hope that they will be addressed eventually instead of shoved under the rug.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Good. Its nice to see gm finally stepping up. I know of no other company that has had so many eps problems

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Recalls in my opinion are a good thing. Rather than ignoring a past product, it means the car companies are trying to help out their customers, and keep them happy and feeling safe in their vehicles until they can buy a new one from hopefully that same company.

GM isn't the only one that has recently recalled much older vehicles - Chrysler, Ford, Honda, and Toyota have all done it quite recently as well.

My hope is that they are researching Cruze models affected and will issue something for PS issues further down the line.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
It doesn't look so good when half their recalls are for vehicles that are 8+ years old. Most of those vehicles don't even belong to the original owners anymore.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
A servo system slight torque on the steering wheel generates an error voltage where a powerful electric motor takes control. Only takes one poor solder connection. Older electrical power steering systems can get carried away, and even jerk the wheel out of your hand.

To the best of my knowledge with the Cruze, any codes developed shuts the system down. EPA has been the major push for electric power steering trying to eliminate some of the fluids in the vehicle to ease recycling. Ha, that's all they care about, is recycling.

Glanced at CNN news about the new woman CEO, less than 100 days at this job, she has her hands full. Only gave this about 5 seconds, rest of it is talking to experts on MH370. They could be honest and simply say, I don't know.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My '06 Ion had the power steering rack and motor changed out no-charge 3 yrs ago so this is not entirely new, Cobalts were also covered.

JK

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Cobalts only got covered in late 09 or 2010. Before that people had to pay out of their own pocket. Although they were reimbursed when the recall came out.

I looked on carcomplaints.com and there's almost no complaints about the power steering issues with cruze's so that leads me to believe at least the cruze issues might be few and far between :)

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
It doesn't look so good when half their recalls are for vehicles that are 8+ years old. Most of those vehicles don't even belong to the original owners anymore.
Actually I think it does. It shows that General Motors, LLC, takes seriously the safety of vehicles produced by General Motors, Inc. During GM's bankruptcy the company was split into two parts - a profitable part and a profit losing part. GM, LLC has stepped up to the plate and is taking care of pre-bankruptcy GM customers.

This is the opposite of what Chrysler did last fall when it fought the NHTSA on recalling 8-12 year old Jeeps for potential gas tank damage in rear end collisions.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Good. Its nice to see gm finally stepping up. I know of no other company that has had so many eps problems
The NHTSA forced Toyota and BMW to redesign their EPS systems.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I'm not surprised as the Cobalt was known for having EPS issues. Having Cobalt SS power steering flake out during autocross or on track days is a bad thing. So far we haven't heard similar issues from folks doing track days or auto-x with their Cruzes.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The NHTSA forced Toyota and BMW to redesign their EPS systems.
Really? I did not know this. Sometimes I feel like the media picks on one brand of vehicle more than another depending on a given month

Reactions: spacedout

·
Registered
158 Posts
GM is handing out recalls like candy all of a sudden. I agree that it's a good thing overall. They are taking their customers safety seriously and have acknowledged accountability on behalf of the old GM. Classy move to handle it now I believe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im a long time lurker here just wanted to give you guys a heads up on my situation... My steering wheel has be locking first at highway speeds and then anytime you drive in a straight line. I took the car in today and the tech recreated the issue and needed to call in to Chevy to see if was a known issue. He came back and said corporate said a TSB is rolling out for this issue replace my rack and pinion, PS motor and a sensor. I have a 2012 ECO.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My power steering does the same thing on my Cruze, but not all the time. A little annoying, but not a safety issue at the moment. This and the coolant smell, that I have traced to the area around the coolant tank, are so far the only issues I have had with my 13' Cruze. The coolant smell is not coming from the water pump on mine, not to say that I will not have to have the pump replaced, but it is not currently the issue with mine. Just a strong odor around the tank itself. Seems to be coming from the lower left hand side of tank. Do not see any leaks, and no coolant loss, just odor. Have 29k on it, and has not been to shop yet, but if I have any other issues to pop up, will send in to have them all checked out at the same time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think the ignition issue has been going on for a lot longer than they realize or want to admit. I had a 2000 Saturn SL1 that I traded for my Cruze that had the ignition issue. Thankfully when it was replaced it was in the garage and I or my husband wasn't driving it. It had to be towed to the dealership for replacement because my entire steering column locked up.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Please let us know if you have any question regarding the recall(s). We can be reached via private message if needed. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 20 of 27 Posts