Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I originally though that oil was blowing out of my oil cap from damaged caused by my oil catch can issues. So I was going to pull off the valve cover to see what was going on. Obviously the PCV system was blocked some how. From everything I've rad and heard from techs at GM, there are two PCV valves, one at the turbo and another in the valve cover. The one in the valve cover is not serviceable (will get to that in a minute). Last time I had this problem they replaced my valve cover.

So, I took off the valve cover to check things out.

Engine Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Compact car

Markj2222 mentions that the baffles are enclosed. Usually baffles help keep oil in the valve cover while letting air vent out. I thought maybe mine had collapsed or something. As he said, there is an enclosed channel that air runs through that is in fact sealed off. Looking at the system, air coming into the valve cover will travel over to the cam gears and into the head and will make their way up into the valve cover. The air goes from #3 and #2 around the valve cover and over to #1 where it travels to the port on the intake manifold that connects the PCV tube.

Technology Tire Automotive tire Auto part Compact car

So, what they heck?! What is my problem? I figure there is something inside the channel that is blocking air flow. So I flood the channel with water and force air through it. I do all sorts of tests on it with air and blocking each port, forward and back. All seems fine. Then, just out of curiosity I have a look at that round thing that is across from the oil cap. I always wondered what that way. So I look at it close and notice that it has a little spout that is open. It's a vent! Then I notice that the channel forces the air into this area before it goes to #1 to exit the valve cover.

Auto part Engine Bumper Technology Vehicle

Inside of this thing is a diaphragm! Look in there close and you'll see an orange rubber piece. There is a spring attached to it (at least that what it feels like when I press down on it with a tool). So there isn't a "valve" in there, it's a diaphragm and apparently when the PCV system isn't working correctly it gets jacked up. So I clog up all 3 ports and blow air into the channel. Out comes water from the that tiny vent.

The reason why it's not serviceable is because that channel cover and the cap to the diaphragm are sonic welded in place. I'm sure I could have gotten them off (maybe without damage) but I doubt I could get them back on in a way that they would be able to handle the pressure.

So, this is how our PCV system works and what is under/in that valve cover.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,939 Posts
Hmm, very interesting.

Wonder if they've redesigned it to handle this any better.

Diaphragm makes sense though - a valve simply wouldn't work for a turbo application.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't herd bout the valve cover having a second design. But I know the head had a second design out. Last week there were three cars that came in and that was leaking and it can be herd.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q

·
Registered
647 Posts
this is why the catch cans will not work on our cars

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Here is a break down of what's covered under the Powertrain Warranty. I can't say for sure without a diagnostic but here is the information for you to read. Hope this link is helpful.

Chevrolet Warranty

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, valve cover is covered under warranty. I purchased the extended warranty and I've had my first valve cover replaced under the original and my 2nd one under the extended.

While both have been damaged by a catch can, I do believe that you can utilize one, but it has to be correctly designed and built.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Yes, valve cover is covered under warranty.
Can you purchase this after buying the car my factory warranty is still in.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 3.
Which is bigger than my hand.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Purchase an extended warranty? You'd have to ask your dealer. I bought it when I signed for the car. It's through a 3rd party provider so I'm sure you can.

If you mean the valve cover, you can but they want your VIN and they track the parts you buy so be careful on what you do.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Purchase an extended warranty? You'd have to ask your dealer. I bought it when I signed for the car. It's through a 3rd party provider so I'm sure you can.

If you mean the valve cover, you can but they want your VIN and they track the parts you buy so be careful on what you do.
I meant warranty.

·
5,722 Posts

H3llON3ARTH,

You can also look into the General Motor Protection Plans. These can be purchased prior to your warranty expiration. Please private message me for the website.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
H3llON3ARTH,

You can also look into the General Motor Protection Plans. These can be purchased prior to your warranty expiration. Please private message me for the website.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Can you provide us a link to what is covered on the emission warranty? I would think PCV is emissions but I am probably wrong.

·
5,722 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone, i am new to this group and searched this topic as i am having the same issue with my 11 cruz. i bought it used in 2014, and within 30 days of me buying it, i had this problem happen and they fixed the issue under the powertrain warranty. Of course, the same thing happened again recently after the 1 year guarantee of repairs done. Called Chevy customer care, apparently my car was used as a rental car or something in October of 2010, which screwed me out of my warranty by 2015. No one told me that. But my real issue is, i see this is a continuing problem with this cars as with other owners. I had to pay out $864 to fix the problem this time, my case rep is trying to tell me they wont cover it because I'm out of my power train warranty.. I didnt know it went into service at the end of 2010, and not in 2011 as i bought a 2011 car.. I have only driven my cruz less than 10k since owning it for the last 2 years... I am frustrated because if they fixed this problem once, i shouldn't have to fix it again if they did it right... I asked the guys if they used the "new version" so it wouldnt keep happening, but they had no clue what i was talking about.. I would understand if i caused this problem, but it seems like faulty design issues on their end which i shouldn't be responsible for..

I was looking more into this, and it looks like the PCV valve, intake manifold and some other PCV parts should be covered under an emissions state warranty? If that is the case, then should they be able to cover it under that instead of the powertrain?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.