Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I'm new here. I have a 2012 Eco 6 speed that I bought new. Now has 146k miles on it. I'd say the last 5k miles or so the shifting has felt "clunky" to me or what I assume you guys on this site mean as "notchy". Has gotten worse over time. It never grinds and it always shifts except for sometimes reverse is like hitting a wall on a cold start and I have to play with it a little bit. Going through all the shifts it just feels like it is catching on something but still does make the shift. So from reading on here I think it's a transmission fluid change needed, especially since it still has the factory fluid in it and you guys recommend changing as early in the cars life as possible.

Here are the questions/clarification that I need.

Which Amsoil oil/fluid should I be using? The synchromesh 5w-30 or manual 75w-90? This is simply a daily driver unmodified car. Nothing special. This car gets most of its miles in the colder PA winters.

Is it still recommended to use 2.5 qt?

I've found the how-to on the fluid change. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
I preferred the Amsoil synchromesh but others prefer the heavier gear oil. Either will work. Change it every 45-50K miles.

·
Super Moderator
6,825 Posts
Hello I'm new here. I have a 2012 Eco 6 speed that I bought new. Now has 146k miles on it. I'd say the last 5k miles or so the shifting has felt "clunky" to me or what I assume you guys on this site mean as "notchy". Has gotten worse over time. It never grinds and it always shifts except for sometimes reverse is like hitting a wall on a cold start and I have to play with it a little bit. Going through all the shifts it just feels like it is catching on something but still does make the shift. So from reading on here I think it's a transmission fluid change needed, especially since it still has the factory fluid in it and you guys recommend changing as early in the cars life as possible.

Here are the questions/clarification that I need.

Which Amsoil oil/fluid should I be using? The synchromesh 5w-30 or manual 75w-90? This is simply a daily driver unmodified car. Nothing special. This car gets most of its miles in the colder PA winters.

Is it still recommended to use 2.5 qt?

I've found the how-to on the fluid change. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.
Welcome Aboard!(y)

How-To: Change the Manual Transmission Fluid
AMSOIL Products for the 2011-2015, 2016 Limited Gen1 Cruze

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put 2.5qt new Amsoil Synchromesh 5w-30 in last night and it is shifting much more smoothly now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts