Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like a pretty quiet forum which I assume means there are very few GEN 2 diesels or very few problems. Now that they have been around for three years I thought it might be interesting to see what kind of miles people are registering. As the miles and years go by feel free to post your GEN 2 Cruze high mileage accomplishment. I will go first. 2018 Chevrolet Cruze. Bought March of 2018. Now at 29,318 miles including of which 25k were in the last 12 months.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought my 2017, June 2017, it was on the lot for 3 days. Its been a great car. Normal maintenance items only. 30k on the clock. This is my work car and sits most of the winter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have a 2018 diesel gen 2 hatchback, RS 6 speed manual. I’m at 40,890 miles as of today.

Great car but I’ve been dealing with a horrible shuttering feeling that lasts for 30 seconds when you start driving after the car has been sitting. 3 dealerships have lied and/or given up trying to diagnose it. GM senior advisor dropped me like a hot potato.

Fantastic car other than the dealership experience. My guess is my egr and egr cooler is clogged but I can’t get a dealership willing to eat the cost, which is what GM has told them to do as “good will”.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Bought new 2018 diesel sedan w/ 9spd auto in Aug. 2018. A little over 42k miles now. Zero issues to date.

Reactions: BodhiBenz1987

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ordered mine new in 2018 and picked it up April 16 that year. Diesel sedan w/ 6-speed manual. I just turned over 29k miles today. To be honest I expected to use it more than I do. Since I work from home now I only drive it two or three times a week, but when I do it's mostly highway. I avoid short errands with it as I have other older cars for that. It's also spent a lot of time at dealers for the same problem that hasn't been diagnosed/fixed for 1.5 years. That said it's never stranded me, and never been undrivable or had any drivability problem. The only CEL it's had was a turbo failure at 12k that manifested in no noticeable symptoms (some kind of internal electronic failure throwing a vane position code). It's a quirky beast but at this point I plan to keep it as long as it lasts ... I'd hoped that would be forever but we'll see. I'd love to pile some more mileage on if the state of the world allows. My lifetime fuel economy is still around 51 mpg so it does its job.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.6 L TD 9T50
51 Posts
Got a '17 auto in September of '17 brand new. Just rolled over 90,000 miles with no issues. I almost drive exclusively highway, which is where these cars are designed to run well. Avoid frequent, short-distant trips, perform regular maintenance, and this car should treat ya pretty well! 🍻

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have 3 of them in the family, 1 with the 6 sp manual, the other 2 the 9sp auto. The 6sp manual has the most miles, just under 30K, the 2017 auto next with about 25k, and the last one has about 10K. There have been some issues, no breakdowns, all able to drive in for warranty repairs. The dual mass flywheel in the manual let go at 12K, replaced under warranty and has been without other issues since. That car also had the MyLink replaced for some erratic wireless and bluetooth issues, which continue, but a bit different now. I also had the drive door handle replaced, as the button was working intermittently. It also has the EGR cooler, and an injectory replaced. The 2017 had the EGR cooler replaced, that became a saga due to parts not being availible and caused it to be stuck at the dealership for a couple of months waiting for a GASKET of all things. It also had a rattle repaired near the drivers side door post, as well as the rear driver side handle with that switch stopped working. The last 2018 has thus far only had oil changes, it did have the EGR DTC code at one point, but cleared on it's own and when the dealer had it for oil change it had cleared from memory, so not replaced like the other 2.

I also have a Gen 1, that has about 60K miles. It's had mostly emmissions items worked under warranty, and not much since.. it did have an issue with a oil spout/bracket that broke (design issue) that I just found and fixed before it became a bigger issue.. that is not an issue at all with the Gen 2 having the filter and drain right next to each other on the oil pan.. a very easy to work with location.

These are pretty rare cars with the Diesel engine.. I think I have probably more in my family that the rest of the county.. and it's unlikely there are many others one have 4 cruze Diesels. (If you look at my photo avatar, that is the 4 Cruzes in the driveway)>

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have 3 of them in the family, 1 with the 6 sp manual, the other 2 the 9sp auto. The 6sp manual has the most miles, just under 30K, the 2017 auto next with about 25k, and the last one has about 10K. There have been some issues, no breakdowns, all able to drive in for warranty repairs. The dual mass flywheel in the manual let go at 12K, replaced under warranty and has been without other issues since. That car also had the MyLink replaced for some erratic wireless and bluetooth issues, which continue, but a bit different now. I also had the drive door handle replaced, as the button was working intermittently. It also has the EGR cooler, and an injectory replaced. The 2017 had the EGR cooler replaced, that became a saga due to parts not being availible and caused it to be stuck at the dealership for a couple of months waiting for a GASKET of all things. It also had a rattle repaired near the drivers side door post, as well as the rear driver side handle with that switch stopped working. The last 2018 has thus far only had oil changes, it did have the EGR DTC code at one point, but cleared on it's own and when the dealer had it for oil change it had cleared from memory, so not replaced like the other 2.

I also have a Gen 1, that has about 60K miles. It's had mostly emmissions items worked under warranty, and not much since.. it did have an issue with a oil spout/bracket that broke (design issue) that I just found and fixed before it became a bigger issue.. that is not an issue at all with the Gen 2 having the filter and drain right next to each other on the oil pan.. a very easy to work with location.

These are pretty rare cars with the Diesel engine.. I think I have probably more in my family that the rest of the county.. and it's unlikely there are many others one have 4 cruze Diesels. (If you look at my photo avatar, that is the 4 Cruzes in the driveway)>
Sometimes I wish I had a reason to get a second one just so I could compare the two. 😂 One of the downsides of the low production is there's such a small pool of other owners online, in addition to it being really hard to actually gauge how my driving style or conditions compare to someone else's.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
300 Posts
'17 Sedan 6sp purchased March '17. I'm sitting at 99,900 miles -- just shy of 100k. The first year was pretty rough, but since then it's been great. Fun to drive. Great fuel economy. It's starting to show symptoms of clutch slave cylinder failure.

I would have had 100k back in March or April of this year, but coronavirus has me working from home. I almost don't need the Cruze now, which is a shame because I like the car.

I know there are some other folks with well over 100k on Gen2 diesels. Surprised they haven't shown up here yet.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My 2014 CTD has around 140k on it it. Eventually I was looking to move to a 2019 CTD (if I could even find one for sale). This thread gives me hope that it won't have nearly as many issues as my car had (thankfully most under warranty).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought my diesel 6 speed in feb of 2018. Today I have 124,xxx miles. Being stuck at home for months kept me from getting closer to 150k....

The only things I have had to replace so far are tires (3x) and I just got done replacing the clutch slave cylinder (not a fun job)

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have close to 98,000 with tires being the only thing i have had to replace. the dealer did ruin my air box replacing a filter one time, but i don't count that as a fail, just got a guy that didn't know what he was doing.. Still running the original brake pads and i know the front pads are getting close to metal. still loving the Cruze and i would buy another if I could.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well we drove to Fort Worth, Texas about 7 hours to visit our son and family. Halfway through the trip the check engine light came on. Stopped by a Chevy dealer and they allowed it was a knock sensor code, but had no diesel mechanic there to fix it. I hope we make it back home before the car goes into limp mode, or worse. I have messed up my luck bragging on the car. Any thoughts about how long it will run with this problem? I’ll be at my dealership first thing Tuesday morning if we can get home tomorrow.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well we drove to Fort Worth, Texas about 7 hours to visit our son and family. Halfway through the trip the check engine light came on. Stopped by a Chevy dealer and they allowed it was a knock sensor code, but had no diesel mechanic there to fix it. I hope we make it back home before the car goes into limp mode, or worse. I have messed up my luck bragging on the car. Any thoughts about how long it will run with this problem? I’ll be at my dealership first thing Tuesday morning if we can get home tomorrow.
I think they meant NOx sensor, pronouncing in "Nox". If that is what it is I don't think it will affect driveability. I believe someone else on here had a bad NOx sensor and was able to keep driving while they waited for the part to come in. Hope you make it home smoothly and get it all sorted. Still pretty impressive to have that be your only item needing replacement after almost 100k miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think they meant NOx sensor, pronouncing in "Nox". If that is what it is I don't think it will affect driveability. I believe someone else on here had a bad NOx sensor and was able to keep driving while they waited for the part to come in. Hope you make it home smoothly and get it all sorted. Still pretty impressive to have that be your only item needing replacement after almost 100k miles.
You are right. He did say Nox sensor. What’s weird is that an hour into the trip home, the check engine light went off. Not sure if we need to worry about it or not

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took delivery of my new 2019 td hatchback yesterday, Sep 10, 2020. It was a bit of a goat show.. A key pfob was missing and the A/C didn't work, but the dealership (Pike Wheaton in Red Deer Alberta) had everything sorted out and repaired/replaced by 10:00am the next morning. For those interested they still had one brand new LT and 3 low milage LT demos on the lot. I'm now trying to find out how to install LED head lights but just try and find out what bulb goes in there. I know it quotes 9005 but both the low and high beams are in the same projector on my car. It had been suggested that they might be 9004/HB2. When I get time I'll dig them out of the housing and all shall be revealed.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
It uses 9005. The se bulb is always on low or high beam a mechanical shutter is used to block some light when low beams are on. I've got GTR Ultra2s in my car. (And $40 Amazon Chinese LEDs in my fogs...which are STOOPID bright.) The Ultra2s require some easy mods to the bulb cover in order for them to fit.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts