1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ugh. So tired of reviewers saying how "stylish" and "sleek" the fords look. It is so **** subjective. I think the Fords are so bland and boring, especially the new Focus.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Thats a much better test than Car and Driver. They weren't so Ford biased here, and they presented rather objectively which is appreciated.

I still like the Cruze better though haha

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I guess I am getting old or something but I think the cruze looks way better than the focus. the rear of the cruze looks awesome rs or no rs. the focus just looks too straight and bland.

the interior of the focus is just too dang busy for me. and that is what i thought when I drove one too. one other note is the focus does not have a split fold rear seat - that is a deal breaker for me. I m always carrying something with my daughter in back so I use the split fold down a lot.

the thing that seems to be disappointing to me is the mileage from the 1.4 liter. my 96 civic had a 1.6 liter and I got like 28/29 with the a/c on and 32 with it off.

so far driving the cruze for a week the display says I am averaging 24.7 mpg with the lowest being 24.5 and the highest being 25.8. was expecting better but I will give a few fillups and test my actual mpg when I buy gas and the mileage I traveled.

so far I have driven over 200 miles and just over half a tank mark so I would expect somewhere in the 400 - 450 mile range per tankful. granted I have been idling a lot too cause I have been naturally setting things up with the radio etc so we will see.

but I was hoping something in the neighborhood of 28 - 32 mpg city driving with a 1.4 liter.
still think the cruze rides better than the focus.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
The Focus looks like it'll be more fun to drive on paper. Can't decide which interior I like better though. I'm not quite sure how the Focus front makes me feel.

the thing that seems to be disappointing to me is the mileage from the 1.4 liter. my 96 civic had a 1.6 liter and I got like 28/29 with the a/c on and 32 with it off.
Your Civic also weighed 700lbs less. :D

·
Registered
559 Posts
The issue with targeting the younger demographic is that not many 18-26 yo's can spend 25K on a new car. The Cruze seems more targeted at the 30 and 40 something folks that tend to have more disposable income. 10-15 years ago I would have preferred the Focus, no doubt in my mind, but making 32K a year then I couldn't spend 24 of it on a car. It would be a coin toss for me right now, but the Cruze is a better value. The prices are similar for a nicely equipped model, but the Focus keeps tacking on for features like 2 tone interior, heated seats and remote start that are standard on the LTZ. Plus with the Focus's 18 wheels you have to do something for winter. I did that with my 18's anyway by getting winter tires and rims, but Im glad I did not have to, could have gotten by with the Pilots.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just asked the wife what she thought of the Focus's styling. This is actual audio:

"It looks like its trying to eat your face off, but it can't, so its frowning....."

BTW, the "eat your face off" is something that I started in our family when the first new gen Charger came out. I said that I get nervous sitting across an intersection from one because it looks like it is going to come over here and eat my face off. We use that for the Camaro too.

She likes the 2 tone interior, but not $450 more like. Plus $470 more for heated seats, and $445 for remote start......

·
Registered
283 Posts
There is not a car out there in my mind that has a better looking front end than the Cruze. Next up for me would be the Honda civic's. I kinda took it personal ( lol ) when C&D only rated it fourth out of the five. AHHHH Whadda they know??

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went and looked at the focus as well, and it just seemed so small compared to the Cruze. Of course I came from an 05 dodge magnum which was certainly a boat if I ever saw one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think it's a bit funny how backseat room is always a con with compacts, as is with the Cruze.
While the EPA considers is a "mid-size" and us owners, I have an ECO, clearly see it's bigger then a traditional compact, it still remains a "small" car. If leg room in the back, or anywhere, then one must upgrade. My father was 6'3" and always had to get full size. Just the way of the world.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
TBH i bought the Cruze out of "looks". I originally wanted a used Murano they had (thank god i didn't $4 gas prices) but the salesman was like "Look at the Cruze" as i was following i was already thinking "Bland interior, bland exterior, GM is crappy".

Boy was i wrong, i was hooked, i only had heard of the Cruze though a few commercials...

Focus looks like a Mouse, and Corolla looks like a frustrated wealthy Italian man (inside joke).

·
Registered
97 Posts
focus looks like a mouse, and corolla looks like a frustrated wealthy italian man (inside joke).
lmao!
Now that I think about it, the Focus does look like a rodent..lol.
It just has that look that I couldnt describe up until now....

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Fords are so boring!!!!!! especially the inside
Having shopped the Ford Edge before buying a 2010 Chevy Equinox, and also shopped the new Focus (AFTER ordering my Cruze), I have to agree that the interior of Fords are rather bland and not quite as well 'finished'.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts