Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what everyone uses for motor oil weather you do it yourself or take it in to a dealer or quick lube? More specifically do you use conventional, or some sort of synthetic? What do you recommend from personal experience? Thanks!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, back to using Quaker State oil again like I have been for the last 60 some years since they added that dexos label to it. Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic Oil.

Or maybe because its four bucks cheaper for a five quart bottle than Mobile One. Quaker State is the first oil producing company in the USA, started back in 1858 and have driven several vehicles well over 200K miles without problems.

But you sure have a wide choice as long as its dexos approved, can find a lot of motor oils that are at:

dexos1 Brands | GM dexos™ Licensing Program

Only if you want to maintain your warranty.

Only one person I trust in changing my oil, me. Well two of my son's, I trained them well. I know the filter has been changed, know what oil is poured in there and the correct amount, no everything is torqued properly, and don't spill a drop. Oil cap is tight and dipstick fully inserted or else your check engine lamp will come on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, what is the best oil change interval for the Cruze? 3,000 or 5,000 miles? My last oil change was actually at a Quaker State, just a few weeks ago in my old car. I am thinking about going to an all synthetic oil, maybe even a blend.

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
If you are using a synthetic/semi synthetic, I would say let it go to @ 5000. That way you can change oil and rotate tires at same time. At least that is what I do. Typically I buy my oil from the local auto parts store however, We have a dealer on this forum and he can set you up with Amsoil which is a really good oil synthetic. I would say look @ 5K for your changes with a good Dexos oil.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Driving a Cruze, right? Have to abide by that oil remaining indicator, could go as low as 0% plus 600 miles, but being a bit more conservative, 20% oil remaining was enough for me. Or at least once per year, and have to use a dexos approved oil. All this is in your owners manual. But only if you want to maintain your warranty.

If you have the 1.4L Turbo, better use a full synthetic oil or that turbo will be toast.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
First, use a dexos1 or equivalent oil. If using the AC Delco (dealer) or other semi-synthetic blend, don't go over 6,000 miles between oil changes. If using a full synthetic you can run the OLM safely down to 20%.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are all dexos1 oil's synthetic or the semi-synthetics? Any dexos1 conventional oils?

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
All dexos1 oils are at least semi-synthetic.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I am just a noob dealing with dexos1 for the first time. Seems like there is just so many things to be aware of.

·
Registered
189 Posts
In 2003 I bought a 1998 Acura with 54,000 miles and did my own oil changes with Amsoil synthetic every 5,000 miles. Over the years, as my driving decreased, I switched to changing the oil once a year or about 7,500 miles (as recommended in the owner’s manual) simply because it was more convenient. Twelve years and 117,000 miles later (for a total of 171,000 miles) when I traded in the car, it did not use/lose oil and the engine was still strong. The oil never looked super dirty nor have a burnt smell. The last three years of ownership I switched to a Valvoline quick change place, still using full synthetic. Now that I have an oil life monitor system on my Cruze I’ll keep an eye on the percentage remaining vs. the once-a-year schedule. It will be interesting to see what the reading is in one year.
I've always been suspicious of those quick oil change places but the one I go to has a good reputation and so far they seem to be o.k. Besides, I really don't feel like doing my own oil changes anymore!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not into doing the oil changes myself anymore. I'll just leave it to the professionals. I do hope the quick lubes know to use dexos1 when it's required. I've never actually used full synthetic in the past due to the higher costs. It will be an adjustment with having the Cruze now but if I can get away with longer intervals between oil changes it might make the change livable.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm not into doing the oil changes myself anymore. I'll just leave it to the professionals. I do hope the quick lubes know to use dexos1 when it's required. I've never actually used full synthetic in the past due to the higher costs. It will be an adjustment with having the Cruze now but if I can get away with longer intervals between oil changes it might make the change livable.
Valvoline says Synpower meets the dexos1 specs in 5w20 and 5w30 (like your Cruze takes).
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf
From the Valvoline oil change website:
[FONT=&quot]"Type of oil needed depends upon the make and model of your vehicle and the manufacturer’s recommendation. Valvoline Instant Oil Change service centers always consult manufacturer recommendations when providing you with choices and recommendations for the type of oil to be used in your car."[/FONT]

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I am to lazy these days to change my own, other things I would rather do. I have it done by my dealer while the car is under the free maintenance plan. Then I go to Fleet Farm and have Mobile 1 put in. I use mobile 1 in everything I own from snow blower to lawn motor to Saturn Sky with turbo.

The Sky uses fully synthetic Mobile 1 and is what it was filled with from the factory. Mobile 1 is actually on the top of the oil fill cap as the recommended oil. Conventional oil is supposed coke up and plug the turbo oil lines on my Sky figure it has to be good for the Cruze also

Oh and for you purists who want to tell me I should use 30 weight non detergent oil on my mower, I really don't want to hear it. The mower is 7 years old with no issues, same with the snow blower. Try taking a bottle of conventional oil and putting it in the freezer, then pouring it out. It acts about the same as syrup. Synthetic oil does not turn into syrup. The snow starts easier during the winter and I have used Mobile 1 in it for 10 years. I also have a 4 stroke weed eater that I have been using Mobile 1 in for 10 plus years with no issues.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is very reassuring.

Valvoline says Synpower meets the dexos1 specs in 5w20 and 5w30 (like your Cruze takes).
"Type of oil needed depends upon the make and model of your vehicle and the manufacturer’s recommendation. Valvoline Instant Oil Change service centers always consult manufacturer recommendations when providing you with choices and recommendations for the type of oil to be used in your car."

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
"Type of oil needed depends upon the make and model of your vehicle and the manufacturer’s recommendation. Valvoline Instant Oil Change service centers always consult manufacturer recommendations when providing you with choices and recommendations for the type of oil to be used in your car."
Just make sure you tell the quick lubes which oil to use and then watch them.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Looking at Walmart prices, full synthetic 2 dexos motor oil runs about 20 bucks for a five quart bottle, or abut four bucks a quart, but if you purchase the same exact oil by the quart, runs around $6.50.

Conventional namebrand oils run around 14-15 bucks in the five quart bottle or about $2.80 a quart where a quart can run in the $3.50-$4.00 range. So if you buy full synthetic in a five quart bottle, just about the same price in buying conventional oil by the quart.

Ha, get bored enough in a dental or medical waiting room that I have to sit in a dealers waiting room as well, plus all the GM dealers around here want an extra 40 bucks for dexos, if they are even using dexos. Even with 20% oil remaining, seem to hit that 8,000-9,500 mile mark, so in this case dexos is even cheaper than conventional, typically 5,000 miles is the limit, quite black by then.

Regarding which oil is best, they all say they are, but go by the API rating and now, API-SN is the best that has to meet strict SAE ratings. Been sticking with OEM filters.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Valvoline Synpower 5w30, AC Delco or Wix filter, at 5,000 mi. intervals. 73,000 miles now, zero oil consumption or leaks and nary a thing done to the engine except preventative maintenance. While a good synthetic blend is adequate, full synthetic will best insure the longevity of the engine. Conventional is a no-no in our turbo engines.

Here's some elaboration on my two cents' worth on fluid maintenance for the 1.4T: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/166186-some-thoughts-1-4t-oil.html

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I'll just leave it to the professionals. I do hope the quick lubes know to use dexos1 when it's required.
Now there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one! Anywho, I've been using QS Ultimate since day one with changes between 6,000 and 7,500 miles.
As far as my RAV4 is concerned, the dealer won't even change the oil before 10,000 miles. On another note, Mobil One Extended Performance oil is guaranteed for 15,000 miles. My......how times have changed!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts