Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what motor oils you guys are liking.

I know there are about a million choices these days, but during my brief perusal of the oil aisle, I am not seeing the special rating Chevy has for this oil.

Any insights?

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
You did read the countless other Motor Oil threads here right? They contain so much valuable info. Always use GM approved fluids in your Cruze

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
There's little question that Amsoil Signature Series is the best oil you can buy on the retail market.

But it's likely overkill for average users.

I used Mobil 1 for two decades. I've gone to Total for dexos2 applications.

But pretty much any dexos1 registered oil will do you just fine if you respect the oil change monitor.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Registered
635 Posts
My daily is my 200k mile ford ranger, so the Cruze get very little mileage. that being said the Cruze sees about 2k mikes a year, I wait for one of those $24.99 mobile oil sales to go, I pay extra for full synthetic, because of the time in between changes, and I use a little lucas oil stabilizer.

I try to only use mobile. Or Castro full synthetics in my Cruze and my wife's 2017 Mazda (the truck gets high mileage conventional from the cheapest brand at the time)

overkill but I've owned all old cars my life so this is now my routine and I trust I lol, but I've never tried amsoil and had never heard a single thing bad about it so I wanna give them a go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
That word, "dexos" is all you have to know. Chevy dealers in town wanted 40 bucks more to use it, heck with that, will change it myself.

Which one is the best? They all say they are the best. Also have to keep good records.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
My daily is my 200k mile ford ranger, so the Cruze get very little mileage. that being said the Cruze sees about 2k mikes a year, I wait for one of those $24.99 mobile oil sales to go, I pay extra for full synthetic, because of the time in between changes, and I use a little lucas oil stabilizer.

I try to only use mobile. Or Castro full synthetics in my Cruze and my wife's 2017 Mazda (the truck gets high mileage conventional from the cheapest brand at the time)

overkill but I've owned all old cars my life so this is now my routine and I trust I lol, but I've never tried amsoil and had never heard a single thing bad about it so I wanna give them a go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have done the math, it costs no extra to use Amsoil, I run the SS in my Cruze and will be sending an oil sample this time to verify 15K intervals is good. Whatever you do, leave out the Lucas. Do I like it in my old '95 GMC with a 350 that leaks some oil? Sure do, but not in my Cruze/.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have done the math, it costs no extra to use Amsoil, I run the SS in my Cruze and will be sending an oil sample this time to verify 15K intervals is good. Whatever you do, leave out the Lucas. Do I like it in my old '95 GMC with a 350 that leaks some oil? Sure do, but not in my Cruze/.
I usually put a out a third quart of the lucas, maybe I won't try amsoil in my 2000 mile/year cruze lol

Why leave the Lucas (not to argue I just wnt to learn something today lol)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
The lucas is great in semi's or a high mileage leaky 350, it is not good for a new engine and tighter tolerances. It froths up when it gets hot and that is not good.

There is just no reason to use it at all. Amsoil has synthetic that is made to just follow the OLM. Like stated above Dexos1 is what is important.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
For GM vehicles a dexos1 or dexos2 oil will serve well.

As for additives, not needed. Todays oils have come a long way. Spend the extra money from buying additives to a good quality synthetic.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
We've had a few discussions here on oils. If you go to the Facebook side of things, you'll have hundreds of people using AMSOIL.

I personally use AMSOIL Signature Series. I'm tuned by BNR, and I town my boat with my Cruze (~900 pounds), which means extended levels of high boost. I'm no longer light with the throttle on acceleration either. Even with a boat, I'm ahead of traffic after a red light.

That said, I run 15,000 mile drain intervals, changing my Wix filter at 7,500 miles. Over a dozen oil analysis reports from members both tuned and stock have shown this to be a solid, safe change interval on this oil. Because the oil provides much better protection against deposit formation being a Group 5 oil, even at 15,000 miles, it is a better product to prevent against turbo seal and piston ring deposits through an exceptional oxidation stability. The extended drain intervals save you time, and negate the additional cost over lesser "synthetic" labeled products.

Currently, I have 9,500 miles on my change of oil. I've towed my boat to the lake half an hour away and back at least a dozen times, and have seen no oil consumption. My oil level has not dropped from the "full" mark since I put it in there over a year ago.

As Tomko noted, there's little question that this is the best oil you can get your hands on. Send me a PM and I can get you a quote on some delivered to your house; the cost is really quite reasonable. If you're looking for something local though, grab some Pennzoil Platinum; its one of the best cheap group 3 synthetic oils on the market.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The lucas is great in semi's or a high mileage leaky 350, it is not good for a new engine and tighter tolerances. It froths up when it gets hot and that is not good.

There is just no reason to use it at all. Amsoil has synthetic that is made to just follow the OLM. Like stated above Dexos1 is what is important.
Hmm alright, I won't be wasting money on that anymore

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,349 Posts
I've used Pennzoil Platinum in both versions of the 1.4. Here's a UOA from the old one at close to 7500. Primarily city/stop and go driving. I think I took the next change close to a full year and like 10k.

Despite the interval, any oil should be changed at a maximum of one year.

I plan to have a UOA done on the 2016 once I've got more mileage on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For what its worth, I use Mobil 1 EP 15k mile oil and the last time I changed the oil in my car was in November 2010. I use the car daily and average 28-30 mpg.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I use Mobil one synthetic the better one of the Mobil 1 series (not high mileage). I have been a Mobil person for about 20 yrs+ & never had an issue. I also use Mobil gas super all the time, I do once in a while use shell & Sunoco gas too SUPER only. IMO amsoil oil is not worth it for normal driving. If it was that good why is it not in super cars? how about the vette? all use Mobil 1. Yes Mobil is not the best, but far from the worst. I get a gallon thingy from wally world every 5K miles & use only GM oil filters < very important GM filters. Unless you are tracking this car I see no reason for over priced oils. I read on this site someone needed warranty work & used amsoil oil & the claim got denied. would this happen w/ mobil oil? I say yes because IMO the stealerships try anything to get you to open your wallet & spend money.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
There's little question that Amsoil Signature Series is the best oil you can buy on the retail market.

But it's likely overkill for average users.

I used Mobil 1 for two decades. I've gone to Total for dexos2 applications.

But pretty much any dexos1 registered oil will do you just fine if you respect the oil change monitor.
AMSOil Signature Series isn't dexos certified. It does exceed all the dexos requirements - AMSOil simply didn't want to spend the money to get it certified.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts