Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my car in the shop for the last two weeks for overheating. Replaced thermostat, water pump and a couple other things that needed replaced. Drove to see my boyfriend in PA and the car overheated again. Took it back to the mechanic after losing all my antifreeze and oil. Every computer hooked up to it has no problems coming up with it, passes all pressure tests. My mechanic called a dealership and they informed him they had a Cruze in doing the same thing as mine and they are replacing the head gasket in that one. So now I?m too the point of looking at another motor. I?ve seen a lot of recalls with the 2012 models so I was wondering if I swapped the motor would I be able to put a newer model motor in to replace the one I have now?

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,172 Posts
So I have had my car in the shop for the last two weeks for overheating. Replaced thermostat, water pump and a couple other things that needed replaced. Drove to see my boyfriend in PA and the car overheated again. Took it back to the mechanic after losing all my antifreeze and oil. Every computer hooked up to it has no problems coming up with it, passes all pressure tests. My mechanic called a dealership and they informed him they had a Cruze in doing the same thing as mine and they are replacing the head gasket in that one. So now I?m too the point of looking at another motor. I?ve seen a lot of recalls with the 2012 models so I was wondering if I swapped the motor would I be able to put a newer model motor in to replace the one I have now?

If you keep all of the same electronics, i.e. TCM, BCM etc, I would think you should be able to. I would ask some of the techs on the board to look into it further though.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Yes.

The MAP sensor & cam phasers are different after the 2012 model year. They weren't really issues, but that is the difference between a "LUJ" and a "LUV"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.