Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure what is going on here. But, here are the circumstances:
We are in Gatlinburg, TN (elevation 1,289ft) on our honeymoon. Last night was our last night here, and we decided to take HWY 441 to the top of the mountain to watch the sunset at Newfound Gap (elevation 5,048ft).

So over the course of about half an hour and 20 miles we went up in elevation by 3,759ft. It wasn't to hard of a trip, and it was the second time we made it this week. I know it is more strenuous on the car to go up a mountain (especially when comparing it to the highways I normally drive). But I doubt it is normal for the engine bay to smell like burning marshmallows after a strenuous run?
(also I looked around, I didn't see any debris or leaks, the smell seemed to be coming from the intercooler/radiator/turbo area)

No check engine light.
Temp gauge never went above normal.
Car ran fine on the trip down.
Does anyone know what would cause the car to smell like burnt marshmallows?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone4S app

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The only thing I can think of is that it must be something curing since the turbo would've been getting really hot at that point. Does anybody have any insight on this?

I am kind of worried right now.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone4S app

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Could be a number of things. Is the car still under warranty? The only thing I can think of off the bat would be burning fluid or a burning clutch. Clutch is a possibility. I drove mine to Reno this past weekend. I live 7 feet above sea level and went up to 7,600 and back down. Although my car only had 500 miles on it at the start of the trip, it smelled new burning off. but if you havent run the car that hard before, it always seems like the first time you do, it still smells funny. Catalytic converter gets really hot from the turbo. Unless you have something leaking, I doubt its serious. But get it checked out if you think it may be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmmm... Newlyweds, honeymoon...
I've heard of smearing limburger on the getaway vehicle's exhaust manifold but never marshmallows.:lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts