Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year again, had to drag the mowers out of the shed this afternoon. I really should start my mowers every now and then in the winter. Ha ha

One had a bad spark plug, didn't find that out until I pull started it for 10 minutes straight. No need to go to the gym now! :D Yard turned out to be pretty deep, surprised the heck out of me when I scraped the decks.

That reminds me, the bugs are terrible this year. They are everywhere. Heck, the other night I took a 6-mile bike ride and got stung by a mosquito. Bastards.

Anyone else mow yet?

·
Administrator
25,028 Posts
Too **** early!

I had to shovel about 4 inches of snow today.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Getting ready to mow. Once we have a few more warm days and a few more days of rain I will have to mow. I got the mower all tuned up and ready to go. Replaced the blade this year.

I think I need to start the mower a few times during the winter too. I follow the manual and run the mower till it runs out of gas at the end of season but then after winter is over I always have to pour gasoline down the spark plug hole to get it going. I don't know maybe I am tipping it over too much when I empty the oil. This is the first mower I have that I have to tip over to empty the oil because it has no drain plug for the oil. I have a feeling I am tipping it over too much and oil is getting where it isn't suppose to go.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,263 Posts
Ya know there are Electric Mowers Now ..Shoot I am waiting for a couple of 70 degree days ..calendar and the weather projections put that some time in May .

·
Administrator
25,028 Posts
Ya know there are Electric Mowers Now ..Shoot I am waiting for a couple of 70 degree days ..calendar and the weather projections put that some time in May .
I've been using a Black & Decker battery powered mower for over two decades. Love the quiet operation and lack of maintenance requirements other than an occasional blade sharpening.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Landscape service for 15 years.....House is postcard perfect every Thursday.....bushes trimmed, debris picked up.
No blades to sharpen, gas to go stale, starter cords to replace, oil to change, minumum sweat.

The only monthly check I enjoy writing.

That was my 50th birthday present to myself.

Rob

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha ha. That'd be nice. I should look into that and compare costs, were constantly fixing that stupid old Homelite.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been using a Black & Decker battery powered mower for over two decades. Love the quiet operation and lack of maintenance requirements other than an occasional blade sharpening.

How large is your yard?

·
Administrator
25,028 Posts
How large is your yard?
It's a postage stamp, which is good because I'm still on the original battery after nearly 20 years. I got it in 96 or 97 when my gas powered mower died. There are some really nice electric mowers that actually fold up and stand on end in your garage now. Since there's no fluids you don't have to worry about leaks. Plug them in to charge and then go for it. They will handle a standard sized yard with no problems and have the equivalent power to a 4.5 to 5.5 HP gas mower. They are more expensive up front but the lack of maintenance and lower operating costs easily pay for itself at least two or three times over the life of the mower.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It's a postage stamp, which is good because I'm still on the original battery after nearly 20 years. I got it in 96 or 97 when my gas powered mower died. There are some really nice electric mowers that actually fold up and stand on end in your garage now. Since there's no fluids you don't have to worry about leaks. Plug them in to charge and then go for it. They will handle a standard sized yard with no problems and have the equivalent power to a 4.5 to 5.5 HP gas mower. They are more expensive up front but the lack of maintenance and lower operating costs easily pay for itself at least two or three times over the life of the mower.
Yeah I think my next mower will be an electric one. The lack of maintenance is worth the extra cost.
I just always been waiting for the battery technology to get better and it has come a long way.
Our yard isn't too big and I think an electric can handle it and the neighbor's yard I cut.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Electric would be nice but they don't have the umph to cut coastal Bermuda and St. Augustine. So I use a Honda push mower for my quarter acre estate. I do use an electric string trimmer. Everything is within the range of a hundred foot extension cord.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Can't best a Honda, after a long winter, have to pull the cord twice, rest of the summer, just about a half a pull. Really a miser on gas, so is my snowthrower, but hope I used that for the last time just a couple of day ago.

Now for electrics, using a 500' extension cord or battery operated, if the latter, how long do they last, and do they cost more than a new mower with a new battery. Going nuts with all my battery operated equipment, well maybe not nuts, just broke.

Would have a blast with corded type, would spend a half a day, untangling that cord from all the trees.

I used to charge a buck when I was a kid, (yesterday) to mow and rake a yard, are they still charging a buck today? If so, will look into it. And the mower I used did not need a line cord, a battery, nor gas, reel was geared to the wheels. Understand they still make these.

Trying to give away my 46 year old Lawn Boy, still runs, don't have to change the oil on that thing, but do have to clean the spark plug every five minutes. Two cycle.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Oh, if like like cutting grass, but six wooded acres and make it look like a well groomed state park, also plan on trimming a lot of trees.

Ha, 15 years was enough for me and once in a lifetime, now just have a half an acre. But could turn up my HiFi as loud as I wanted to without bothering anybody. Could also do target practice in my back yard, had a nice hill I could pepper with bullets. Kind of restricted living in the city.

·
Administrator
25,028 Posts
Electric would be nice but they don't have the umph to cut coastal Bermuda and St. Augustine. So I use a Honda push mower for my quarter acre estate. I do use an electric string trimmer. Everything is within the range of a hundred foot extension cord.
What's the HP rating on your gas mower? The good electrics are rated 4.5 HP and higher.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Honda 190 CC engine is rated at 6.5 HP. Can really push this thing into some tall growth without stalling the engine.

Engine uses 14 onces of oil, have 16 ounces left over when doing an oil change on my Cruze. Just save something like a 32 ounce plastic food jar. Remove the dipstick, put that over the dipstick tube upsidedown, tip it over to it side, set the jar on the ground, and let it drain, no drain plug on this thing. Than add 14 ounces of Mobile One to it, and done. Can pour that into the 5 quart bottle from the Cruze, next time I go to the store, drop it off.

Other Honda mower is over ten years old, have yet needed to clean or replace the spark plug. New one is self propelled, old isn't.

Only use 91 octane ethanol free gas in it. Between my mower and snowthrower, use a bit over 2 gallons per year. Only buy this in the summer time, hate that winter gas.

·
Registered
402 Posts
What's the HP rating on your gas mower? The good electrics are rated 4.5 HP and higher.
It looks like I have the same mower as Nick, 6.5 hp. But h.p. isn't everything, I'm going by other peoples local experience. We don't have any of that nice Kentucky Bluegrass. We have centipede or St. Augustine if the lot was sodded, otherwise it was seeded with Contractor mix which is a mix of bermuda, fescue, a lot of annual rye and some times bahaia and clover.

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Did mine for the first time in Cincinnati yesterday also. Mower was probably surprised about the gas I used. I filled my car with premium and since I was at it, bought a gallon for the mower. Maybe that is why it stalled a couple of times also in the tall grass. All I know is that it kicked in my wife's allergies. I am taking the blame for that at least this one time then allergies should be finished. I hope.

·
10,685 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts