Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First was great, now getting picky with constant volume adjustment. Sources for MP3 varies, just a couple from youtube, mostly from my CD and LP collection, although the latter is a PITA to make an MP3 using Nero, then from Rhapsody. Volume levels are all over the place.

Doing a net search for normalizers, but in the experimental stage, sure some of you are well experienced on this subject.

Any recommendations for a good MP3 normalizer program? Even a free one?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try Mp3 Gain. That's what I use on MP3s before I sync them to my iPod. Usage is very simple and straight forward

Btw, its freeware. :)
Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Thanks, it works, didn't know I was getting an 18db range on my MP3's. But noted on the quite ones, the recording is not as good, probably why they reduced the volume on it.

Also has me wondering what MP3Gain is doing, certainly not changing all the bytes, just tried it on 200 songs, modified them very quickly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder is the best I've found.

The problem with a lot of programs is they "normalize". That's not what you want.
When a program "normalizes" a song, what it does is levels out ALL of the frequencies. It causes the music to sound like elevator music.

You want a program that increases the audible gain, equally. Audacity has that. The option is called "amplify". It automatically increases the highest output level to -3dB gain. Once it does that, it adjusts every frequency equally.

E.G., there's a crash cymbal in a song that is the loudest of all the instruments, but the MP3 file only has it recorded at -8dB. Audacity will increase the signal by 5dB to bring it up to -3dB. It will equally increase every other instrument/sound/frequency by 5dB. That way the song still has the intensity of some instruments like the original recording, and other instruments remain subtle.

"Normalizing" increases every frequency to -3dB. It causes the song to end up sounding like an AM radio talk show on a portable transistor radio made in the 40's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts