Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I absolutly love my choice to ditch my Jeep Commander hemi
I used to get 13.5 Mpg and I drive 18,000 miles a yr. price of gas on avg here in North NJ has been about $3.60 as a yr avg including b4 the spike.

That comes to $4800 a yr I spent in fuel with my Jeep.

Compare to the Cruze I still do 18,000 miles a yr, gas price I'll use the same avg price. I get 32mpgs in my LTZ

That comes to $2025 a yr in the Cruze

I save $2775 a yr in Fuel costs

Thats almost like getting a $3600yr pay increase b4 taxes :D

Insurance costs for me remained the same, Cruze costs me $2 more a month to insure.

·
Registered
208 Posts
And with compounding interest over 30 years in a high yield retirememt account is about what $$15,000-$$25,000

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was talking about the one time payment of 2775 but yeah if you took that savings everyear and added then yea it would be that much more, I was referring to the one time one year savings

·
Registered
208 Posts
ah ha Eureka!!

See folks if you think about the future, all your dreams can come true...

Music begins to play>....Somewhere over the Rainbow....

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...but, you also have to "...pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!..."

·
Registered
516 Posts
Another interesting thing to note is that dollar savings is not linear all the way up.

The higher it gets, diminishing returns. For example, at $4.25 a gallon (we had this not long ago here), I save about $1 a day on my commute going from 35 MPG to 39 MPG (difference of 4 MPG). However, going from 31 MPG to 35 MPG (also 4 MPG) saves $2.80 a day! Something to think about if you are deciding to pay extra for a car for a few extra MPG's when you current car is already high mileage.
However, if your previous car gets low 20's highway mileage and you buy any Cruze, your bank account is really going to see a difference.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah I'm seeing it already I went from 17.4 in my Lincoln on my current go to and from work route, all the way up to 31.4 so 14mpg increase over what I was driving, almost a full doubling, I just go to work and back so now I fill up only half as much. It's awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Between my commutes to two jobs and other ancillary driving I do ~1000 miles a week. Lets so 800 to be safe.

My average in my 98 Grand Cherokee that had a built motor (400+HP) was 12.5mpg. Lets be nice and say 15 MPG if I drove it awesome.

(~800 miles / week) / (15 MPG) = 53.3 gallons of gas a week @ $4 a gallon (I had to run premium) = $320 a week, $320 * 52 week = $11093 a year in gas.

Cruze is averaging 42.5mpg on the dash and 43ish by fuelly. Lets say 40MPG to be nice.

(~800 miles / week) / (40 MPG) = 20 gallons @ $4 a gallon ( I put premium in my ECO ) = $100 a week, $100 * 52 week = $4160 a year in gas

My savings = $11093 - $4160 = $6933 in savings per year over last.

I have had the car for a month and I can say I have noticed the extra money in my bank account already!!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Between my commutes to two jobs and other ancillary driving I do ~1000 miles a week. Lets so 800 to be safe.

My average in my 98 Grand Cherokee that had a built motor (400+HP) was 12.5mpg. Lets be nice and say 15 MPG if I drove it awesome.

(~800 miles / week) / (15 MPG) = 53.3 gallons of gas a week @ $4 a gallon (I had to run premium) = $320 a week, $320 * 52 week = $11093 a year in gas.

Cruze is averaging 42.5mpg on the dash and 43ish by fuelly. Lets say 40MPG to be nice.

(~800 miles / week) / (40 MPG) = 20 gallons @ $4 a gallon ( I put premium in my ECO ) = $100 a week, $100 * 52 week = $4160 a year in gas

My savings = $11093 - $4160 = $6933 in savings per year over last.

I have had the car for a month and I can say I have noticed the extra money in my bank account already!!!
TO calculate true savings you need to include monthly car and insurance payment differences.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
TO calculate true savings you need to include monthly car and insurance payment differences.
Jeep was paid off...

Insurance was $5 cheaper some how for 6 months.. negligible

So my payment is $300. So $3600 a year.

So from a 1998 Grand Cherokee to the new ECO Cruze and still saving ($6933-$3600) = $3333

However the jeep needed an entire new rear axle, housing and all. Rust was spreading, new rear main seal was needed, new wheel bearings.

I was spending $300 a month in maintenance on it (averaged over the year).

So I will stick with the ~$7000 in savings and assume the rest comes out in the wash of assumptions.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Funny, I upgraded from a 96 cheerokee with the L6. I was only getting 14mpg. Mainly because the exhaust was rotted out and fuel was running to rich. Needed a new exhaust manifold, entire exhaust, rear shock bolt, struts to start. Long term needed new rims, dash, and door hardware.

I bought this when gas hit 3.80 as that was my breakeven point. :)

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Funny, I upgraded from a 96 cheerokee with the L6. I was only getting 14mpg. Mainly because the exhaust was rotted out and fuel was running to rich. Needed a new exhaust manifold, entire exhaust, rear shock bolt, struts to start. Long term needed new rims, dash, and door hardware.

I bought this when gas hit 3.80 as that was my breakeven point. :)
I paid $4.54 /gal when it got high... I drove that tank till I had ~50miles till empty... Drove to the dealer and traded the Jeep in... it was my baby...

Her life story... Read that and see I have way too many cars and used to be proud of burning gas.. not anymore when I went broke from it!

My 2nd 5.9... - theSPEEDFREAKS.net

1 - 14 of 14 Posts