Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
? Mileage on Diesel Cruzehas been dropping.

Help suggestions:

2014 Cruze Diesel 19,000miles

My driving is 70/30 hwy./ town
I was hitting 43-46 mpg consistentlyon hwy runs 40-50 miles and now most of the time 37 to 40 on long road trips,same roads.
I live in dry dusty west Texas, I have ordered another air filter, comes in today.
I have used several fuel additives(lucus, seafoam)
I monitor the tire pressure;P.S. the electronic reading in the dash can be off a lot, use the tire gage!
Oil has been changed at Chevydealer 3 times
I have had hard shiftingwith 6 speed trans. From the start 400 miles, took to Chevy maint. team andthey say no problems.
Very hard shifting in 2ndgear when a little cold. Fine afterwarms up 5 miles or so

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Not enough information.

When were you getting your 43-46? Was it cooler out? What was your average speed?

Now you are getting 37-40. For how long? Like last 2 months? What are you setting your CC at?

I get 37-40 on an average tank, but mostly because I accelerate like a jack rabbit and set my CC at 75. :)

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Check your tires/air pressure......Your could be dropping because of fuel additives, there was a post on here not to long ago for fuel additives for the diesel model. Basically said do not put anything in the gas tank especially sea foam, those additives are not meant for our type of diesel engine. Oil quality could be a factor, wheel alignment, balancing, etc etc......keep your car clean and waxed, try doing your own mpg with fuelly, I found out a while ago the mpg on cars is never accurate really.

·
10,711 Posts
Are you filling from same stations or wherever you see a sale on diesel? I know for gas side all 93 is not equal especially if the station for example does not move the product fast enough it is getting old. Some stations 93 is like 20¢ more and I would trust that over 87 is $3.39 and 93 is $3.89.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
+1 for Merc6, I buy my diesel from one station, I use BP and get great mpg. I tried exxon for a month and all I got was crap.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
I suspect the fuel additives have caused a problem with either your fuel injectors or the emissions equipment.

Seafoam has its place, but in my opinion it is no where near this engine.

Same goes for Lucas.

As I recall, these fuel injectors make something like eight spritzes for every stroke of the piston. This ain't no weber carburetor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Plot your fuel consumption alongside the ambient temperature. We live in Dallas, and I can tell you that it has been quite a bit warmer in the months of June, July and August than it was in April/May.

As the temp rises, air density decreases and makes the engine work a little harder.

There could be another mechanical cause, possibly related to the emissions equipment, but I would start with the above.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you run into gas stations selling biodiesel (5% to 20%)? I just realized I seem to get 10 to 15% less MPG with biodiesel (10%) sold here in Minnesota (state requirement) so I fill up across the border in Wisconsin just 10 miles away. Only have 3,500 miles on my 2014 CTD so I'm still learning how it responds to winter and summer blends of diesel and biodiesel and all the other variables affecting MPG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another idea to ponder. If you had your oil changed recently check and verify that who ever changed the oil use 5w-30 Dexos2 oil. I recently discovered that the the local dealer here in NC put in 15w-40 instead of the required 5w-30 Dexos2 per the owner's manual. This was the 2nd oil change. After the first oil change I was averaging 38-40 mpg and roughly 630 mile/tank. Since the correct oil was put in I have noticed an increase in 40 miles/tank (up to 670 mile/tank). I currently talking to GM to find out what long term affects the 15W-40 will have on the engine but haven't gotten a reply yet...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.