Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been almost 2 weeks with her now.. already found the oil leak at the Valve cover.. Gaskets for intake and VC ordered. Cruzekit V2.1 ordered though going to custom the install a bit. BNR spacer plate ordered, MSD Coils Ordered, Quite possibly making my own Coil cover for the VC, also looking at a modified air intake system as I dont like K and N's suck it all from the engine bay set up, and I dont do Injen cold air type not looking to Hoover any puddles into my cylinders. already have some appearance ideas for badges and interior as well .

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,737 Posts
Cool.

I've had Injen intakes on 2 cars. I put hydroshields on them, (basically a water resistant sock). I've never had issues with water when it rains or floods for that matter.

Reactions: guuyuk and Blasirl

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool.

I've had Injen intakes on 2 cars. I put hydroshields on them, (basically a water resistant sock). I've never had issues with water when it rains or floods for that matter.
I still have to get my measurements so I can draw out my design for this car but I had a design I used for the conquest as cold air was non existant for that car. Basically boxing in a k and n over the port where the old air box drew its air with a gate bypass actuated at a pressure I dont remember off the top of my head for the situation the are below there has a large volume of water in it, it would switch to allow engine bay air

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts
I still have to get my measurements so I can draw out my design for this car but I had a design I used for the conquest as cold air was non existant for that car. Basically boxing in a k and n over the port where the old air box drew its air with a gate bypass actuated at a pressure I dont remember off the top of my head for the situation the are below there has a large volume of water in it, it would switch to allow engine bay air
You do realize that the stock intakes on the Cruze are a cold air intake design? The only thing you actually gain from an aftermarket intake is noise.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,486 Posts
You do realize that the stock intakes on the Cruze are a cold air intake design? The only thing you actually gain from an aftermarket intake is noise.
Well if you have the baffle/resonator and what not removed from stock, the “stock stock” is restrictive and decreases throttle response.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its is cold air like.. but the tubing from the port through the fender is restrictive or looks it to me anyway.. I know I may be jumping the gun with my design thoughts, again i've only had the car for a couple of weeks but I've had my other project for 20 years Fairly certain I can improve on the intake a bit.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if you have the baffle/resonator and what not removed from stock, the “stock stock” is restrictive and decreases throttle response.

Fairly certain mines still Stock stock so removing the ducting after work tomorrow I think. now given my mind is thinking larger I guess this is probably the smallest displacement motor on 4 wheels i have ever had.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,486 Posts
Fairly certain mines still Stock stock so removing the ducting after work tomorrow I think. now given my mind is thinking larger I guess this is probably the smallest displacement motor on 4 wheels i have ever had.
It makes a good bit of difference in throttle response and a bit more noise.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It makes a good bit of difference in throttle response and a bit more noise.
as much as I love the sound of Turbos effectiveness and actual performance matter more to me . Looking through the removal thread I can already see all the restrictions their system has. Improved throttle response would definitely be welcome as I noticed the hesitation early on with this car.

Reactions: Thebigzeus

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So since you guys both seem to hold an bit of knowledge I'll toss a couple more out there.

I did some reading about the Malibu turbo being a direct bolt on true false ? How mad would the cars stock system be at this being put on ?

Wastegate actuators stock vs aftermarket experience ..

I will be heading to a salvage yard i used to hit for pick your own parts dunno if they will have anything but gonna go look around. coworker who has an RS which is who pointed me at cruzes needs some mechanical help.. probably going to do a VC gasket for him but also noticed probably going to need to replace coolant line to turbo and his wastegate arm looks like its about done. He's a fellow test tech but not quite as handy under the hood.

Zeus I'm gonna hit you with a PM about a topic lol

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well got some of the parts .... MSD Coil Pack, Cruzekit to fix the PCV, Valve and intake gaskets, NO BNR spacer........, maybe next weekend..

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,685 Posts
its is cold air like.. but the tubing from the port through the fender is restrictive or looks it to me anyway.. I know I may be jumping the gun with my design thoughts, again i've only had the car for a couple of weeks but I've had my other project for 20 years Fairly certain I can improve on the intake a bit.
It really isn't. With how economy-focused everything is these days, there's every reason to make the intake tract as efficient as possible, aside from making them quiet by the addition of resonators, but those don't cause any kind of major impact to flow. So, anymore, cold air/short-ram intakes really only exist to add noise. That said, a short-ram intake should, in theory, increase fuel economy slightly, at the expense of power...though, without a tune, it won't matter much anyway.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got the BNR plate.. little disappointed with the turn around for something they had "In stock" When they did finally ship it it got here quick though.
LOL for some reason I expected something a tad bigger guess I didn't realize how small the air intake system on this thing was part of me honestly expected that the inlet to the intake had a better diameter than that as the piping diameter seems at least an inch bigger. now in all fairness I haven't torn anything apart yet ..

Plugs and MSD, VC and intake Gasket, and Cruze Kit all here Weather Techs on the windows over the weekend Still researching around on some odds and ends. Just waiting on my oil catch can to show up and should have everything i need for the moment. It will give me a chance to look over turbo oil and coolant hoses real quick as well and maybe just go ahead and redo while I'm at it.

Might go ahead and run some TC's and get a better idea on the Turbo air output and piping temps and possibly do some data acquisition on the air flow as well mainly for my own curiosity,

Reactions: Thebigzeus

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts
Finally got the BNR plate.. little disappointed with the turn around for something they had "In stock" When they did finally ship it it got here quick though.
LOL for some reason I expected something a tad bigger guess I didn't realize how small the air intake system on this thing was part of me honestly expected that the inlet to the intake had a better diameter than that as the piping diameter seems at least an inch bigger.
Remember, this is a very small engine. The cylinder bore is only 72.5mm (2.854 in) in diameter.

Reactions: Mr_Pat

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the MSD and plugs are in mainly because I had a couple minutes to kill before i lleft work and wanted to get some measurements for TC Wire lengths.. and trying to decide how many different points I wan to check running temps. figure my hour drive home should give me a good mix of city, traffic nd highway as well as country road data. And I still need to work out a point to introduce this maf I'm going to use for the Air volume measurements.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Dyno gains on any mod on these cars without an ecu tune merely "shift" the powerband as the ecu limits torque to the same commanded value (although peak horse power gains can be shown). A tune is necessary to raise the commanded toque values and thus overall engine "power".

Tune is night and day difference... and best mod for the $$$.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tune is in the plans just a matter of making the decision of who i'm going with. I'm still researching information on the tuners that do it currently. Lot of info to go over

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have BNR, haven't had a problem with anything. Sometimes you have to be patient on getting a reply back for an edit, but like I said I havent had a problem. Car runs great and is much quicker. Roughly 21 psi.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok well, we now have almost everything I want to do for the car aside from a few pieces for the intake I'm fabbing.
FMIC and piping, New headlight assemblies, Forge Wastegate Actuator, Tune almost decided on, 2 Gauge pod as well as a single, Bought the single and then found one of the dual gauge a pillar ones 10 minutes from me with an injen CAI as part of the package. The Dual one came with a pair of ProSport gauges in it already . Boost and Wideband. Probably going to sell the wide band .. still trying to decide if i want to spend the money and get the down and mid pipe as I dont want to make the car loud. I've been enjoying having a quiet car .

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts
Ok well, we now have almost everything I want to do for the car aside from a few pieces for the intake I'm fabbing.
FMIC and piping, New headlight assemblies, Forge Wastegate Actuator, Tune almost decided on, 2 Gauge pod as well as a single, Bought the single and then found one of the dual gauge a pillar ones 10 minutes from me with an injen CAI as part of the package. The Dual one came with a pair of ProSport gauges in it already . Boost and Wideband. Probably going to sell the wide band .. still trying to decide if i want to spend the money and get the down and mid pipe as I dont want to make the car loud. I've been enjoying having a quiet car .
I'm jealous, @Mr_Pat ;)

I don't even have almost everything I want to do to the car....

1 - 20 of 269 Posts