Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should not be new news to PC folks, and it's been going on for about a month now. I thought others would like to know about it if they haven't been following Windows too closely. As part of the normal "patch" updates being sent out to W7, W8, & W8.1 systems, MS has been including some updates to prepare these systems for "updating to a future version". Most of the update descriptions are pretty vague, but last week KB3022345 came out and it is described as an update that "enables the Diagnostics Tracking Service in Windows". This is the fifth of a series of related updates for each current version of Windows and it seems to be the most "invasive". Now I have absolutely NO interest in upgrading to W10 since the payment/cost of this new system hasn't been announced, so I don't need to have my system "ready" for it. If I decide to update to W10, then I'll get my system ready for it, not before. I have hidden all of the related updates for this process until some future date if I need them. Here's a link to a W7 forum site that discusses this preparation program. I may be paranoid, but it's my choice.

Microsoft silently preparing your PC for Win 10 - Windows 7 Help Forums

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
I like your style Jim . You have made the choice in the matter whether you want windows 10 or not and have not let the geekie goofs take control of what is allowed to be introduced into your property .

·
Registered
381 Posts
That service can be turned off if you want. However if you have Windows 7 or above Windows 10 will be free for 1 year to download. There will be no cost. I get the previews that are little more ready than the consumer one anyone can download because I work for a service provider and a Microsoft partner. if you like 8 or 7 you will like 10. Its what 8 should have been.

10 actually runs faster than 8.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard the rumor of 1 year free upgrade from W7, W8 & W8.1. What is the subscription cost after the free year? I haven't seen any pricing for W10 yet, have you? Yes, you can turn updates off, but then you lose the ones that can help. Better to know before taking the leap.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This should not be new news to PC folks, and it's been going on for about a month now. I thought others would like to know about it if they haven't been following Windows too closely. As part of the normal "patch" updates being sent out to W7, W8, & W8.1 systems, MS has been including some updates to prepare these systems for "updating to a future version". Most of the update descriptions are pretty vague, but last week KB3022345 came out and it is described as an update that "enables the Diagnostics Tracking Service in Windows". This is the fifth of a series of related updates for each current version of Windows and it seems to be the most "invasive". Now I have absolutely NO interest in upgrading to W10 since the payment/cost of this new system hasn't been announced, so I don't need to have my system "ready" for it. If I decide to update to W10, then I'll get my system ready for it, not before. I have hidden all of the related updates for this process until some future date if I need them. Here's a link to a W7 forum site that discusses this preparation program. I may be paranoid, but it's my choice.

Microsoft silently preparing your PC for Win 10 - Windows 7 Help Forums
Yeah and that new tracking was messing with me on a protected site I go to regularly, took me a day to figure out why all of a sudden I was being limited and bogged down--turns out the new location tracking control-that I had turned on-was signaling me as a intruder to my site, microshaft as we affectionately call them seems to want to always change up stuff-this way than can charge all the developers and users to make it all work right !

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,536 Posts
Ugh. Stop releasing them in huge numbers without proper testing.

I have two Windows updates that keep saying they installed, and then come back again a day later. Finally ignored those.

And then I had one that kept 'unverifying' my freaking USB keyboard drivers on my work laptop (happened to our whole office, those with a certain, less common laptop model as opposed to the standard ones most have). So that was freaking annoying.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Never ceases to amaze me how some high school kid can become the world's richest man by consisting producing crap.

In my long career had to consistently bat a 1000 just to keep my job, where did I go wrong?

If Windows 10 is just an update, how can I even back it up? This new crazy box needed a 32 GB flashdrive to save the base OS. Tried an external CD and floppy and got nowhere. Well did get bored, been screwing around with MS problems for over 25 years now.

Was some talk about putting this OS in the public domain years ago, but feel that kid has enough cash to control the government.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If Windows 10 is just an update, how can I even back it up?
I would think that W10 would be backed up just like W7, et al,
1. Create a Repair Disk CD.
2. Create a System Image Backup
Both are done from the Backup & Restore page in the Control Panel. My system didn't come with Windows CDs either. When I purchased it, I installed the 250 GB primary drive from the old XP box and after migrating everything to the new drive, I formatted the old one and use it as a System Image backup drive (takes about 220 GB). I also have a pair of old 500 GB external USB drives that I use for father/son set of full system backups. HDDs are pretty cheap these days, so it's shouldn't be a big deal to backup your system. The local, independent computer shops around here have old HDDs that they can put in a USB attached case for less than a new drive. I saw a 3TB HDD at Sam's club a few months ago for $80.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Getting a new OS is like buying a video games, kids are sure into this. Spend hours searching for that magic key to open a magic door or whatever.

With Windows, keep on finding new places to hide the same of stuff. And keep on changing the names of whatever you are looking for. Ha, getting a new version of Windows is like buying a video game, but too bad they don't give you points after you spent hours looking for something.

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
Oh well I still have XP and don't plan on updating. I have an old computer and don't really have a need to buy an updated one or even update to Win 7 even though I use Win7 at work and we updated at work from XP to Win 7. The state of Ohio is in charge of that one at least at work. I can VPN in to my Win 7 machine at work using my work laptop that still has XP. Updates, updates, why! Ah its all for money.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Microsoft is not the problem if you don't get DVD's with your computer. That is the computer manufacture's decision. Also if you need to just download the operating system disk, Microsoft has a website to get the disk as long as you have a OEM Key. You can also email or call the manufacture and they will send you disk. It may or may not cost a few bucks. Microsoft gives pc manufactures a lot of freedom when it comes to how and what they install. These manufactures are just like car manufactures. What can I keep out to save a few dollars. Yes DVD's are cheap, but producing copies take time and money.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
Oh well I still have XP and don't plan on updating. I have an old computer and don't really have a need to buy an updated one or even update to Win 7 even though I use Win7 at work and we updated at work from XP to Win 7. The state of Ohio is in charge of that one at least at work. I can VPN in to my Win 7 machine at work using my work laptop that still has XP. Updates, updates, why! Ah its all for money.
The problem is you haven't had a security update in over a year.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I blocked XP updates a long long time ago, computer is working perfectly fine and a lot of these update messed it up.

Even uploaded some old programs on this Windows 8.1 platform that were running perfectly find, but didn't switch off automatic updates. When this happened, these programs quit working, did a net search on this, wasn't the only one.

I can still open Cruzetalk on my 98SE, can read posts, but cannot respond. If Firefox, Adobe Flash Player, Apple Quicktime, and Java would support it, would think it would work perfectly fine in the internet. In regards to all the other programs I have loaded in this box, they still run perfectly fine.

Still use it for scanning, have a very expensive high res scanner on it before they started making crap. Still using real brass and metal gears laser printers that are good for hundreds of thousands of prints, but need a parallel port and drivers for these to work.

Played with some of these USB to parallel port adapters with a later OS, and got nowhere. But still can copy text, photos, or drawings on a later box to a USB drive, plug it in the old box and print them out.

Ha, have to do this all the time for my wife with her newest and greatest USB only output port box. Yes, we went through a stack of printers for her, all this cheap plastic stuff the shortly ended up in the trashcan.

The only thing I am seeing is change for the sake of change and obsolesce, and we are all getting screwed blue by this. Adding so much new crap to it, running even slower than Windows 3.1 even though the processors are running at ten times the speed.

Is a bit better than DOS, had to fight ever limited memory space. For each and every program had to add monitor, keyboard, mouse, and even HD drivers. And then if you wanted to switch, had to reboot. Use to write batch files to make load up much quicker.

Neither Apple or MS came up with this, Amiga did, somehow, they were put out of business, and these two companies copied them. We do have a choice, either get screwed by Apple or MS.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I blocked XP updates a long long time ago, computer is working perfectly fine and a lot of these update messed it up.
I have one PC I setup for a guy in 2007 with XP, still works as good and is as quick as day one today. Catch being that PC NEVER gets connected to the internet.

I would not ever hook an XP machine to the internet anymore & certainly would not ever type my credit card number or any important account info into an XP machine. There is a reason to keep an updated OS, mostly to ensure you have the most up to date system security wise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts