Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rear ended in my Cruze and pushed into the car in front or me..my seatbelt seized and my airbag light came on...now my seatbelt doesn't work....is this normal in a crash

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
Depends on the nature of the impact forces. It's possible the seatbelt mechanism was damaged. After an accident like this the seatbelt mechanisms must be replaced.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,575 Posts
The seatbelt has an explosive charge that goes off in a collision to lock the seatbelt tensioner and keep you from hitting the dashboard. The seatbelt(s) need to be replaced and the SRS system reset.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
The seatbelt has an explosive charge that goes off in a collision to lock the seatbelt tensioner and keep you from hitting the dashboard. The seatbelt(s) need to be replaced and the SRS system reset.
You mean airbags have an explosive charge, seat belts work on a weighted pendulum or centrifugal clutch.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
You mean airbags have an explosive charge, seat belts work on a weighted pendulum or centrifugal clutch.
You are correct but so is jblackburn. The pre-tensioner in the seatbelt retractor is an explosive charge that activates a piston which pulls your body as close to the seat back as possible. This is done so fast you don't know it happens. New seatbelts will be required.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The Cruze had two explosive pretensioners per side. One is on the seat base, and the the other is in the b-pillar inside the belt reel. The reel with the belt is about $200 and the lower tensioner is about $100. The deployment code must be cleared from the SDM with a scan tool after a deployment to clear the light. Insurance companies just replace the SDM. They will not use used or reset safety components on insurance repairs.

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
I knew the seatbelts needed to be replaced. Now I know why. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It may also require replacement of the SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module) if it set a hard DTC. You may also need to replace the front impact sensor as well. The best thing to do is take it to a shop and have the DTCS read out. Stored DTCs in an SDM that have "deployment commanded" will require replacement of the component the DTC is for as well as the SDM.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It may also require replacement of the SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module) if it set a hard DTC. You may also need to replace the front impact sensor as well. The best thing to do is take it to a shop and have the DTCS read out. Stored DTCs in an SDM that have "deployment commanded" will require replacement of the component the DTC is for as well as the SDM.
Yes and no. Insurance companies will not use used or reset parts or sensors because of liability concerns, but it's commonly done in the salvage rebuilt world. I've rebuilt a '12 Eco (low front minor hit) for my daughter. It needed front bags and belts for both front occupants. I was able to reset the SDM using a GM Tech II set to T-body Aveo. I've checked the airbag system recently with a Launch scan tool, and all sensors were visible and OK along with the resistance of all the explosive components. My brother also has a rebuilt Eco (High front hit)and his SDM was reset by an SDM reset service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts