Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
That was generally the way a muffler came new when they were constructed of mild steel.

Since they are predominatly stainless (a low grade T409 grade but quite resistant to rot out) the drain holes, for the most part, have disappeared.
With that in mind, don't see the need.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
I noticed this with the dual magnaflows , in 2014 I'm going with a custom 2.5" from ZZP Downpipe and for sure going to drill a small hole in it for safety.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
^ this is true, however I was thinking of applying some anti rust type lube/protectant....im sure there's something like that out there, and if it does rot out just cut it off weld a new tip haha.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Knew one guy that had the seven mile rule, wouldn't even start his vehicle unless he was going to drive at least seven miles to heat up the exhaust system. With the muffler way on the rear, should be at least ten mile rule.

Key emission output is H2O, but by adding carbon to gasoline also get CO2, and deadly CO. By combining nitrogen with the fuel, also get NOX's. By adding all these additives, really don't know what you are getting. Except a drastic noticeable decrease in fuel economy. 10 mpg in the case of my Cruze.

Catalytic converter is an after the fact emission control and can burn up quickly with a misfire. Compounded even worse by using a single O2 sensor. It senses excessive oxygen so enriches the fuel mixture to the remaining cylinders for even more HC's to be burnt up in the cat.

Going way back to the 60's when these issues were brought up. Technology did exist to remove both the C and N components from the intake, but congress killed this idea. Now these idiots see we have a problem and considering the only cure is a CO2 tax.

Engineers know all this stuff, but this country is not run by idiots, but by dirty rotten crooks taught to lie like crazy at Harvard to defend yet another crook. Emission controls could have been done before the fact. For the rest of us, 45 years of extra misery and even more problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some days the car only gets driven a couple of miles, and the moisture builds up. There are times when the water runs out of the exhaust like a hose upon acceleration. I would say at least once a week the car gets out on a 100 mile drive. I had a lumina with a small weep hole and I put over a 150,000 miles on the original muffler. Is the performance and power that much better with a after market exhaust? Maybe I should go that route.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
My dad used to drill a small drain hole in the back of the mufflers. I don't think that practice is needed anymore. Personal experience: 11 year old P5 with 90K miles on the clock still has its entire original exhaust system and it's driven on short errand trips. 16 year old Civic EX only required one replacement catback system in 16 years and 106K miles. Unless the Cruze exhaust system is made in some country with no concept, or belief, in QC, it should last a long time.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I would hope it was made of the same pipe as my buicks, I never did any exhaust work on any of them. Average miles I put on those cars 250K with 10-15 year old cars. Remember I live in the salt belt too.

My 04 cavalier had 110,000 when I traded for cruze, only exhaust work I did was replace the rear muffler hanger(common problem with these cars).

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
My dads 1997 Silverado went until we crushed it last year with the factory exhaust. Still looked like new with 350k km on it.

The Sexy Electrician

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I would hope it was made of the same pipe as my buicks, I never did any exhaust work on any of them. Average miles I put on those cars 250K with 10-15 year old cars. Remember I live in the salt belt too.

My 04 cavalier had 110,000 when I traded for cruze, only exhaust work I did was replace the rear muffler hanger(common problem with these cars).
Ha, I made my own strap for our 04 Cavalier, have a bunch of nickel content 1" by 3/32" strap steel, doubt if that would ever rust out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts