Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Like many on this forum, I too was interested in doing a simple muffler delete replaced by straight pipe/tip. Went today to get a quote and the reputable shop here wants $200. They said the sleeve alone would cost $165 plus the piping and labor. This seems far too much for a simple delete and replacement. For those of you who have done this, what did you pay and what exactly did they replace? I'll have to shop around the more local shops but not expecting much different.

Adam

·
Registered
176 Posts
The pipe might cost $50 in labor to make then 3 welds which is at most another $20 in materials and $20 in labor at most at most Midas shops. This doesn't include the tip. You should buy your own tip and bring it in since they mark-up the price of parts for profit. They're wanting $200 total or $200+$165?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! It was $200 total, including the sleeve. So you are saying they should weld the new pipe without a sleeve? He emphasized the cost of a sleeve is a minimum $165.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for the info! It was $200 total, including the sleeve. So you are saying they should weld the new pipe without a sleeve? He emphasized the cost of a sleeve is a minimum $165.
by "sleeve" do you mean a pipe that mates two pipes together, if you're doing a muffler delete and new tip, they would need to make a new pipe to weld to the stock piping, weld the new tip to that, then make a new hanger. Not sure what you mean by sleeve.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Short of stainless steel materials with a high quality chromed tip, all I see the need for is about $50 in parts and pipe and at most an hour of work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
by "sleeve" do you mean a pipe that mates two pipes together, if you're doing a muffler delete and new tip, they would need to make a new pipe to weld to the stock piping, weld the new tip to that, then make a new hanger. Not sure what you mean by sleeve.
Yeah, I believe that's what they mean. So in lieu of a "sleeve" pipe, they could just weld the new pipe to the stock piping? Not sure why he wouldn't have offered that as an alternative. Perhaps bc it's less profitable. I'll ask them if they can do this setup instead. Thanks guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.