Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No kidding. I have driven the car several thousand miles since I did my custom muffler delete and have averaged a 2-3mpg gain in fuel economy. Maybe this is a rarity, or some voodoo magic, but it happened. I guess my stock exhaust was just that restrictive, but I am sharing because $30ish dollars for a muffler delete and the gain yielded was well worth the money to me. I can take pics and add how/what I used from AutoZone to accomplish the muffler delete, which required no welding if anyone is interested. My only other performance engine mod is a Spectre CAI, which has been on the car almost since I first bought it nearly a year ago. There is not a tune in the car, yet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm interested. Does the car sound much louder after the delete? I don't want to annoy the neighbours. Your MPG boost is making me consider it. Your resonator is untouched?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't want it to sound "ricer" either, and it does not. I YouTube'd "Cruze Eco muffler delete" and found some clips which is why I got the SawZall out. It has a nice little "bass" to the exhaust now (of course more pronounced on cold startup) but it is not loud or annoying to me. I will have to take some pics for you, as I did not when I did the install. I should also have the receipts from AutoZone for part numbers to make that part easy. My cats, resonator and mid pipe is all Stock OEM.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I wanna know how to do a muffler delete without welding and of course the MPG is a factor for me too. What did you use and how did you do it for $30 and no welding?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Starting to make a “How To” here now. Let’s start by letting all the negativecommenters know that they can go run their mouth somewhere else. If you want to see bad a**, no corners cut,no dime spared, go check out my 824hp C6Z06 Corvette I built. The whole purpose of the Cruze for me is tobe built/modded “on the cheap” with things that can be done easily in thegarage at home. It just so happenssometimes things I find out may help or interest others who are likeminded. That being said, let me getposting pics and diagrams.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Starting to make a “How To” here now. Let’s start by letting all the negativecommenters know that they can go run their mouth somewhere else. If you want to see bad a**, no corners cut,no dime spared, go check out my 824hp C6Z06 Corvette I built. The whole purpose of the Cruze for me is tobe built/modded “on the cheap” with things that can be done easily in thegarage at home. It just so happenssometimes things I find out may help or interest others who are likeminded. That being said, let me getposting pics and diagrams.

do you need a safe space?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Cut the muffler at these locations.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a sketch of the parts install, with part numbers, all bought from AutoZone. In America. Not Canada, eh?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exhaust flow in this pic is from left to right.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another view.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aft view, to help you see the rear exhaust clamps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, did I use a hose clamp and exhaust wrap to secure this portion of the exhaust, off a stock hanger? YES. Could this install be improved upon? ABSOLUTELY. One of the reducers and exhaust clamps (at the rear) could be omitted if you can find a 2-1/8" to 1-7/8" reducer, but I used what I had available at the time from my local AutoZone. Total parts cost is around $30. And can be done easily in the garage with NO welding.

Reactions: dtuerk

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks decent! I hit-up canadian tire and picked up some exhaust pipes, Hopefully going to be able to fabricate something this weekend to delete the muffler.

Since I'm up in the great white of it all I'm going to try to do as much welding as I can, try to minimize the amount of places salt can get trapped.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Interesting mod. Do you have a video of what it sounds like?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting mod. Do you have a video of what it sounds like?
I can get a cold start and warm up vid this morning before I head into work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Looks decent! I hit-up canadian tire and picked up some exhaust pipes, Hopefully going to be able to fabricate something this weekend to delete the muffler.

Since I'm up in the great white of it all I'm going to try to do as much welding as I can, try to minimize the amount of places salt can get trapped.
Good stuff. There are at least 15 different ways to skin this cat. I look forward to seeing how yours turns out. Good luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not the best video because of the echo due to the car still being in the garage. I will get another one with the car outside.
https://youtu.be/4ZUB54v0IIo

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
When I installed my BNR downpipe I noticed a similar mpg gain as well. I wonder if a muffler delete would add to that. Very tempting. Nice write up.

Reactions: SPARTANZ06
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.