Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Chevy Cruze Ltz. The car has about 130,000 miles on it but had a new engine installed around 79,000 miles. The car has been putting out an error code for a year for the evap syetem and hasn’t given me really any issues. I got gas Sunday and as soon as I fired it up I knew something was wrong. I would push the gas and it wouldn’t go anywhere and would finally catch and go. Well on Monday morning I put new gas in it and it was ok sluggish but drivable. Tuesday on my way home before I had a chance to stop and get some gas, it was around or below on 100 miles left on the range, the car started to Miss while sitting at a light. When accelerating it seemed fine till you would go up a hill or the car was under load of some sort it would lose speed no matter how hard you pushed the gas & the car wouldn’t tach over 3500 rpm. I got Homs and had the husband put it on the code reader and it puts out 5 new codes. One of these codes is for the evap and it drove fine with just that code but all the codes are p0033, p0299, p0496, p0106, p0302, p01101. My husband knows nothing about these turbo cars and I don’t know a thing about cars. We just replaced the plugs and he said they were all bad but I find it hard to believe that 5 new different things just went out. I believe it is all connected to maybe one or two things and I believe 100% it’s due to the gas I got Sunday. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I don’t really have the money to put it in a shop so we are doing our best to see what we can do on our own. Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,141 Posts
I have a 2015 Chevy Cruze Ltz. The car has about 130,000 miles on it but had a new engine installed around 79,000 miles. The car has been putting out an error code for a year for the evap syetem and hasn’t given me really any issues. I got gas Sunday and as soon as I fired it up I knew something was wrong. I would push the gas and it wouldn’t go anywhere and would finally catch and go. Well on Monday morning I put new gas in it and it was ok sluggish but drivable. Tuesday on my way home before I had a chance to stop and get some gas, it was around or below on 100 miles left on the range, the car started to Miss while sitting at a light. When accelerating it seemed fine till you would go up a hill or the car was under load of some sort it would lose speed no matter how hard you pushed the gas & the car wouldn’t tach over 3500 rpm. I got Homs and had the husband put it on the code reader and it puts out 5 new codes. One of these codes is for the evap and it drove fine with just that code but all the codes are p0033, p0299, p0496, p0106, p0302, p01101. My husband knows nothing about these turbo cars and I don’t know a thing about cars. We just replaced the plugs and he said they were all bad but I find it hard to believe that 5 new different things just went out. I believe it is all connected to maybe one or two things and I believe 100% it’s due to the gas I got Sunday. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I don’t really have the money to put it in a shop so we are doing our best to see what we can do on our own. Thanks in advance
Welcome Aboard!(y)

That was a tough read. If you are dictating, add a couple of paragraph or newline commands next time.

It looks like the most common theme is a boost/vacuum leak. Read this:

2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues
www.cruzekits.com

Potential causes for this code, p0033, to set are:

Bad turbocharger bypass valve actuator
Defective turbocharger bypass valve
Disconnected, cracked, or collapsed vacuum line (vacuum actuated bypass valve)
Faulty boost pressure sensor
Shorted or open wiring in the boost sensor circuit
Loose, corroded, or disconnected electrical connectors in the boost sensor reference circuit
Defective PCM or boost controller.
Read more at: P0033 Turbo Charger Bypass Valve Control Circuit

Potential causes of a P0299 turbo underboost code include:

Intake (induction) air restriction or leak
Failed or damaged turbocharger (sticking, binding, etc.)
Faulty boost/charge pressure sensor
Read more at: P0299 Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition

Potential causes of a P0496 EVAP code include:

Faulty purge or vent solenod/valve
Plugged EVAP canister
Failed EVAP / fuel pressure sensor
Poor electrical connection
Faulty canister purge valve
Blocked vapor canister
Faulty vent solenoid
Read more at: P0496 EVAP Flow During A Non-Purge Condition

A P0106 could be caused by:

Bad MAP sensor
Water/dirt intrusion affecting MAP sensor connector
Intermittent open in the reference, ground, or signal wire for the MAP sensor
Intermittent short in the reference, ground, or signal wire for the MAP sensor
Ground problem due to corrosion causing intermittent signal problem
A break in the flexible air intake duct between the MAF and the intake manifold
Bad PCM (do not assume the PCM is bad until you've exhausted all other possibilities)
Read more at: P0106 DTC Code - MAP / Baro Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem

A code P0302 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Defective ignition coil(s)
Bad spark plug(s), spark plug wires, or spark plug boots
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Malfunctioning fuel delivery system (fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuel injectors, or fuel filter)
Major engine vacuum leak EGR valve stuck in the wide open position
Clogged EGR ports
Read more at: P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

Chevy Cruze P1101 Causes
Engine Wiring– A good place to start is to do an inspection of the area around where the mass airflow sensor plugs into the intake. Make sure that the wiring doesn’t look broken or disconnected. You’d be surprised, in the winter months a rodent can cause a lot of damage to a an engine in one night.

Air Filter– Pull your air filter and see if something has gotten in there. If it has, remove the debris. Or if the filter looks very dirty go ahead and replace it. If enough air is not getting into the engine the mass airflow sensor is not going to get a proper reading, and P1101 will likely be thrown.

If neither the engine wiring or the air filter seems to be a problem, then it’s going to be time to pull the mass airflow sensor and see if it is dirty. A word of caution, these sensors can be incredibly sensitive to the oil’s on skin so make sure to use caution and not touch the sensor element itself.

Leaking Intake– If the intake seal on the Chevy Cruze has been damaged, there’ll be a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak means that air will be getting in to the intake not through the throttle. This is going to dramatically alter the reading at the mass airflow sensor gets and will trigger P1101.

A mechanic would be able to do something called a smoke test, which would let them visually see where the intake is leaking from.

If you would like to try to find the vacuum leak yourself go ahead and perform a visual inspection and make sure that you don’t have a disconnected or broken vacuum hose. If it looks ok, than carb and choke cleaner can help. Here’s a good video on vacuum leak diagnosis.

MAF Sensor May be Bad– at this point the only cost that we should have incurred is the cost of a can of carb and choke cleaner. If everything checked out, and there were no intake leeks, than it’s time to evaluate whether the MAF sensor is bad.

Here’s another YouTube video. This one goes over how to test a MAF sensor with a multi-meter. It’s relatively easy to do and multi meters are cheap.

Read more at:Chevy Cruze P1101 and P0171 Trouble Codes | Drivetrain Resource

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,939 Posts
I think it's very unlikely that bad gas just suddenly caused those issues. Do you drive a lot or do you just put a little gas in everytime you visit a gas station?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do drive a lot I mean a lot and I usually put like 10 but mainly 20$ in it at once what do you think is the issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The evap code has been on there for a year the dealership said it shouldn’t cause any driving problems. Ans it hasn’t caused not one problem

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,939 Posts
Without proper diagnostics, it's hard to say. I'd have a technician look at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts