Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just recently bought my 2014 chevy cruze 1.4L turbo, as well as recently joining this forum and so far i am extremely pleased with the knowledge and members of this forum.

I'd like to start off by saying that i understand we dont have a sports car. I know there are better things to do for better cars but i love my cruze!
The cruze has a little engine and only a low pressure turbo, but nonetheless, its a turbo and i'd love to hear it.

The only thing i have done to the car so far is (LED light swap, not relevant) removed the resonator, and i was able to hear a little spool but nothing much. Very surprised i did have a better throttle response. I have an automatic tranny btw.

Removing that resonator and installing a new k n SRI is the only thing i will do to this car. Period. I do believe stock is the best but like i said i'd like to hear the turbo for fun.

Anyways onto my questions:
I just bought the cruze k&n SRI and i've done my homework but i'd like to ask you smarter guys a few questions.

First: the engine mount. I need to unscrew it to install the heat shield mount. What are the consequences of it not being tight enough? Does anyone have a torque setting?

Second: i am worried for the life of my car. I know pod filters vs stock airbox basically perform the same, but am i safe from hydrolocking? (remeber its an SRI not CAI)

Third: is the battery disconnect nessessary?

Fourth: anything else i should know to keep me/my car safe NOTE: ( i read about the turbulance screen problem and will be adding one)

While i'm here, what does WOT and BPV mean?

Thanks for reading hope i didnt ask too much.

·
Registered
625 Posts
1st: tighten it back up and give it a little snug. Don't have the specs on hand but when I did mine I just tightened it pretty good and no probs.

2nd: get yourself the injen dryflow filter (made by amsoil) as the k&n isn't great for filtering

3rd: You should unhook the battery as to have the car learn the sri when you reconnect and drive.

4th: do add the air straightener as it will help with the turbulence.

WOT means wide open throttle and BPV stands for bypass valve. Don't think your asking too many questions as that's what we are all here for. To help each other. Congrats on the cruze! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st: tighten it back up and give it a little snug. Don't have the specs on hand but when I did mine I just tightened it pretty good and no probs.

2nd: get yourself the injen dryflow filter (made by amsoil) as the k&n isn't great for filtering

3rd: You should unhook the battery as to have the car learn the sri when you reconnect and drive.

4th: do add the air straightener as it will help with the turbulence.

WOT means wide open throttle and BPV stands for bypass valve. Don't think your asking too many questions as that's what we are all here for. To help each other. Congrats on the cruze! Enjoy it!
Thank you i appreciate your reply. I saw a post on here about that blue injen filter that requires no oil and will be buying right before my k&n intake needs its maintance (my local dump will be its only maintance as i've heard/seen bad things about the filter quality) just gotta give my pockets a break after spending ~$250 on the new intake!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
also keep in mind that intake really is not going to add any power.The 250 is best spent towards a tune. It also is going to tend to breath hot under hood air at slow speeds

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
also keep in mind that intake really is not going to add any power.The 250 is best spent towards a tune. It also is going to tend to breath hot under hood air at slow speeds
It wont be adding any power at all, i'm sure, but I won't be getting a tune, unnessessary money spent. Like the trifecta stuff. If i cant do it myself i wont be doing it all.

Is that hot air your speaking of bad? Whats the deal with that because i drive through urban alot

I thought the intercooler would handle that?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Your still adding a higher temp supply of air to the engines intercooler.Its efficiency will be degraded slightly.Intake air temp would be right around 145 to 150 degrees F.Compare that to 90 degree outside air temp.The factory intake for the most part inhales out side temp air

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your still adding a higher temp supply of air to the engines intercooler.Its efficiency will be degraded slightly.Intake air temp would be right around 145 to 150 degrees F.Compare that to 90 degree outside air temp.The factory intake for the most part inhales out side temp air
That cant be good for the car. Sounds like i'm just shortening my engines life?

·
Registered
175 Posts
An argument with CAI and SAI is that the SAI are pulling more of your engine's warm air, as a CAI "usually" pulls colder air from outside of your engine bay. All in all if you want to hear your turbo spool more I suggest a tune(if you don't want to see your CEL) and look at Bad News Racing's Catless Downpipe, I've been running one for almost 2 years. Really picks up the sound and gives it a better response IMO

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don't think its going to shorten the engines life.Just giving you my thoughts on the intake.The best mod for these cars is a nice tune.Its the most bang for the buck.If someone told me they would give me that intake (It would not be on my car) The factory intake with a K&N panel filter and res bypass will flow all the air this engine needs. And it is designed to give the MAF sensor consistent air flow to provide the data to the ecm.The total cost to set the car up like this is about 500 bucks.The result is a aggressive intake sound and engine sound.And about 30% more power in the engines RPM range.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(if you don't want to see your CEL) and look at Bad News Racing's Catless Downpipe, I've been running one for almost 2 years. Really picks up the sound and gives it a better response IMO
Sorry, what is my CEL?

I don't think its going to shorten the engines life.Just giving you my thoughts on the intake.The best mod for these cars is a nice tune.Its the most bang for the buck.If someone told me they would give me that intake (It would not be on my car) The factory intake with a K&N panel filter and res bypass will flow all the air this engine needs. And it is designed to give the MAF sensor consistent air flow to provide the data to the ecm.The total cost to set the car up like this is about 500 bucks.The result is a aggressive intake sound and engine sound.And about 30% more power in the engines RPM range.
Do you know how tunes are installed? Is this something i can do myself? I saw that Vtuner post on here and i can afford all of it, it says they will ship something but is that it? Or do you need a specialized mechanic to complete the install?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Most tuning companies will send you a tuner which you will hook up to your plugin located under the driver side dash, just above your pedals and to the left. They have instructions you follow to flash your cars computer with the tune that they supply. some of the companies will have you log a file and then have you send that log to them and they will tune your car to how you had been driving.

Sounds hard but for the car owner its easier than the person writing the tune lol. Really a tune is the best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you can use this website, you can tune your car. Current methods are a handheld tuner or a laptop that you use to flash your car using a pre built tune file.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm with you! I have the K&N Typhoon so I can hear the turbo. And it sounds great with the manual transmission! I don't think you get the full effect of the turbo sound with an automatic.

Performace does seem to drop off when the outsiide air is above ~70 F. I assume that 's due to drawing in hot air from under the hood. Also, when I took the intake off last year there was a little dust inside the intake tube. So, the filter doesn't filter everything. I guess I need this DryCharger wrap

RU-5147DK - K&N Filter Wraps, Air Filter Wrap

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm with you! I have the K&N Typhoon so I can hear the turbo. And it sounds great with the manual transmission! I don't think you get the full effect of the turbo sound with an automatic.

Performace does seem to drop off when the outsiide air is above ~70 F. I assume that 's due to drawing in hot air from under the hood. Also, when I took the intake off last year there was a little dust inside the intake tube. So, the filter doesn't filter everything. I guess I need this DryCharger wrap

RU-5147DK - K&N Filter Wraps, Air Filter Wrap
I am very happy to say that no, i get the same effect with automatic!!

Just completed the install and oh my lord it sounds like a whole new vehicle!

I am NOT stretching the truth! I can hear my turbo about i'd say a 90% increase in noise. I am very pleased. When i first heard that blow off i said to myself **** no choice but to put exhaust on now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts