Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so here's my mixed up post that has a little bit of everything in it...

First! Trifecta Tune:
For anyone who has ordered from BNR and you are still waiting on your data log to come in, check your junk mail folder.... Mine was sitting there for a while.
More... Prior to ordering my tune, my car was stock. Since ordering it, I've added an K&N Typhoon SRI. Should the tune now need to be altered somehow to compensate? After sending the datalog (with SRI installed), the response from trifecta was that all information was within specified parameters. I'm not sure what they are measuring, but I would assume that the airflow would have substantially changed, thus resulting in a change in the tune.
I've also been experiencing the rough idle from time to time (while in eco mode) and it's not necessarily at a cold start. I'm looking forward to reading any more info that comes up on the board as I see other members have been experiencing this as well.

Second! Oil Change:
My first service/oil change is coming up... I currently have almost 9000KM on the car and the oil life is still reading at 28%. At what point does the vehicle think it's time for an oil change? This is certainly a different thing for me from having to change every 5-6000KM with regular oil. Should I go by what the DIC says or go with a KM value?

Third! Service at Dealership:
As stated above, my first service is quickly approaching and I have installed a K&N SRI and a Trifecta Tune. Should I revert back to stock tune for every service appointment or for general maintenance should I just leave it as is?
I've never personally dealt with this dealership and I'm not sure how they are going to react to the SRI, let alone the tune... The last thing I want to do is lose out on my warranty.

Fourth! Mileage:
I personally think that my mileage sucks compared to what some of you are saying you are getting...
Since adding the SRI and Tune, it has actually gotten better by about 1-2 MPG on average, which isn't signigicant, but it's a bit.
I've recently started using the fuelly app as I thought the DIC may be off or out of whack.

Here's my banner from Fuelly:

It's not that far off from what the DIC states. (PS. My wife named the car... :S)
What are some things I can check to ensure I'm getting my best mileage, other than tire pressure?
I would like to be at least in the low 30s.

Sorry for the big long post on multiple issues... thought it would be best to get it all out there in one rather than make a few.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
1. The stock airbox flows almost as good as any aftermarket, it's just a lot quieter. If Vince says the data log was good, it's good :)

2. I typically do the first oil change around 2k miles and then go by the OLM and run it down to 20%. It uses a few things like temperatures, driving patterns, etc to determine how quick the oil life drops, I believe most people get 6-10k miles

3. I wouldn't worry if you're just going in for an oil change. Trifecta policy to cover their a$$ is to always flash back and revert mods to stock any time you bring it in, and this is also the safest way to go, but again... oil change? I wouldn't even bother messing with anything, you'll be in and out.

4. I can't comment too much on mileage since I rarely drive more than 3 miles on any given day so I haven't been able to accurately gauge how the 2013 model is, my 2011 model was driven a lot and got 20-45mpg depending on weather, traffic, and driving pattern. To improve MPG, it's really 80% skill, 10% terrain, and 10% setup. Can try increasing the pressure in the tires as you already stated, be sure to try and avoid boost when possible, keep RPM's low. Drive slower on the highway, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I'd change when the OLM says 25% or at 7500 miles/12,000 kilometers, whichever comes first. That's assuming you're running a full synthetic oil. Shorten that up when running the synthetic blend oil the dealers like to use.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Which trim and transmission do you have?. Various trims and transmissions range from upper 20s to low 40s for combined MPG.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
As far as fuel mileage the tuned engine will be capable of better mpg if driven normally.But not with the tuned auto trans.GMs stock T76 auto trans tune for power management and fuel mileage cant be beat.And yes a lot will say the trans feels better and has better manners tuned includeing my wife lol.But plain and simple the stock tune does a better job of keeping the engine on its power band and is converter lock up happy to keep fuel mileage up.Some are reporting rough idles mostly on cold start that is a issue trifecta is working on.As far as intakes go i do not see a advantage over a stock intake with a K&N panel filter which also is a cold air intake.A lot of the aftermarket intakes run on hot under hood air i dont see a advantage there.And a lot will say well its intercooled anyway.True but starting out with out side air temps does aid the intercooler in its job.And yes for any trip to the dealer it is better that the car looks stock.If we have to call GM about any type of Diag they will always ask if the car has any type of mods.On oil life i see to many problems with some GM engines in general do to oil life monitor systems.I sugjest changeing oil at 5000 miles on my own cars its done between 4 and 5000 miles

·
Registered
22 Posts
My fuel mileage went down as I expected with the tune since i can't keep my foot out of it ( love that part throttle boost pull ). Interesting thing is the DIC ( instant MPG ) showed exactly the same mileage as the stock tune for about 50- 100 miles and then became more realistic. For example, 3/4 throttle was showing about 8-10 mpg at first but now the same throttle drops to about 4 mpg. So it would seem that the DIC "learns" fuel usage based on injector pulse width or mass airflow. If i switch to the stock tune it shows the same instant MPG. My total average MPG has stayed about the same at 29.7 MPG.I removed my muffler and added dual outlets after getting the tune and have noticed an occasional "miss" or bump at WOT along with some spark knock at low RPM. First thing I did was verify the plug gap was correct at 0.25". After viewing the datalog i realized that it wasn't a cylinder missfire but due to ALOT of boost. I think the wastegate is dumping boost momentarily per design. Boost pressures at WOT exceed 28 psi. I am sure this is a condition I caused by removing the muffler and changing exhaust backpressure. Been to busy to send the datalog to TF and verify this though.Personally I change my oil when the oil life monitor reaches 50%. Have done this for years on my GM vehicles and not had any problems. For me that usually equals about 3000-4000 miles.

·
Registered
594 Posts
1) Can't help you with a tune question
2) Change the oil now, did my first oil change at 4,000KM(2,500miles) and TBN was down to 3.3 and personally I think it would have fallen below 1.0 if I ran it double the mileage.
3) The dealer will service it fine like it is now, however, depending how the dealer handles first time service it MAY be noted in the repair history that it has modifications. They might not go out of their way and check PCM programming for a tune but they could not the visible alterations.
4) We have a 1LT/6A and are seeing a lifetime MPG of 31.6 mpg and 10 tank average of 33.2 mpg, our biggest gain was when the weather warmed up and we quit using the remote start function. I recently re-gapped the spark plugs and am waiting to see if that has helped. We don't drive aggressive FWIW.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
after install tune and do datalog do i need floor it or drive normally.
Warm the car up for 10-15 minutes with some light driving, then floor it while in sport mode for the datalog. Repeat that a few times, if possible. You don't need a giant datalog, just a few high-RPM pulls.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts