Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Cruze Community!

I was hoping a question I've had for quite awhile can be answered. I have owned a 2014 Chevy Cruze LTZ for about 1.5 years now.

I own an iPhone 7 Plus and within the past two years have also had an iPhone 5S and a Samsung K8. Regardless of the phone or the multiple cables I have used, the music will not play over the cars stereo system IF it is plugged into the USB slot. I have used multiple phones and multiple cords and still the same result since day 1 of owning the vehicle. the music will play fine over Bluetooth if the phone is not connected directly with the USB, but as soon as I connect it, the Bluetooth ability appears to disappear.

Does anyone have a solution I can try before asking the dealership?

Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
IIRC. And it's been over a year since i tried it. So I could be wrong,. But I think the music has to be on a usb device. Not on a phone.

Seems like I had no issues with a memory drive. Just couldn't get it to work on phone.

I'll have to give it a whirl. Mines a 17 with newer style radio. But now that I think about it. I think it was the same results with the kenwood radio in the kenworth I drive also.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I play music from my iPhone 6S through the USB port just fine. The radio usually switches to my phone automatically when I plug it in.

The one thing I know I can not do in my car is stream music over Bluetooth.

Is there a chance there may be something going on with the USB port in your car?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
PUll down your notification drop down at the top of the screen. Look for a usb notification and click on it. Mine said phone charge. If i change that setting music stopped working.

If I plug the cable in. It'll work the first time. Unplug and plug back in. There was no second chance without rebooting the phone.

Don't expect any functionality through the radio. And full functionality through the phone. Android Auto kept kicking on. And bluetooth won't stay shut off.

It worked. But not without annoyances.

Better off using a thumb drive.

I had no luck when I first got the car. I didn't think to try it with the new phone i got 2 months ago.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,597 Posts
Have pretty much the same problem. Did you ever figure this out?
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

My 2014 took a bit of fiddling around, but it worked in the end. Make sure you have a very good cable as cheap ones don't seem to work, sometimes mine does not automatically switch to USB so I had to manually do it.

If you have a mini stereo jack on your phone, try that instead. I have even played music through that while charging via the USB.

Lastly, for the Bluetooth, make sure the previous owners phones have been uncoupled. There are only so many "slots" to pair to.

I've done all this with an iPhone and an Android phone.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Im confused, the phone or the USB stick needs to be plugged into the data USP port in the front. USB will just play via USB and with the phone as the middle man youll need to do android auto/apple car play to access though whatever phone app you use to play that music..im pretty sure you cant just connect your phone and the car reads off its storage and plays music.

USB sticks are super cheap and work just like any other PC folder. Just make folders and drop music in, then plug it in and select USB input and your good. Only issue ive ever had is that they buried change folder in the UI you need to select more option to see it, and there is no rewind which sucks.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,597 Posts
Forgot to add,

Make sure the volume is loud enough on your phone to be picked up by the stereo.
It sometimes takes a long time to index if you have a large drive/phone. Try starting with a few songs to get it to work.
Also remember to uncouple your phone when your done so as to not drain the battery needlessly as the connection keeps the system awake for some reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts