Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want this thread to be another splash shield recall and how they cut it. Is there anyone in a GM shop, that knows if a customer can voluntarily opt out of a recall and not have it done?

I would like the Brake Switch recall performed, and I appear to have a leaky water pump. I've added about 1.5 cups of coolant every 6-8 weeks, and I've done this twice. It looks like there's noticable coolant stains down the water pump and block. They should be able to see it, even without the dye.

Can anyone comment as to if the splash shield can be removed with the wheels on the ground? I guess that's one option, and then bring the car in for service.

I have a jack and stands and for brake work off the sub-frame no problem. I've even rotated tires, but climbing under with body parts while supported by a jack I'm not really excited about. Maybe a few inches would be all I need to get under there?

Thoughts & Thanks for your time.

Carbon02

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
I have a jack and stands and for brake work off the sub-frame no problem. I've even rotated tires, but climbing under with body parts while supported by a jack I'm not really excited about. Maybe a few inches would be all I need to get under there?

Thoughts & Thanks for your time.
Rhino Ramps will get you plenty of clearance to get that shield off. I bought mine at Walmart - I think for like $35, but it was a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Previous Rides
2002 Intrigue 3.5L,LX5, AT 135,000- Owned for 10 years.. PM for Intrigue help. P1811 also a problem with this car.
2002 Intrigue 3.5L, LX5, AT, 89,000- Owned for 12 years.. Dreaded P1811 killed this transmission.
1985 & 1989 Olds Ciera
1980 Olds Supreme (gone but not forgotten..)
My wife had a 2000 Intrigue GL - made it to 140,000 before it was rear ended and totaled, however her Transmission lost top gear and we had the transmission repaired. The Check Engine Light was the biggest issue, always struggled to get through emissions testing. The CEL was for the emission air injector.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
To answer your questions.

Yes its possible to decline the engine shield recall and even if you you do end up declining if you ever decide to change your mind you can always bring it in for the recall free of charge at anytime.

If would be very difficult to remove the engine shield without being under.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
You can opt out of a recall and choose to complete it later if you want to. If the dealer tells you otherwise find another service shop... but keep in mind that if the recall causes a problem it will be noted that you opted out and insurance won't cover the car.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife had a 2000 Intrigue GL - made it to 140,000 before it was rear ended and totaled, however her Transmission lost top gear and we had the transmission repaired. The Check Engine Light was the biggest issue, always struggled to get through emissions testing. The CEL was for the emission air injector.
Neither one of us drive Intrigues anymore, but I believe that was the Air Injection pump digesting water problem. If anyone else reads this go over to the google "Aurora North America Forum" and search for this problem in the Generation 2 cars. That Air injection pump would suck in air, and either the pump or the diaprams on each cylinder head would go. I think someone fixed the air pump diaphram by cuting his wifes silicone baking sheet. It worked I guess!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts