Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Cruze with a turbo and recently (over the last 4-5 months) I have been having several issues with a musty/smelly feet smell. I've taken it in 3 times to the dealership. The first time they replaced several parts and told me I was good to go. Well the problem quickly came back. The second time, they claimed there was no smell and told me to get it detailed, that I was smelling it from the upholstery. I got it detailed and the problem was still there. I took it back again two days ago and I was told that a few 2014 Cruzes have been taken off the lot due to the same problem and a GM engineer was going to be evaluating the cars including mine. I just received a call that the smell isn't "that bad" and there is nothing they can do. Has anyone had these issues? To clarify...the smell is only there when the A/C is OFF and it doesn't go away unless I turn the A/C back on. Any info is appreciated...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Never heard of cruzes being stop saled with this issue, Ive heard there were some incidents with bad pcv valves causing odors. just throwing this out there... have you considered the source of smelly feed being...well...smelly feet? :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes! Haha I have made sure all feet in the car are clean and smell free!:) And there are no dirty socks lying around! I describe it as smelly feet because that's the first thing that comes to mind, my boyfriend describes it as musty. We're just frustrated because this car isn't even a year old and they can't seem to fix the issue!

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Check the PCV Valve, if it's hissing this may be the issue. Another fix is to replace the cabin air filter with a carbon air filter (worked wonders in my 2003 Infiniti) also, in some locations, mice among other things like to get into the air intake and die. I know this isn't part of the AC system etc but it can lead to bad smells in the engine bay and this could lead to smelly issues especially when the engine is hot.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
You have mold and/or mildew in your HVAC system. GM has a kit that can be used to clean this out. Once cleaned out have your dealership turn on the HVAC after blow to help dry out the air ducts after use. Unless you have had good success with this dealership in the past find another one.

There is no stop sale or recall due to this issue. Also, the Cruze isn't the only car prone to mold and mildew build up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what the dealership originally thought, that it may be a dead animal. However, after checking it out, they said there was no sign of an animal. Would the PCV valve be hissing with the engine off?

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
That is what they did the first time I took it in, along with replacing some parts. This was the end of April, beginning of May...would it get bad again that quick?
Engine off no... mold quickly, yes, it's possible. Sometimes they take multiple treatments. Keep in mind the weather has been warmer thus mold will thrive especially if it's humid. I would treat it now and again in another 2 weeks to ensure it kills everything.

·
10,712 Posts
Mine does it sometimes I just turn a/c back on and recirc. When I get near home roll windows down and heat full blast. Temp fix till you can get in there. I run a/c most of the times since May as my allergies prevent windows down unless it rained a lot previously. If I get cold I turn recirc off and move the cold 2 notches above the blue dot.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Another fix is to replace the cabin air filter with a carbon air filter (worked wonders in my 2003 Infiniti)
This worked wonders when I had my Cruze.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes! Haha I have made sure all feet in the car are clean and smell free!:) And there are no dirty socks lying around! I describe it as smelly feet because that's the first thing that comes to mind, my boyfriend describes it as musty. We're just frustrated because this car isn't even a year old and they can't seem to fix the issue!
It's probably your boyfriends feet, have him checked out!

Sorry for the easy shot. Maybe it was flooded out?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,533 Posts
I've had it both but it is usually set to pull air in from the outside.
You may think that (as the recirc light is off), but when the temperature dial is on the coldest setting and AC is switched on, the Cruze automatically closes the recirculate damper door without lighting up the recirculate button in the car.

For true "fresh" air, turn the knob one click above the coldest setting (it's often not cold enough for me without recirculating the air, but I do few long highway trips and lots more city driving).

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,533 Posts
Other note - there is an "afterblow" function that can be enabled by the dealership to run the fan to dry the evaporator core once the car is parked and shut off.

Alternatively, you can make a habit of turning off the AC and blasting the fan on high for ~1-2 minutes before you park the car...should help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the posts everyone! My boyfriend is taking the rental back to the dealership right now and getting my car back but he's gonna discuss all the suggestions you gave, with them. I just don't want to have to "deal" with this while its not even a year old! We'll see what happens I suppose...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts