Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My Chevy Cruze has been decent ever since I took new ownership in June of 2012.

But, in the last week my car has had a bunch of problems pop up.

On 02/10/2017, my 2012 Chevy Cruze 1LT began showing the Engine Light on the dashboard - Service Stabillitrak also came up on the DIC. The car began surging, black smoke poured out the tail pipe. I brought my car into my local Dealership and they plugged their code reader into the car. It showed 4 codes total, and after a diagnosis my car results were in. They reported my car has a faulty intake cam cover/manifold, and front h2os sensor.

The cost to fix this comes to 561.6 Labour, 1123.13 Parts, + Tax = $1903 after tax, labour and parts. They're willing to pay half as a good will gesture.

Error Codes - P015B, P0106, P0171, P1101

Engine is currently at 161, 500 KM

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
A half-price repair on a 100,000 mile vehicle, out of warranty, does not sound like a nightmare to me.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
A half-price repair on a 100,000 mile vehicle, out of warranty, does not sound like a nightmare to me.
Unfortunate, but I have to agree. The symptoms strike me as a little odd, but the repair is not completely out of character for what sometimes happens to a Cruze.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Sounds like a lot for an intake manifold and sensor.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Sounds like a lot for an intake manifold and sensor.
Given the spelling and use of Kilometers, I'm guessing this is Canadian dollars. At the current exchange rate, that would be $760 USD after discount. List price on the manifold itself is $430 USD. Not cheap, but given the discount, I don't know as it's unreasonable.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Hang on a second. What your car is doing is not at all uncommon.

1) Buy the cam cover and do it yourself. Easy peasy...if you can turn a wrench, you can do this.
2) You DO NOT need an O2 sensor. Every Cruze throws these O2 sensor codes when the cam cover valve fails.
3) Look into XR's PCV system workaround for the check valve in intake manifold. Or just ignore the valve and keep replacing cam covers when the thing fails.

All in all...do not spend the $ at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
MY leaky cam cover did the same thing. cost me $79 in parts and 30 min with a torque wrench . Either they are throwing extra parts like the o2 sensors or they are robbing you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a faulty O2 sensor error code too, it was a loose oil fill cap. So the dealership said, since they were the last ones under the hood when I got an oil change.. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had all the work done, I Paid $1200 Canadian.

They also found a leak in the coolant line, replaced as well.

What would you guys have done in my situation?

Replaced:
Cover A
Manifold
Outlet
Coolant
Hose

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How can I escalate this further?

I've called the 1-800 number, spoke with a first level rep, then their supervisor. Nothing accomplished yet.

Can I email or talk to a district manager, etc?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
If this is the first 'out of pocket' mechanical expense on a car with 100k miles, if you are not a do it yourself type, I think you did fine.
The 50% thing was quite generous and certainly not expected.

With that in mind, think of it as the cost of one additional tank of fuel for every thousand miles traveled. A fairly acceptable cost.

Rob

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Sell her and go Toyota or Honda would probably be my next best option eh?
Drive it and get your money's worth from the repairs you put into it is probably your best option ?

Also, find a good, honest independent mechanic. Preferably one that works on foreign and domestics that you can trust in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts