Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this forum looking for info on intake mods for the 2nd gen. I found a post a user did on making a Spectre DIY intake, but can't seem to find it now. Anyway, here's a pic of mine I made. It has been five days since I installed it. I never got a check engine light. I got a serious lack of top-end power the first two days, then it straightened out. Now my car accelerates much faster, ditched the hesitation on takeoff, and I have some sweet turbo noise going on :D

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks! I used the Spectre mass air flow adapter tube and medium size air filter from the parts store. I was dubious about the plastic part, but the thing is way more tough than I would have guessed. It comes with three different sensor adapter plates for different makes. I think it was the mazda plate i used, the big square one to have room for the big wide sensor on this car and so the sensor screw holes lined up with the holes on the plate. Lined the sensor up in the center of the plate and cut out a hole to insert the sensor through. Then my friend got bored and took over. He scribed the square base of the sensor onto the plate so that it would go down into the plate up to the green o-ring. He realized that the screw holes on the sensor wouldn't line up with the adapter plate holes, so he got two longer screws and made small pilot holes through the plate and tube. Then we used a bench grinder to flatten out the lip around the hole in the sensor tube on two sides so the gasket would seal tight between them. Cut out a little plastic on the tube so the sensor would go in, and after a few more adjustments with the Dremel, had a tight seal all around the sensor. I decided to leave the bottom half of the air box in to support the air filter, to prevent water water from splashing up from around the engine, and to catch some of the cooler air blowing in the grill. Clamped it on and took off! An hour and a half and forty bucks, and now my car accelerates much better and sounds totally awesome

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks! I used the Spectre mass air flow adapter tube and medium size air filter from the parts store.
Which Spectre MAFS Adapter did you use? I tried a Spectre 87051 MAFS adapter today, and the Bosch MAFS that came with my 2011 Cruze Eco wouldn't fit in the MAFS mounting hole on the side of the pipe, even with the black plastic manufacture specific mounting plates taken off.

Did you use the Spectre 9405 MAFS adapter and then you STILL had to bore out the mounting plate to get it to work? I don't have the tools for that.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Anyone who does this mod, make sure to pull neg battery cable to reset the MAF system/sensor so your car runs properly when you start it up with the new intake on. Just unplugging the MAF sensor is not sufficient.

·
Registered
12 Posts
None of them would fit, I still had to cut it out. Used a drill with a cutting bit. It was pretty easy.
Ok. But did you have to expand the hole on the side the pipe, or just one of the plastic plates? The issue I ran into with the other adapter was I couldn't even stick the MAFS in the hole on the side w/out a plastic plate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I had to widen the pipe also. I removed the negative cable before I installed it. I forgot to mention that :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts