Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I drove a 2017 chevy cruze with cloth seats for the first round. I absolutely loved it, but I noticed you have to be light on your feet with the pedal or when that turbo spools up you are riding someone's butt by accident. I had that happen a few times and had to brake going up a highway ramp. It is by no means blazing speed, but it can put a small grin on your face. The turbo was a little quirky imo, but in a fun way if that makes sense?

1. Did anyone else notice the chevy cruze's turbo acting quite a bit more playful than a chevy sonic for example? I know the cruze has a bit more power than the sonic, but idk they felt like two different cars to me. The sonic felt more planted with a solid surge of power, but the cruze felt like a rush. Maybe it was just me....anyways next question

2. I hate the start stop feature. It was the primary reason that I did not buy one yet. You can turn it off being in manual mode and set your gear all the way to the top. It shifts like it is in auto then, but stop start becomes disabled. I did not know this during my test. If I set the car into manual mode every time will it remember being in the top gear setting every time, or do you have to manually shift the gearing all the way up each time?

3. The seats are just ok to me. Good enough to get the job done. I've been in much worse. Did anyone else notice that even the cloth seats retain a large amount of heat specifically in your lower back region? I've never had this issue before, but after about a 20 minute drive. My back was on fire with the AC on. Almost thought that I had the heated seats on, but that wasn't even on the car that I was testing...lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
So I drove a 2017 chevy cruze with cloth seats for the first round. I absolutely loved it, but I noticed you have to be light on your feet with the pedal or when that turbo spools up you are riding someone's butt by accident. I had that happen a few times and had to brake going up a highway ramp. It is by no means blazing speed, but it can put a small grin on your face. The turbo was a little quirky imo, but in a fun way if that makes sense?

1. Did anyone else notice the chevy cruze's turbo acting quite a bit more playful than a chevy sonic for example? I know the cruze has a bit more power than the sonic, but idk they felt like two different cars to me. The sonic felt more planted with a solid surge of power, but the cruze felt like a rush. Maybe it was just me....anyways next question

2. I hate the start stop feature. It was the primary reason that I did not buy one yet. You can turn it off being in manual mode and set your gear all the way to the top. It shifts like it is in auto then, but stop start becomes disabled. I did not know this during my test. If I set the car into manual mode every time will it remember being in the top gear setting every time, or do you have to manually shift the gearing all the way up each time?

3. The seats are just ok to me. Good enough to get the job done. I've been in much worse. Did anyone else notice that even the cloth seats retain a large amount of heat specifically in your lower back region? I've never had this issue before, but after about a 20 minute drive. My back was on fire with the AC on. Almost thought that I had the heated seats on, but that wasn't even on the car that I was testing...lol

1. My shifting is really hesitate and weird. Maybe its just mine but it can be a little wonky.

2. The car will not remember, every time you go into drive (into L mode) you will have to shift up to L6 every time. I do it everyday, takes like 2 seconds. Now if you are in D, and shift into L going while you are driving, it will shift into a gear I'm guessing the one below or current I am not sure someone correct me.

3. The seats are okay for me as well. I did notice that my lower back was very hot too, especially with the windows down and no A/C.

I'm an owner of a 2016 gen2 cruze, so I have had some experience with it, ask away!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I agree with the cruze being wonky with power delivery. It's like sometimes it has a mind of its own. The funny thing is that issue was nonexistent with the Sonic for me. It seemed more normal. Thanks for the info on the manual shift. It's not a terrible trade off. I just wish they would let the consumer choose to have stop start on or off. And I'm glad that I am not completely going crazy with the seats. It's like the fabric absorbs the heat and holds it in one spot instead of dispersing the heat. Some people might like that, but I found it very strange. I wish I could take the seats from my 2012 altima and put them in the cruze.....#most comfortable ride on the road then.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I believe you can thank the feds and epa folks for that start/stop technology that's mandatory on all automatic vehicles for sale in the U.S. or soon will be ... and manufacturers got smart to people defeating the system, so they changed it (and probably will again once they see the tricks people are using to defeat it). Another way to somewhat "defeat" start/stop is once you come to a stop and the engine stops as well, simply let off the brake and the engine should kick back on, and stay on until you pass a certain speed and come to a complete stop again. Never drove a Sonic, and also never drove an automatic Cruze ... knew I wanted a manual from day 1. If they offered a manual transmission in the Chevy Volt I now own, I'd have opted for that too. I prefer manuals for any vehicle unless it's a vehicle I'll be pulling a trailer with on a regular basis.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,545 Posts
Might just be how the Cruze reacts on regular gas. I actually find the Gen 2 to feel very detuned/pokey unless you really lay into it; then it comes alive in the midrange. The older 1.4T in the Sonic feels like it has a much more aggressive throttle mapping at the low end of the rev range, and then runs out of steam around 3800-4000 RPM. The dull throttle mapping, I think, helps the newer motor get better gas mileage than the older one, which seemed to be programmed to feel peppy in the Gen 1 Cruze, and often got pretty bad city MPG in automatic form.

Have to change to L6 every single time you move to L.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,062 Posts
Did anyone else notice the chevy cruze's turbo acting quite a bit more playful than a chevy sonic for example? I know the cruze has a bit more power than the sonic, but idk they felt like two different cars to me. The sonic felt more planted with a solid surge of power, but the cruze felt like a rush. Maybe it was just me....anyways next question
Given it's an entirely different engine, that would make sense they behave differently. The vehicles being on two separate platforms would further reinforce the feeling of being different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts