Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

My 4 year review of my cruze

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  MoonlitKnight 
#1 ·
Hello all.

I missed my 3 year review apparently, but there is a 2 year review. http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-general-discussion-forum/45513-my-2-year-cruze-review.html

I will start as always by giving details on my car.

Its a 2012 1.4t with 42k miles.

It currently sits on bilstien b6 shocks. Stock springs and Michelin all season premier tires.

Mods:
Front struct bar.
Front sway end links
( shocks and tires too)
rear whittling sway bar
14" LED light bar 5700 lumens of light
racing stripes
blacked out rims
blacked out chrome
SRI from K&N with a Injen filter
LED bowtie with changing lights ( run light/ braking)

Interior:
LED footwell lights
dual gauge pod on A pillar
--oil pressure and trans temp(getting rid of this and replacing it.)--
vaccum/ boost gauge
Replaces all light bulbs inside with LED's (blue dome light)

That is it on the mods, a bit more then i thought.

Reliablity to date

This past year was a bad year for my cruze. In july at 36k my Turbo charger broke, the cam cover failed and the PCV check valve failed. All at once. The car spent a number of days in the shop following this WARRANTY work being done. After the work was done the car had a prescient oil leak. The eventual cause was linked to a improperly installed seal on both the intake manifold and the cam cover. It took several trips and a number of emails/ phone calls to get this resolved, but it is finally fixed.

The car has shown a few weird issues that i can never repeat, it will randomly pull boost and refuse to build pressure for a minute, then go back to normal. Outside of these issues the car has been running well. I saw my best MPG this year. With the addition of Amsoil for the fuel, brakes and oil the car has been running very well.

other comments

I will not go into the performance and ride of the car. Since i upgraded shocks and tire i wills ay the car rides very nicely and has quieted down. Its been an easy car to own It has given very little issue over its 4 years. This year was just a particular bad year for her. But it does it job very well.

Recently i was involved in my first car accident. I was rear ended on the highway. Previous to being hit the cruze went from 60-0 without skidding or trying to ver off. The abs kicked in and allowed the car to pull up with a few inches to spare. ( didn't help me thought i still got hit.) But i have experience this cars ability to stop and react to situations. I feel safe every time i get behind the wheel of this car.

I have been very pleased with this car. It has so far been withstanding time. It has very little rust to speak of. This is impressive considering i live in the city that LOVES to dump salt for snow storms. It has been able to handle the weather very well snow and rain. Its no 4x4, but its manages ver well Overall I'm still in love with this car. It has its issue, but even considering those it still inspires confidence and is a pleasure to drive for long distance.

I hope you all enjoy this. any questions feel free to ask

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for this brother.

Will you bring her back to Lordstown this year?

#6 ·
I know there are two reasons for the turbo failure. One is the waste gate breaks. The second is from a failed turbo bearing. They changed the oil feed line going to the turbo on later models ( just like the cam cover) to help aleive the issue. IT was covered under emissions warranty so that extend longer than you think.

i will be returned for 3rd trip to lords town, i am looking forward to it, hopefully by then i will have all my little projects buttoned up. ( the exhaust is the next big thing for me)

Reactions: jblackburn
#7 ·
#9 ·
Seems to me that K&N filters were also identified as a source of turbo failures.

#10 ·
i have never and will never run a K&N filter in my car or truck... simple as that.

its something that if you have concern over you can replace yourself i think... i have seen one or two post on the matter through Facebook. As for the turbo in general, its covered by the emmsions warranty, i am not sure how long that goes for. But if you want you maybe able to get the oil line do it yourself. ( NOT AN EXPERT)

Reactions: sparkman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.