Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guy i was gona do my oil change on my 2012 cruze lt 1.4t 6 speed manual and the tranny didn't have a level plug only fill and drain how do u check then does anyone have this ????

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is straight off GM SI, hope this helps

1. Remove and DISCARD the fluid drain plug 
2. Drain the transmission fluid into a suitable and clean container
Note: This transmission is NOT equipped with a fluid level dipstick or oil level setting plug. The fluid level can only be
checked by draining and filling procedure.
3.Let the transmission fluid drain for 10 minutes and record the transmission fluid amount
Note: Apply thread locking compound to the plug. DO NOT re-use the old plug
Install the NEW fluid drain plug (1) with thread sealing compound on the plug threads and tighten to 20 N·m (15 lb ft)
4. Lower the vehicle
5. Without disconnecting the electrical connector, unclip the engine control module with the bracket from the battery tray and hang aside
6. Remove the fluid fill plug (1).
7. Compare the amount of fluid drained to the transmission refill capacity. Fill the transmission with the appropriate amount of fluid.
8. Install the fluid fill plug (1) and tighten to 30 N·m (22 lb ft)

Fluid Capacity Total - 2 qts
Fluid Capacity Refill - 1.4 qts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I wonder why it says to remove/discard the drain plugs. They seemed to be fine for re-use when I took mine out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They are lightweight stretch to yield bolts (good for one tq, lucky to get a good tq twice). Basically they will not tq properly the 2nd time and can break! Its the new thing in saving weight, just went threw tq training at work for this, very scary as they are starting to use these type bolts in critical steering areas.
This is an extreme situations that clearly has been over-tq'd or tq'd too many times! Just an FYI for you guys!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yaaa I knew about torque to yield bolts and stuff I'm a truck and coach tech lot of are stuff like that to but never heard Anything about drain plugs and stuff well that interesting but thanks for the info man

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Those plugs are in there with about zero torque, and haven't leaked since I removed/reinstalled them 18k miles ago.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yaaa most of the time it's Gona be fine but their prob Like 2% chance it can fail but if u don't over torque your fine

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those plugs are in there with about zero torque, and haven't leaked since I removed/reinstalled them 18k miles ago.
Those plugs are tq'd to 9 NM of Dynamic Tq with a run down speed of less than 275 rpm. Static tq is more. 90% of the time your good but there is a 10% failure\fatigue rate on fasteners of this type after retq. Tq to yield has been around for a while no doubt but the fasteners car manufactures are phasing in are as lightweight as possible (yes they worry about weight on bolts). I have seen 5#'s taken off a new production year vehicle just from this alone!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but the tranny is still a M32 tranny right?

·
Registered
689 Posts
hey guy i was gona do my oil change on my 2012 cruze lt 1.4t 6 speed manual and the tranny didn't have a level plug only fill and drain how do u check then does anyone have this ????

Is there a reason why you were changing the tranny fluid?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
notchy shifting throught gears

1 - 12 of 12 Posts