I figured I'd transfer my build log over here just in case it can help someone out. I've accumulated just about everything I need to "finish" the build and now begins the process of getting it into the car and making it look decent. This is going to be my first real build, I've installed decks, amps, and speakers before, but that was 20 years ago and in factory locations. The build will be all over the place and I'm going to end up having to pull panels two and three times since I am doing this in my free time and need to leave the garage open for the boss lady to park overnight.
This build is going to be done in three stages, as funds allow.
Stage 1 - Get the stereo up and rolling. I had a couple of circa 1999 Fosgate amps running some Infinity Kappa Perfects and they decided to just stop working, so I have been without a radio for close to 5 months now.
Stage 2 - Sound deaden everything. I know this should probably be done first, but see stage 1. I bought a box of CLD tiles to do the trunk and will get to the rest of the car as soon as possible.
Stage 3 - Upgrade the stuff I installed in the beginning. I'm old enough to know being happy with what was installed to begin with is a farce. I already know I want new subs and a better DSP, but I don't have the $1,200-$1,300 to do that right now. Also, see stage 1.
Here is the list of what is going into the car to start.
(2) Zapco ST-4X II
Dayton Audio DSP-408 (with new remote and Bluetooth module)
Peerless BC25 SC06
Dayton Audio RS75
Silver Flute W17RC38
(2) Dayton Audio Ultimax 8"
I am awful at taking pictures along the way, but will do my best to get some shots that are worthwhile.
I will be running the left channel off one amp, tweeter, midrange, and bridged midbass, and the right off the other amp.
I used XT60 connectors for all of the speakers in the hopes of making future removal a little easier.
The mids are mounted in a 3D printed pod I designed, but have since decided to take the plunge and try my hand at fiberglassing and integral pillar pod.
The tweeters are being mounted in sail panel pods I found for a couple of dollars shipped from China. They received an inline capacitor to help protect them as best as possible.
After that was wrapped up I moved on to getting the wires run. I bought the new DSP remote and designed and printed a remote mount to fit into my coin holder. It doesn't look like much, but it is a perfect compression fit so I can return it to stock with zero issues. There is a slight possibility of me lowering the mount a little bit to make it more flush, but since I printed this my printer took a crap and I am waiting on parts from China to fix it.
I then tore apart my dash and installed the LC2i to give the DSP a fighting chance to get a clean signal. I am running coaxial RCAs to the trunk and into the DSP.
On to the next post.