Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

My "budget" SQesque build in my '12 Cruze

2421 Views 25 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Blasirl
I figured I'd transfer my build log over here just in case it can help someone out. I've accumulated just about everything I need to "finish" the build and now begins the process of getting it into the car and making it look decent. This is going to be my first real build, I've installed decks, amps, and speakers before, but that was 20 years ago and in factory locations. The build will be all over the place and I'm going to end up having to pull panels two and three times since I am doing this in my free time and need to leave the garage open for the boss lady to park overnight.

This build is going to be done in three stages, as funds allow.
Stage 1 - Get the stereo up and rolling. I had a couple of circa 1999 Fosgate amps running some Infinity Kappa Perfects and they decided to just stop working, so I have been without a radio for close to 5 months now.
Stage 2 - Sound deaden everything. I know this should probably be done first, but see stage 1. I bought a box of CLD tiles to do the trunk and will get to the rest of the car as soon as possible.
Stage 3 - Upgrade the stuff I installed in the beginning. I'm old enough to know being happy with what was installed to begin with is a farce. I already know I want new subs and a better DSP, but I don't have the $1,200-$1,300 to do that right now. Also, see stage 1.

Here is the list of what is going into the car to start.
(2) Zapco ST-4X II
Zapco ST-1000XMII
Dayton Audio DSP-408 (with new remote and Bluetooth module)
AudioControl LC2i
Peerless BC25 SC06
Dayton Audio RS75
Silver Flute W17RC38
(2) Dayton Audio Ultimax 8"

I am awful at taking pictures along the way, but will do my best to get some shots that are worthwhile.

I will be running the left channel off one amp, tweeter, midrange, and bridged midbass, and the right off the other amp.
Camera accessory Musical instrument accessory Camera lens Gadget Audio equipment

I used XT60 connectors for all of the speakers in the hopes of making future removal a little easier.
Automotive tire Tire Table Electrical wiring Tread

The mids are mounted in a 3D printed pod I designed, but have since decided to take the plunge and try my hand at fiberglassing and integral pillar pod.
Watch Wood Finger Automotive tire Camera lens

The tweeters are being mounted in sail panel pods I found for a couple of dollars shipped from China. They received an inline capacitor to help protect them as best as possible.
Wire stripper Wood Gas Electrical wiring Tool

After that was wrapped up I moved on to getting the wires run. I bought the new DSP remote and designed and printed a remote mount to fit into my coin holder. It doesn't look like much, but it is a perfect compression fit so I can return it to stock with zero issues. There is a slight possibility of me lowering the mount a little bit to make it more flush, but since I printed this my printer took a crap and I am waiting on parts from China to fix it.
Car Automotive design Steering part Steering wheel Motor vehicle

Gear shift Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle

I then tore apart my dash and installed the LC2i to give the DSP a fighting chance to get a clean signal. I am running coaxial RCAs to the trunk and into the DSP.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Steering wheel

Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering part

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Grey

On to the next post.
Reactions: Blasirl
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
For those following along, this SOB is ready for tuning...or upgrades. I really hate the sound of these tweeters and the subs were already on the chopping block. I'm going to finish up the tuning to see if that makes a big enough difference to warrant hanging on to the components a little longer, but only time will tell. I really should be building the beauty panels, but if stuff is going to be changed I am going to hold off on those, for now.

Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

Rectangle Audio equipment Font Electronic device Electric blue

· Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
557 Posts
right on, makes me wanna put my sub in my car. this time around im going to rout the power wires through the shift cable grommet, throught the center console, and under the rear carpet.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
View attachment 296541
Sorry the hammer detail made me lough:D
When in doubt beat it into place. Honestly, I can't remember why I used the hammer.

right on, makes me wanna put my sub in my car. this time around im going to rout the power wires through the shift cable grommet, throught the center console, and under the rear carpet.
Surprisingly enough the three 12 gauge wires fit through the plastic channel perfectly and the power wire ran next to it just fine. If I were to run anything through the center of the car it would be the DSP remote, sub amp remote, and the RCA cables. That way you would be able to isolate absolutely everything from potential noise, even though the DSP and amp are phone cables and don't have noise issues.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I only commute to work a couple of times a week so I haven't used the system as much as I would like but it has been used. After a couple of spirited bass-heavy songs, one of the subs gave out so I decided to make my first change. In comes the SI SQL12 in a 1 cu ft sealed enclosure. This sub is incredible. Admittedly I've never owned something this nice and realize there are better bubs out there but it does exactly what I have been looking for.

My next step is to track down and correct as many of the rattles as possible. I was out by my trunk after install and it sounded like the gas tank was rattling. Once that is complete I will go back and lock in my tune a little bit more.

Kitchen appliance Gas Small appliance Machine Home appliance

Automotive tire Gas Audio equipment Sound box Loudspeaker

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,174 Posts
I only commute to work a couple of times a week so I haven't used the system as much as I would like but it has been used. After a couple of spirited bass-heavy songs, one of the subs gave out so I decided to make my first change. In comes the SI SQL12 in a 1 cu ft sealed enclosure. This sub is incredible. Admittedly I've never owned something this nice and realize there are better bubs out there but it does exactly what I have been looking for.

My next step is to track down and correct as many of the rattles as possible. I was out by my trunk after install and it sounded like the gas tank was rattling. Once that is complete I will go back and lock in my tune a little bit more.

View attachment 298958

View attachment 298959
The SQ Car Audio Thread V2
Mylink 2.0 Alternative and aftermarket hands free microphone adapter

21 - 26 of 26 Posts