Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just dropped my car off [2014 Cruze LT] for the 3rd clutch spring (and other associated parts) to be replaced.

The last one snapped in the parking lot of the dealer when I went to pick the car up.

They replaced the first spring under bumper to bumper.

The last time they charged me for a spring retainer, but did all the labor for free.

Not sure what will happen this time. I'm hoping they can get GM to foot the bill for the whole pedal assembly to be replaced, but I doubt that will happen.

My best guess is they will offer to replace it if I pay for the parts and they will eat the labor.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If I remember correctly there's a service campaign talking specifically about the clutch pedal in the Cruze. The replacement pedal is slightly thicker and has thicker springs. What I don't know is what model years it applied to.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I remember correctly there's a service campaign talking specifically about the clutch pedal in the Cruze. The replacement pedal is slightly thicker and has thicker springs. What I don't know is what model years it applied to.
If anyone knows about this please let me know. I will be looking as well.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Mine broke too. It used to stick, then one day there was a loud twang, and then yep, useless.

I think the service campaign was the accelerator pedal breaking. I personally haven't seen one for the clutch.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine annoys me because you have to sometimes pull up on the clutch to set the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back to the dealer again... nothing like driving 60 miles shifting with no clutch. GRRRR!!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... and now they say I need a whole new clutch lever... at nearly $400.

Keep in mind, they repaired it 4 days ago!!!!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
... and now they say I need a whole new clutch lever... at nearly $400.

Keep in mind, they repaired it 4 days ago!!!!
Time to get GM involved. This dealership didn't properly diagnose the problem the first time and should at a minimum, eat the cost of the first repair.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
According to the dealer they called and already denied warranty on it.

Of course I called myself and filed a complaint. They are supposed to call me, but who knows when that will happen.

They are supposed to have my car done today, I'd love to see what type of warranty the new clutch lever comes with.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts

Of course I called myself and filed a complaint. They are supposed to call me, but who knows when that will happen.

They are supposed to have my car done today, I'd love to see what type of warranty the new clutch lever comes with.
12 mo/12000

Ugh.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

You missed my point - the dealership screwed up the first diagnosis and repair - they should reduce the cost of that service by what you paid four days ago. Call GM to get this done since the first repair was also a 12 month/12,000 miles warranty.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually haven't paid anything yet. They original clutch repair (spring) was done under bumper to bumper. The last two failed attempts (spring, retainer, clutch position sensor) were done under the 12/12000. They however refused to pay for the whole clutch assembly.

So, they did 'do me a favor' although I did pay for the retainer. I would have probably been ok with paying parts and no labor this time but they are nailing me for the full amount.

Shitty part is we were talking about leasing a truck from them... this may sway me to not do it.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I actually haven't paid anything yet. They original clutch repair (spring) was done under bumper to bumper. The last two failed attempts (spring, retainer, clutch position sensor) were done under the 12/12000. They however refused to pay for the whole clutch assembly.

So, they did 'do me a favor' although I did pay for the retainer. I would have probably been ok with paying parts and no labor this time but they are nailing me for the full amount.

Shitty part is we were talking about leasing a truck from them... this may sway me to not do it.
For $400 and this thread this sounds like just the clutch pedal - if you're still under B2B it's still B2B. You may need to get a lawyer involved. A cheaper option would be to let the local media's troubleshooters know about this dealership refusing to cover a warranty repair.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, they fixed my car yesterday afternoon (I was spying on the car) and they have yet to call me and tell me that it is done. I stopped after hours and sure enough it has a brand new clutch pedal.

I have no clue why they haven't told me it is done! I'm not about to call them though since I have a nearly brand new Z71 loaner.

I called GM customer care and got the VM of a senior advisor. I can't believe how long it is taking GM to get back with me.

So nice being in the dark.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My dealer finally called me... let me know my car was done. They are waiting on the complaint resolution. Told me to keep the loaner until I hear back.

That is pretty cool of them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And... the final resolution and facebook rant:

So, what I learned about GM Warranties today... so other may glean from my knowledge.

Any repair done to your vehicle that you pay for has an automatic 12 month/12,000 warranty.

However, any repair done to your vehicle at no cost under the bumper to bumper (B2B) warranty is only warrantied until your B2B expires. So (in my case) even if they worked on my clutch pedal at 35,750 miles that parts warranty expires at 36,000 miles.

Clearly, my dealer wasn't even aware of this, because they worked on the clutch pedal 2 more times after the B2B expired for free. The last time being 1/18/18... exactly 3 days before it completely failed and had to be replaced at my cost.

... and to think my girl and I were very much considering leasing a new GM truck.

As a matter of full disclosure, they did end up offering me a $100 service voucher... so my new clutch pedal (YES JUST THE F'ING PEDAL) only cost me $283. [My local dealer also knocked off $30 because I asked of they would help at all since a lot of the cost was labor.]

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
And... the final resolution and facebook rant:

So, what I learned about GM Warranties today... so other may glean from my knowledge.

Any repair done to your vehicle that you pay for has an automatic 12 month/12,000 warranty.

However, any repair done to your vehicle at no cost under the bumper to bumper (B2B) warranty is only warrantied until your B2B expires. So (in my case) even if they worked on my clutch pedal at 35,750 miles that parts warranty expires at 36,000 miles.

Clearly, my dealer wasn't even aware of this, because they worked on the clutch pedal 2 more times after the B2B expired for free. The last time being 1/18/18... exactly 3 days before it completely failed and had to be replaced at my cost.

... and to think my girl and I were very much considering leasing a new GM truck.

As a matter of full disclosure, they did end up offering me a $100 service voucher... so my new clutch pedal (YES JUST THE F'ING PEDAL) only cost me $283. [My local dealer also knocked off $30 because I asked of they would help at all since a lot of the cost was labor.]
It sounds like your dealership did try to go to bat for you but ran up against GM's warranty team. GM's not the only car company that puts a hard limit on warranties. However, in this case since the first reported instance and attempted repair occurred prior to the end of B2B I would hope that someone in GM would stand up and say "this problem started before the B2B ran out and it took some time to properly diagnose and fix it - extend the warranty for this repair." Unfortunately to get to someone in GM who is willing to make that decision will cost you a lot more than the actual repair bill.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It sounds like your dealership did try to go to bat for you but ran up against GM's warranty team. GM's not the only car company that puts a hard limit on warranties. However, in this case since the first reported instance and attempted repair occurred prior to the end of B2B I would hope that someone in GM would stand up and say "this problem started before the B2B ran out and it took some time to properly diagnose and fix it - extend the warranty for this repair." Unfortunately to get to someone in GM who is willing to make that decision will cost you a lot more than the actual repair bill.
I completely agree with everything you said. I finally got ahold of a few friends that work at GM and they gave me the 'real' number to call when you have problems... but by then it was too late. I should have held out a little longer before accepting the $100.

Live and learn I guess. I just hope the new pedal lasts longer than the first one. I know one thing, if the spring fails I'm not fixing it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts