Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

My cruze 1.4t's motor's motto is the song "wiggle" by Jason Derulo

1220 5
I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco 41K ish miles Trifecta tuned (the middle one, advantage? I can never remember). It's had the valve cover replaced, my spark plugs are gapped to .028 and it shakes kind of a lot, I think. I took a video. I do apologize for the relatively bad quality, I just took it with my phone. Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6pykW8lzdE. I have the intake resonator deleted, secondary cat gutted, DDMWorks Short Shifter, and a muffler delete. I also have stiffedned the motor mount with window-weld. (The mount wasn't bad, but, stiffer is better, right?) I'm really curious as to if this is normal or not. I've read that 4cyls can be a little shakey. I've only owned 6cyl cars (e34 bmw with LOTS of mods and a 2002 VW Jetta vr6). I'm sure there are a few other mods, but, that's most of them. I haven't done any electrical upgrades, however, I do have two LED strips on the inside of the car in my footwells (one for driver and one for passenger). Thanks for the help! I kinda hope this is normal for this motor, I also do need to datalog for trifecta, but, it idled rough before I trifecta tuned it, too.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
990 Posts
Did you only do one mount? When doing mounts it's best to use polyurathane sealant over the window weld that stuff is just too solid

Idling fine too me IMO

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,867 Posts
It's a very small engine (typically a bit difficult to balance) with a low idle...normal for it to shake a little bit, but yours seems to be doing it a bit more than mine does.

Inline 4 cylinders are inherently a bit thrashy since they have a power stroke every 180 degrees of crankshaft revolution (more cylinders like a 6/8 = multiple power strokes going on at the same time = smoother running engines...and usually more torque/power). In a 4-cylinder, you'll always have 2 cylinders moving together, but only one power stroke at once, which creates a bit of rocking.

The stock motor mounts have a fair bit of flex in them to isolate vibrations and noise from the cabin (you may have ruined this a bit by filling the motor mount - though I am sure it improves how the car feels in between shifts/stabs at the throttle). I think it is well-isolated for an engine of its size at moderate RPM, but it is pretty loud at high RPM, and I find that the idle can be a little shaky if the car has a load on it at idle, like if the AC/rear defroster is on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.