Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been looking in here for a couple years. In Feb. 18 we bought a '18 hatch diesel manual in White. 11,800 miles, and car has been great so far.... Today I shut it off at the fuel station, and when I restarted it, I lost steering assist with the message in the DIC. Took it to dealer and they say no active codes after a restart. (I never shut it off, took straight to dealer). We will see if it (the problem) comes back, and if it does, I have a history started with the dealer. At least this car is easily steerable without assist. My last car was a'15 SS, and though I had no steering failure, I heard they were very hard to steer without the EPS.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Well, I have been looking in here for a couple years. In Feb. 18 we bought a '18 hatch diesel manual in White. 11,800 miles, and car has been great so far.... Today I shut it off at the fuel station, and when I restarted it, I lost steering assist with the message in the DIC. Took it to dealer and they say no active codes after a restart. (I never shut it off, took straight to dealer). We will see if it (the problem) comes back, and if it does, I have a history started with the dealer. At least this car is easily steerable without assist. My last car was a'15 SS, and though I had no steering failure, I heard they were very hard to steer without the EPS.
Sorry that happened. Do you have Onstar, they could have also looked into your problem although you did the right thing going to the dealer. What did the message say? On my 2nd day with the new 2014 CRUZE I got a message, "WARNING engine failure, turn off immediately" and the door chimes, it almost blew my mind. Onstar couldn't find a problem and told me it should be safe to proceed. Took it to the Dealer and they found and fixed the faulty Oil sensor problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not subscribed to Onstar. It just said "Steering assist is reduced. Drive with care". Kind of comical that it didn't say take to dealer. It felt like to me that there was probably no assist happening.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Drive with Care:valantines::storm:
I guess the ad assumes everybody in India understands English or they have a very targeted audience. Heading back that way in March.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Was there anything odd about where the front wheels were parked? I'd imagine that the steering assist has some kind of self-test that it runs. I'm not sure what that is. But if the car was parked in such a way that something was trying to cause the front wheels to turn (steering, not rotation), I could see it causing the self-test to fail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, car was on flat pavement in a parking lot. I always wait for the needle sweep to finish before attempting to move. The steering self check is probably faster than that process. Hopefully this was just a module boot error. When I shut it off after the initial fail, I don't think I waited long enough before restarting. When the dealer shut it off, it was about 5 minutes, and then the issue disappeared.

Time will tell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts