Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

My Cruze is smoking from the exhaust.

72326 40
As you've seen in the title, my cruze is blowing a ton of smoke. It is a 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco 6mt 1.4t with 49K on the clock. It has a catless exhaust, trifecta tune, and a rear muffler delete. Under acceleration there is a nice long plume of smoke coming out of the exhaust. I will post a video so you guys have a better idea of what color it is and maybe I can figure out what is going on. Taking it to the dealership is almost not an option since I don't really have a local one, and, the two that are relatively close are absolutely horrible. I don't think it's oil. I used to drive the car really hard, but, only after it was warmed up. I bought the car used with 28K on the clock. I don't really drive it hard anymore. It doesn't blow smoke on high revs in first gear. Only a tad in second gear. But, in sixth gear the car smokes like crazy. I haven't examined all of the gears, but, it seems at highway speeds the car smokes more, not necessarily related to rpms. I will try and post a video of the smoke soon. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll be monitoring this thread closely. I'm fairly sure it's not piston rings as I ran a compression test last week and it checked out. ~190 on all 4 cylinders. I have a boost gauge and it seems to build a ton of boost really fast in sixth gear on the highway. Could this just be something simple or a turbo or a seal somewhere? Thanks!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Banned
631 Posts
Would help even more if you could tell us what it smells like.

Head gasket leak can cause a white plume and it will smell sweet....and oil is more of a bluish white and I'm sure you know what that smells like.

THat could be rings, valve stem seals...turbo seals..

Though to many people white is white...and they can't differentiate.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm one of the people having trouble differentiating. I have a hard time trying to smell it since it only happens when I'm in gear, seemingly. I've tried sitting and holding revs and no visible smoke seems to come from the car when I do that.

· Banned
631 Posts
If you pull over immediately after its doing it the odor should still be lingering with the car running...just don't spend 10 minutes snorting exhaust fumes if you get my drift. You should notice the smell in the first snort or two.

You will eventually either see your oil level dropping or your coolant level dropping....the denser the cloud the faster one will drop.

I'm betting it may be the turbo seals...since you aren't really under much boost without a real load on it.

If the compressor side was leaking you will have a lot of oil in the inter cooler lines....but if its the turbine side its going straight into the exhaust.

Right after its been doing it.run a finger around the inside of the tailpipe. Greasy or wet feeling? smell that residue as well. Should give you a hint by smell.

PS. Do that on a cold engine and its going to be wet until its been hot enough long enough to dry out so do that after you've been driving a while..

· Premium Member
7,356 Posts
I'd say the smoke has to be coming from somewhere. What fluid are you loosing? Oil? Water? Horrid gas mileage?

It sounds like it's smoking on boost.

If you're going to dig into this on your own, keep in mind that a number of engine bolts are "torque to yield" - aka "singe use" and have to be replaced, not reused.

· Premium Member
7,356 Posts
Are there any simple stupid things this could be?
Not really. The only things I can think of fall under "replace manifold/turbo assembly" - or worse. Fortunately, they fall under 5yr/100K power train warranty.

Something PCV related?
Of the valve dies, you usually have bad idle. And you have to replace the valve cover. The other components are part of the manifold.

· Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Just to add one to the two other smoke colours already mentioned; black smoke is too much gas (rich).

I'm guessing that with all the mods you've made somethings gone out of whack. This will be a real learning experience. Keep us informed.

· Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Plus, get yourself a vacuum gauge and run a test. Vacuum gauge is the single most important old-school diagnostic tool you can have.

Reactions: cruzinred92

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll pick up a vacuum gauge. It smells like normal burning does. The products of combustion are carbon dioxide, water, and some excess carbon. It just smells like excess carbon to me. I have a boost gauge installed in the car. It also measures vacuum. Could it be just because I'm catless that it smokes?

· Banned
631 Posts
Shouldn't smoke at all. Cat or no cat. I've owned plenty of cars with NO emissions equipment and none smoked until they were wore out or somethiing was wrong.

Soot in the pipe....Ehh... even my Honda with a working cat that never failed an emissions test has SOME soot in the tailpipe.

· Banned
631 Posts
Actually visible smoke is grounds for an automatic failure....if it passes emissions or not. And even get a ticket on emissions exempt vehicles though I doubt that happens often. In the States and countries I've lived anyway.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know a little visible smoke is normal for right now since it's in the 40F -60F range. It doesn't do it at idle and my compression tests are good. The car pulls really strong, so, I was thinking turbo. However, I read somewhere that there is a valve in the top of the intake manifold that can go bad. I'm going to try flashing the stock tune and see if that gives me the same smoke as before. jblacburn, which hose is that? Do you mean the cold side charge tube? That's on my list of things to check as soon as I get out of bed.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.