Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally found some time to gather my fuel receipts and put together a fuelly account and have decided to share it with the community just as proof to show everyone what we allready know and that is the potential fuel effiencey these Chevy Cruze Eco's really have.

So my driving habits are as follows. I average 375 miles per day 5 days a week. I average 60mph and 95% of my route is freeway. My Cruze is an Eco 6spd MT with 15k miles. My tires are goodyear fuel max with 38 cold psi and 44 warm.

Cruze Eco 6 MT (Chevrolet Cruze) | Fuelly

I recently switched to Conoco-Phillips (top tier) 87 pure from Chevron 87 ethanol and noticed an increase in efficency obviously. Unfortunately the station I fill up at doesnt offer any octane higher then 87. I will be looking for a new top tier station offering pure gas with higher octanes in the near future. I have read in the summer heat the cruze turbos need 91 to sustain efficiency.

One last note id like to make and that is my daily struggle with my enemy when im out on the road and im talking about WIND. It doesnt matter if its from the air your pushing at 60mph or the extra 10-15mph wind speeds from a breezy day WIND is always going to be in our way. Yes the chevy cruze is extremely areodynamic but its not enough to reach those maximum potential effeciency. What I have started to do the past week and its nothing new I have started getting behind semi trucks being safe and smart about it by keeping plenty of distant between us im talking 5-10 car lengths at least just enough to make a difference by allowing the truck in front of me to breakup the air. This allows me to drive at 60 mph stay in the slow lane and not have other drivers upset about having to pass me because they are used to having to pass semi's.

So thats really about it I drive alot, fill up everyday, im very conservative and have great results.

·
Administrator
15,848 Posts
Nice! Thanks for sharing this information. You've successfully exceed what even the Prius is rated for. I'm looking forward to seeing your results when you move up to a higher octane fuel.

Do you have any results from when you inflated your tires, or have they always been at that pressure? Have you tried going any higher? Not suggesting anything here, just curious.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Do you have any results from when you inflated your tires, or have they always been at that pressure? Have you tried going any higher? Not suggesting anything here, just curious.
The past two weeks worth of daily reports are with my tires at 38 psi cold. Yes I have entertained the idea of increasing the psi I mean im on the road all day im constantly thinking of ideas to increase efficiency. But like others I am skeptical of any cold psi above 45 for reasons im sure everyone is aware of. I do have plans to increase my psi in the near future im curious to know if I will experience enough of an increase in mpg to make it worth the added risks of being 10psi above reccomended specs. So if i dont see a substantial increase in efficiency im talkin a 4-5 mpg increase I will stay in my comfort zone for psi which is between 37-39 cold because in hot weather I know they will be in the mid to upper 40's.
But yeah I dont want to get into the tire psi debate but its definetly something thats always on my mind.

·
Administrator
15,848 Posts
The past two weeks worth of daily reports are with my tires at 38 psi cold. Yes I have entertained the idea of increasing the psi I mean im on the road all day im constantly thinking of ideas to increase efficiency. But like others I am skeptical of any cold psi above 45 for reasons im sure everyone is aware of. I do have plans to increase my psi in the near future im curious to know if I will experience enough of an increase in mpg to make it worth the added risks of being 10psi above reccomended specs. So if i dont see a substantial increase in efficiency im talkin a 4-5 mpg increase I will stay in my comfort zone for psi which is between 37-39 cold because in hot weather I know they will be in the mid to upper 40's
There aren't any risks to increasing even up to the maximum sidewall pressure. That pressure is a cold pressure and is 100% safe to use. Not only is hydroplaning resistance improved, but stopping distance remains unaltered. Tire wear is improved both with regard to life and with regard to uniformity. The only real downside is the ride stiffness when going over small bumps.

So far, people have recorded a 4mpg increase going from 35psi to near the sidewall maximum.

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Outstanding.

Is your commute on flat ground? I have a hill in each direction (river valley) on mine that won't allow me to stay in 6th even at 65.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
So how does it feel to have the highest mpg avg Cruze on Fuelly?
Here's the highest 2012 Cruze I can find on Fuelly (51.9 MPG). 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco 6MT (Chevrolet Cruze) | Fuelly. I'd really like to know how this Cruze is being driven. Lynreyn also has a 95 Neon getting 39.3 mpg. Both OP and lynreyn are so high that fuelly doesn't even chart them on their "2012 Cruze chart".

On a side note - it is really nice to see the ECO MT achieving results that are so high that the majority of prius drivers are being challenged.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a really good feeling about being able to increase my average over the next couple weeks.

Just a note about my change in driving behavoir. Instead of driving the posted freeway speed of 75mph I have kept my speed to approx 62 mph on the freeway for the past week and it shows on my fuelly report. By getting behind a semi truck and keeping a *very safe distance* I dont really create as big of a hazard because semis are restricted to 65mph anyways on this stretch of open freeway here in Idaho and people are used to having to pass them. What I dont do is drive 62mph on an open stretch of freeway all by myself because people having to pass me at 75 mph creates a dangerous situation.

So this little change I feel is going to keep my daily average above 50mpg which im very proud of and has always been my goal since I purchased the car almost 3 months ago. You know with the right driving habits, a bit of practice and some good common sense these chevy cruzes can go along way towards saving anyone on expensive gas purchases.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Must be nice to have commutes that allow that kind of mileage. But I'm happy with the 41-42 I'm getting so far. I'm sure it'll increase a little as the temps warm up and the car breaks in more though. Still under 1500 miles here.

·
Registered
703 Posts
So if i dont see a substantial increase in efficiency im talkin a 4-5 mpg increase I will stay in my comfort zone for psi which is between 37-39 cold because in hot weather I know they will be in the mid to upper 40's.
But yeah I dont want to get into the tire psi debate but its definetly something thats always on my mind.
Too late, you're already in it.

I run 44 in my LS. On Saturday, when the ambient temp was well north of 100F, I took her on a 55-mile highway jaunt. PSI never went over 50 hot.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Administrator
15,848 Posts
Too late, you're already in it.

I run 44 in my LS. On Saturday, when the ambient temp was well north of 100F, I took her on a 55-mile highway jaunt. PSI never went over 50 hot.
It's worth noting to everyone else, as you've demonstrated, that the sidewalls of the tires will get much, much hotter due to rolling resistance when the tires are at the factory recommended pressure than at higher pressures. This will gradually shorten the life of the tire by causing irreversible heat-induced tire degradation, which can eventually lead to a blowout.

At 50psi cold, I see a variation of no more than 3psi on the front tires and 2psi on the rear tires of my Cruze Eco. Granted, those are already "low rolling resistance" tires, so I'm sure this only makes them glide even better. I have a thread in this fuel economy section of the forum where I've started measuring tread depth on all 4 tires with consistent 3,500 mile tire rotations to track both overall tire wear, and wear uniformity.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
What I dont do is drive 62mph on an open stretch of freeway all by myself because people having to pass me at 75 mph creates a dangerous situation.
You can get away with 65 mph in the 75 mph zone. Just stay right and they will go around you. No danger for you at all, trust me. Dangerous would be doing that speed in the left lane

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
On a two lane interstate like 95 through South Carolina, under the 70 mph speed limit makes you a hazard.
I find that extremely hard to believe. You don't HAVE to drive the speed limit. And Its not even illegal in most states until you are 10+ mph under the limit. Just because everyone else drives like an idiot doesnt mean you have to. They've done traffic studies on this, which is why Texas' 85 mph speed limit hike faced opposition. 90% of motorists refuse to drive faster than 80 mph on the highway, regardless of the speed limit. People just arent comfortable doing that. So if your going 65 mph and most people are doing 10 more than that you are hardly a hazard. They just go around you.

And yeah, I live on the east coast and put up with the bullshit of the NJ Turnpike, where people race Audis because cops don't pull anyone over under 80. Speed limits really don't matter that much anywhere. People drive how they want.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
On a two lane interstate like 95 through South Carolina, under the 70 mph speed limit makes you a hazard.
And on many other two lane urban interstates throughout the country. Sometimes I feel that driving the posted speed limit in the right lane on C-470 around Denver makes me a road hazard.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Must be nice to have commutes that allow that kind of mileage. But I'm happy with the 41-42 I'm getting so far. I'm sure it'll increase a little as the temps warm up and the car breaks in more though. Still under 1500 miles here.
Have faith your cruze will come around. I started out at about the same mpg the first couple thousand miles but this was in Idaho winter weather. Now that my chevy is at 15k miles and spring has arrived my eco is really starting to cruze litterally.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.