Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally found some time to gather my fuel receipts and put together a fuelly account and have decided to share it with the community just as proof to show everyone what we allready know and that is the potential fuel effiencey these Chevy Cruze Eco's really have.

So my driving habits are as follows. I average 375 miles per day 5 days a week. I average 60mph and 95% of my route is freeway. My Cruze is an Eco 6spd MT with 15k miles. My tires are goodyear fuel max with 38 cold psi and 44 warm.

Cruze Eco 6 MT (Chevrolet Cruze) | Fuelly

I recently switched to Conoco-Phillips (top tier) 87 pure from Chevron 87 ethanol and noticed an increase in efficency obviously. Unfortunately the station I fill up at doesnt offer any octane higher then 87. I will be looking for a new top tier station offering pure gas with higher octanes in the near future. I have read in the summer heat the cruze turbos need 91 to sustain efficiency.

One last note id like to make and that is my daily struggle with my enemy when im out on the road and im talking about WIND. It doesnt matter if its from the air your pushing at 60mph or the extra 10-15mph wind speeds from a breezy day WIND is always going to be in our way. Yes the chevy cruze is extremely areodynamic but its not enough to reach those maximum potential effeciency. What I have started to do the past week and its nothing new I have started getting behind semi trucks being safe and smart about it by keeping plenty of distant between us im talking 5-10 car lengths at least just enough to make a difference by allowing the truck in front of me to breakup the air. This allows me to drive at 60 mph stay in the slow lane and not have other drivers upset about having to pass me because they are used to having to pass semi's.

So thats really about it I drive alot, fill up everyday, im very conservative and have great results.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Do you have any results from when you inflated your tires, or have they always been at that pressure? Have you tried going any higher? Not suggesting anything here, just curious.
The past two weeks worth of daily reports are with my tires at 38 psi cold. Yes I have entertained the idea of increasing the psi I mean im on the road all day im constantly thinking of ideas to increase efficiency. But like others I am skeptical of any cold psi above 45 for reasons im sure everyone is aware of. I do have plans to increase my psi in the near future im curious to know if I will experience enough of an increase in mpg to make it worth the added risks of being 10psi above reccomended specs. So if i dont see a substantial increase in efficiency im talkin a 4-5 mpg increase I will stay in my comfort zone for psi which is between 37-39 cold because in hot weather I know they will be in the mid to upper 40's.
But yeah I dont want to get into the tire psi debate but its definetly something thats always on my mind.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a really good feeling about being able to increase my average over the next couple weeks.

Just a note about my change in driving behavoir. Instead of driving the posted freeway speed of 75mph I have kept my speed to approx 62 mph on the freeway for the past week and it shows on my fuelly report. By getting behind a semi truck and keeping a *very safe distance* I dont really create as big of a hazard because semis are restricted to 65mph anyways on this stretch of open freeway here in Idaho and people are used to having to pass them. What I dont do is drive 62mph on an open stretch of freeway all by myself because people having to pass me at 75 mph creates a dangerous situation.

So this little change I feel is going to keep my daily average above 50mpg which im very proud of and has always been my goal since I purchased the car almost 3 months ago. You know with the right driving habits, a bit of practice and some good common sense these chevy cruzes can go along way towards saving anyone on expensive gas purchases.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Must be nice to have commutes that allow that kind of mileage. But I'm happy with the 41-42 I'm getting so far. I'm sure it'll increase a little as the temps warm up and the car breaks in more though. Still under 1500 miles here.
Have faith your cruze will come around. I started out at about the same mpg the first couple thousand miles but this was in Idaho winter weather. Now that my chevy is at 15k miles and spring has arrived my eco is really starting to cruze litterally.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
yeah my mpg avg is 49.7 it has been going up about .2 each day the past week. the past 2 weeks ive been getting 52 mpg a day. which is where i think my mpg avg is going to max out. hey 10mpg over epa im satisified : )

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
please the cruze is in a league of its own. i dont want to even compare the two vehicles the cruze is simply the most efficient all gasoline car on the market. the prius needs two engines one of which is completely electric and doesnt even use fuel to get the sort of efficiency it is known for. one of the most satisfying rewards about driving the cruze besides its incredible exterior appeal is that its manufacatured by an american corporation built right in the heart of america.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My thoughts exactly. I know of very, very few people who drive a Cruze Eco MT that don't get better fuel economy than the EPA rating.
What impresses me the most is the cruze eco mt potential for fuel efficiency. I guarentee if the people that are under the epa rating were driving their cruze at 60mph for extended periods of time with almost no stops on a fairly level surface they would be getting 50 mpg averages easy. i dunno how people are getting mid 30's mid 40's unless its mostly city driving or highway with a bunch of stops. if my terrain wasnt in the hills and mountains of idaho with a 2,500 elevation difference from where i start my route and end my route im sure i could be close to 60 mpg averages at the rate im going now. im just amazed at the potential the chevy cruze eco is providing for me.

even mid 30's to mid 40's for city driving is a fuel efficiency to be proud of. thank you chevy for making one **** of a car.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
How about a couple of days in a row, if you have the time, go 55 MPH all the way & let's see the results?
I think I have just about reached my peak average right around 52 mpg. Honestly slowing down 3-5 mph at this point isnt going to do much for me considering my limiting factor for my average mpg is the terrain I drive. It might increase my average by 1 or 2 at most. I believe I spend more fuel driving up a 2,500 ft elevation over about 15 miles then I make up coming down. I have tried just about everything to increase my mpg except using pure 91 octane fuel not only because im still a little skeptical but willing to try but because the station i fuel up at only offers 87 pure.

One last thing id like to share is my DIC usually shows my average speed right about 48 but its not really accurate because I spend hours between 58 and 61 mph. The computer just has to calculate in my time driving around town stopping at lights and city speeds which really isnt much but brings down that mph average quite a bit.

Also I dont feel safe driving at 55mph on a 75mph freeway not to mention the fact its illegal. Like I said before I try to keep a safe distance behind a semi doing 62mph. Im only on the freeway for an 1 1/2 hours of my 7 hour drive anyway the rest is pretty much open highway thats when I tend to bring it down to 58mph. I guess I could try and bring it down a little further to 55mph maybe but I still think im pretty closed to being maxxed out at 52 mpg average. I still want to test out pure 91 octane.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
91 will probably make a bigger difference as the weather gets much hotter.
Yeah its actually been in the mid 80's here in idaho the past week I think we reached 90 once or twice. Average this time of year is 65 degrees. Still was getting impressive mpg's in the hot heat. Now that I think about it I was getting my best MPG in that heat the last 2 weeks. But yeah I need to find some pure 91 octane around here and see what it can do for me.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Women use air conditoners I roll the **** window down ill sweat before i have to put an extra unncessary work load on my engine and so will my g/f. I actually was testing out the air resistance yesterday and if you put your hand and arm out the window at 60mph on a 85 degree day and a 30 degree day you can feel the difference and im not talking about the temperature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.