Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
As far as I know, no 6 cylinder engines have the A/C shut off when during hard acceleration. This feature appears to only be on 4 cylinder engines. Many 6's are just barely powerful enough for the vehicle size, so the A/C drag is really noticable.

As an aside, my Fiero 2M4 had the A/C cutoff feature in 1985.
Both the 3800 Series 1 and the 3800 Series 2 supercharged motors I've driven have this feature. It's not just a feature to save power when you need to accelerate, but also to save the compressor. I don't suspect the compressor likes spinning at whatever the pulley-adjusted speed is when the engine turns over 5000+rpm.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Cars have been disengaging the AC clutch for years under higher throttle positions. At least GM vehicles anyway. Across all engine sizes too, not just 4 cylinders.

The lack of power comes when they are gently accelerating. You're not accelerating hard enough so the AC clutch is still engaged. But you'd use even more gas to floor it just so the AC cuts off until you get off the gas.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.