My DIC mpg is over 10% High !

1874 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  DrVette
After 3875~ mi
and 8 Tanks of fuel.

My "real" mpg is 41.79 avg

The DIC indicates a 46.1 since purchase [Trip 1]

This is about 10.4% optimistic.

Real numbers range from a Hi = 44.1 to a Lo = 40.1

Considering the hilly terrain and the EPA estimates of 42 Hwy, I cannot complain.

I drive pretty conservatively and have limited the top speed to a brief shot to 88 & 100 mph in 4th for break-in [6200 rpm 4th = 100~]

Changing between "Brand" name fuels 87/89/93 Octane gives no obvious change in power or economy.
I'm sure that the higher octane would work better at sea level and 100F+ temps.

I "was" hoping the DIC would be more accurate. It makes me wonder how accurate the tire pressure sensors and the oil change indicator is ?

DrVette
aka Rusty Wrench
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
...who ya gonna believe? (said the the music, "Ghost Busters" who you gonna call)

• PRO - The "bowtie" people who claim the DIC doesn't lie.

• CON - Or, your only wallet and pencil and paper?

· Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2012 ECO MT with 7,144 miles. I have not reset the DIC #1 since new. It reports 35.7 average mpg. I have reported all fill-ups on Feully since the car was new. Feully reports 33.9 average mpg. From that I conclude that the DIC is reporting a 5% higher average mpg than Feully. I use 87 octane gas only, keep the tires inflated to 35 psi and drive like an adult about 70% city and the balance I-5. I do not plan any mods to the car as I am a firm believer in preserving its reliability. I have had no problems with the car since I bought it new almost 6 months ago. For what it purports to be, I think it is a great car and a great value - and it is enjoyable to drive.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
The DIC computes the MPG correctly from the numbers it's measuring. What it doesn't do well is measure the amount of fuel used, especially when accelerating. Cruzing uphill at a constant speed is acceleration. GM hasn't fixed this in at least 10 years.

· Registered
65 Posts
Also consider that not all fuel pumps are completely accurate. They are required to be calibrated regularly, but just this morning I saw some guy yelling at a gas station attendant, "Please explain why I put 10.75 gallons of fuel in a 10 gallon fuel can!"... Just a thought.

· Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made an error, and no one has caught it YET !

The DIC mpg is about 9% optimistic.

My "real" mpg PLUS 10.4% = the DIC mpg estimate, sorry for the confusion.

"Also consider that not all fuel pumps are completely accurate"

EXACTLY, last week I saw the Al Dept of Agriculture close down an Indian owned gas station for such.

Also, I paid for ONE gallon of gas at another station, when the dollar amount stopped, I'd only pumped 0.99 gl
Not much, but over tens of thousands of gallons, it adds up.

In the future I plan to obtain a one gallon "graduated" container and do my own testing of pump accuracy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.