Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been wanting to try this for a while now so this Monday August 5, I started hypermiling. My commute is 2.8 miles according to google.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...BhzHLjMdHENm3MA&oq=2801+s+osa&mra=ls&t=m&z=15
All this info will be DIC number until next fill up so I can get actual numbers.

I go thru 4 red lights and 1 stop sign every day it takes about 7-10 min to get to work.

Here are some pictures.

GOPR0046.jpg
100% city driving for 40 miles

GOPR0047.jpg
Miles remaining

GOPR0048.jpg
Lifetime MPG

I want your feedback please.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
I think you are on pace to set a record for hypermiling a 2.8 mile city commute . No construction zones I gather .
Cool !

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Make sure you use the appropriate gear that will get you into DFCO mode (start deceleration slightly above 1500rpm) when you are approaching stopped traffic (like a car waiting to make a left) or a red light/stop sign.

Off the top of my head, that would be 4th gear at 32mph = ~1500 rpm (Eco M/T)
I usually set my Cruise Control in town (not city) on at 32 in 4th gear because that will get it into DFCO on down slopes. 30 is the usual speed limit around town where I live.
Minimal Stops signs and red lights around where I live makes for some really good MPG in 4th Gear Cruise Control.

We should make a list of what speed is which RPM in all gears for DFCO.
Maybe someone already has it?

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you are on pace to set a record for hypermiling a 2.8 mile city commute . No construction zones I gather .
Cool !
Not trying to set a record just seeing what I can achieve.

·
Registered
35 Posts
wow nice mileage. I have a 3.5 mile commute to work in the outer part of the city and average 36mpg in the last 230 miles I have driven.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Very nice.. I can sometimes hit 45 MPG in the city depending on the time of day. I have lots of stop lights to go through before I hit the highway if I hit the timing wrong I don't stand a chance :( That's fantastic for 40 miles in city though.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea im going to try for 40 mpg in city driving but I don't see it happening. But I will try hard.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Hmm... you probably know all my tips and tricks for doing it in the city. If I see a red light up ahead I slow down really early to about 25mph and put it in neutral coasting towards the light. Usually it will turn green before I get there reducing my idle time to 0 and preventing me from speeding back up from 0. I downshift appropriately if I can't to achieve zero gas usage until I come to a full stop, I hardly ever use my brakes. In the city I don't use 4th or 5th gears and I actually accelerate at a fairly good pace because I found slow acceleration is more harmful for mileage than quick acceleration. So I get it up to 35 MPH at a decent pace and hit 6th right away. I don't mind cruising along at 35mph in 6th gear but I do have down shift if I need to accelerate at all. downshifting at 35 MPH goes directly to third gear which tosses me into the zero gas usage zone and appropriately from there. If there are any hills at all in the city I let myself fall below the speed limit and shift to fourth or fifth depending on the situation and accelerate on the way down the hill, hitting sixth at 35mph. I know it's been stated here but it's unbelievable how well the car cruises along at 1000 rpms. This is just some of the stuff that I do regularly but again you probably know all this. I am new here and very new to this car. My civic which I drove for 8 years couldn't cruise below 1600 rpms or it would be totally useless and slowing me down bogging.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Not a bad idea. Biking is more fuel efficient than driving. Not to mention way better for you ;)

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
2.8 miles. And everyone says to bike? Man i must be lazy then. I would take a helicopter if I could.

Lets see those numbers H3LL

Sent from my phone. Excuse my excellent grammar. Autoguide APP!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
2.8 miles. And everyone says to bike? Man i must be lazy then. I would take a helicopter if I could.

I walk up to a mile each way to lunch. Hypermiling in the city is a real challenge and it takes both patience and being willing to change techniques as the traffic flow changes.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
That's awesome man. Great work. Soon you'll be able to write your own "how to get better fuel economy" article. People thought I was nuts when I told them I was hitting over 42MPG with 75% city driving according to average speed, but you're right up there too.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Google maps has the bicycle route as 15 minutes. Would be a pleasant. Then again, cycling is only safe depending on the local infrastructure. It is always a great option between 1-5 miles though!
Not a bad idea. Biking is more fuel efficient than driving. Not to mention way better for you ;)
2.8 miles? Have you considered a bicycle? Sounds like that commute could wear out your car over time. You live in Texas so it probably warms up fast though.
2.8 miles? I can run that in 18 min :p

Anyways keep it up I know I can't do that any more I get too board trying to hyper mile in the city. But maybe your commute is short enough to where its possible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Its over 100 degrees the past week I will not be riding a bicycle anywhere lol.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
^ Just buy a fancy helmet with those cool zone fans on it sticking out pointing at you. You won't be hot. Being soaked is part of the fun lol

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
That's pretty impressive. I wouldn't think you would be able to travel enough distance to get the number that high.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts