Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Chevy Cruze was given to me by my grandfather for my 18th birthday in November 2021. The car has been sitting for a number of months before hand because my grandfather had a different car that he was driving instead of the Cruze, not to mention the fact that because I was living with my parents, they wouldn’t let me get my license due to differences in opinion, so the car sat even longer.(3 months) As far as I know, the car never had any problems. Only thing that I know of is the fact that the coolant lines had to be replaced after the recall went through, I common thing for 2013’s. I finally got my license in February, and I got a full-time job immediately after. That car was being driven 50 minutes on the highway everyday to work round trip. On the weekends sometimes I drive to a family‘s house, 40 minutes away or so. The car was never driven hard… until I got it. At every chance I got, I would put it into manual shift mode, and had quite the leadfoot. I had noticed over the course of me driving it, that it had this issue where when you would stop at a stoplight, the car would jolt and shake as if the engine was misfiring. It would go right back to being normal as soon as you accelerated. Another thing I noticed is that the car seemed under powered; more specifically lagging. So, I decided to do my own little tuneup. I ran seafoam to the fuel system to clean the injectors, and I replace the spark plugs. The car ran great for about two days after that, even smoother than before. Until… The car stalled out. It was unexpected. I had the car in manual mode and was accelerating in first gear up at hell quite harshly, and the car stuttered and shut off. I said they’re trying to get the cars to start for about three minutes until it finally started again. I got it home remove the spark plugs cleaned them out checked everything, and everything was OK. The car acted fine going to work the next day and back. Until I decided to go out later that evening, and on the highway the car shut off again. Not exactly the most ideal thing when you’re trying to merge onto a highway. So, I pulled my tools out and got to wrenching on the side of the highway at night. I remove the spark plugs again and reinstalled them. The car started up just fine after that. I limped it(just in case it was going to stall again) to the nearest exit and took it home. I did not drive that car for two days after that. I took a lot of the basic engine components apart including the air filter spark plugs, battery, etc. I put everything back together, but still knowing that the problem could show itself again. I took it to a dealership where they gave me a whole list of issues with the car, but said that the issue most likely is the PCV valve. So, I had it replaced. That car was in the dealership for a week, which was not ideal for me being as I was staying with my mom so I could borrow her car. Closer to the end of the week on a Thursday evening, I was let go from my job(which was my fault), so I went ahead and decided to go pick up my car that was now supposed to be fixed. I picked it up drove it hard around the dealership to make sure that it wouldn’t stall out again, and after everything seemed it was OK I took it on the highway. The car did just fine it ran just like new. It wasn’t till I got off of the highway to fill it up with a full tank of gas, and got back onto the highway that the car stalled out again. There’s a lot more to this story but I’ll simplify it and say that I ended up having to leave my car there on the safe side of the highway to be towed(I had been picked up and was not in my Cruze at this point), and while it was waiting to be towed, someone who is driving on the highway in their Honda Odyssey minivan lost consciousness and ended up rear ending my car on the side of the road along with other vehicles driving on the highway. This was devastating to me. I went from an 18-year-old kid with a stable job and income, a car, and was very close to moving into my own apartment, to having no income, no car, having to live with and off of my mom(which thank god she is so generous), and without a sense of direction in my current life. being that the car has 140,000 miles on it, I know that the insurance company isn’t going to give me a lot for it. Even with the touchscreen mylink system, Remote start, powered seats, automatic windows, and all the bells and whistle‘s, it still doesn’t do much for the value. Out of all the cars I’ve driven, I like to drive mine the most. It handled the best, it was the easiest to drive, in the most comfortable for me. Not to mention that I had sentimental attachment to the vehicle being that it was in my deceased grandmother‘s name. I even had an Instagram built around it with my friends following it. I’m really gonna miss this car. What an amazing opportunity and first vehicle. There’s a part of me that wants to buy one when I’m older and build it to be something fun. I don’t have a good resolution for this but, if you got this far thanks for reading. Feel free to ask questions for clarification.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I know this is going to sound trite but it's the truth.

You are 18-years-old. Things will get better. What you have now is not any problems that millions of other people haven't faced in their life. Times are long gone where someone turns 18, is booted out of the house, and is expected to suck it up buttercup and make it on their own. I did that because my father is a gigantic butthole that I never wanted to even breathe the same air as him, but that's a different story.

You have time to get back on your feet.

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
Sorry about what happened, but what year was that car that it had 140,000. How does losing a car change everything in your life? Most people at the age of 18 truly have no clue as to what is going to happen in their life just things that happen. Why did you lose your job over a car? As long as you can get to work and do your job, that is all that should matter to your boss!!! When I was 19 2nd 2nd semester at Xavier, I wrapped a car(1979 AMC Concord station wagon) around a highway sign fractured my skull, broke all my ribs punctured both lungs spent 3 months in hospital and told not to go back to school bc of head injury it would be too hard!! I did go back to school and became a computer geek for 30 years! So sorry about the bad luck but it will change!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I mean, I would not mention (if they ask) that your car was on the side of the road for stalling. It sucks but the Honday Odysseys insurance co should owe you payment for a new(ish) car, maybe you can get a Cruze that does not have stalling problems this time.

If you get another Cruze, mine didn't stall but (especially in 85-90 degree + weather) they do play the game of claiming 87 octane is fine, but the turbo really loves higher octane fuel, in automatic it downshfits at the point where it'd start bogging down, in manual shift instead it bogs down and you have a nice fat power bog (mainly below 2000RPM). I assume it detects some (start of) ping or knock and pulls tons of boost and possibly timing. I'm running E85 in mine... it looooves that 110 or so octane ethanol!

·
Registered
58 Posts
What a bummer of a story. At least you weren’t trying a roadside repair at the time it was hit. Good luck for the future
Check your purge valve my man. It may need replaced. Mine went bad and I had lots of issues especially after getting gas. I also run 93 octane in mine. It hates 87 even though they say it can use it. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts