Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have had zero issues with my 2014 Cruze Diesel for the first 50,000 miles.

Yesterday, at ~50,950 the streak was broken. During the final hour of a 600 mile drive, while my wife was driving the car the CEL came on. Once home, I checked it with my hand scanner and got a P21DD (Reductant Heater 1 Current Low).
Otherwise all was fine and it was driving like normal so I cleared the code and left it until morning.

This morning, I started the car to go to work and the Service Power Steering and Service Stabilitrak lights came on. Re-starting did not help and now the CEL was back too. So, I drove it to work and I phoned one of the local Chevy dealers and made and appointment for tomorrow morning. Glad I did, because on the way home after work I got a message flashing Service DEF System Now and a countdown to death flashing, 99 miles to 65 MPH. However, the Power Steering and Stabilitrak lights were off? When I got home, I rechecked the codes and I had three now! P21DD, U0101 (Lost Communication with Traction Control Module) and P20B9 (Reductant Heater Circuit 'A' Open). Not sure what happened with the Power Steering and Stabilitrak? Maybe it didn't like me unplugging my Ultra Gauge and plugging in my scan tool and plugging back in the Ultra Gauge?

The car is now at the dealer and waiting to be looked at, they know about the Bulletin #29400 for the DEF Heater extended warranty and they said they will be completing the outstanding recall as well. I just hope that this will all be taken care of without cost to me.

The countdown to death is enough to make me start reconsidering the delete again. Had that happened a few hours earlier yesterday, my wife would have been stranded in the middle of nowhere with the car in limp mode. Not acceptable as far as I am concerned!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Could be the battery going bad or the negative battery terminal issue that is covered under special policy. That is an impressive streak. I can't say anything near the same.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be the battery going bad or the negative battery terminal issue that is covered under special policy. That is an impressive streak. I can't say anything near the same.
I was thinking about that negative battery cable issue possibly, but the timing with what I believe is a genuine DEF Heater failure seemed suspicious? I do still have the original battery, which is lucky from what I have read as they don't last long either. I have not had any starting issues, only cold days in the winter it struggles a bit.

I should hear back from the dealer today about what they find.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Most likely a coincidence, if that is the original battery thats what I would be looking at. I already had mine changed, after only 2 years and like 15,000mi. I also had my DEF tank done, had the same issue as you.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although your OBD devices could have also been an issue.
That's what I was thinking, I was switching back and forth a couple times between my two devices, it must not have liked that.

Anyways, the dealer phoned this morning and said they need to replace the DEF tank and will complete the emissions recall work. Never said anything about the U0101 TCM communications lost code. Maybe it had cleared by the time I got to the dealer or is no longer active? Good news is, it looks like this will all be fixed at no cost to me.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The com code isn't a big deal, they show up all the time, and it happens when disconnecting and connecting things. Everything should be dandy when you get the car back.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mine has those same heater codes in it all the time, it won't set the CEL for it.

If you haven't had the negative battery cable replaced under special policy yet, ask them to take care of it for you. More than likely was your power steering/stabiltrac light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.