Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone!

I just bought my first new car, and it definitely feels like a milestone in my life. After much research and deliberation, I ended up with a beautiful 2017 Cruze LT hatchback RS in graphite metallic with the 1.4T and manual transmission.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Mid-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Hot hatch
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet Compact car

For months I really debated between the Sonic, Civic hatchback, Fiesta, and Focus. I test drove them all (manuals only), and the bottom line is that the Sonic just felt better on the road to me. Given that I am used to Honda/Acura from the 80's and 90's (I LOVE the simplicity of form and function of that era), I was grossly disappointed in the 2017 Civic. Absolutely NO driver feedback, and the hanging RPM "shift assist" was just about the most annoying thing I could not get around. Although the power was great, the pedigree that I came to expect from Honda was just not there anymore. The Fiesta was too small for me to feel comfortable in, and both it and the Focus had a similarly overboosted, pillowy feel to the Civic. I finally found myself at the Chevy dealership, and I LOVED the Sonic. The steering felt better than the others, and it was also much cheaper. At the time, I wasn't trying to budget for a Cruze.

Being the end of the year, all of the dealers are trying to push out their inventory, but I was staunch on two things: manual transmission and power locks/windows. I had a beautiful black Sonic that the dealer was trying to order from another state, but found out that it sold a couple days prior. No other 2017 Sonics in the system fit my minimum specs, and I wasn't willing to budge, sooo they ALMOST matched the price for this beautiful Cruze. I instantly fell in love with it, especially the color. The Cruze surely felt much more..grown up(?) than the Sonic, so here's me feeling stoked about being in a car that I can see myself keeping for the better portion of my 30's.

Of course, it's not perfect, so I do want to mention some things that bug me a bit in hopes that some of you fine people might offer a solution..

1) The shifts are mostly smooth, but 1-2 sometimes..I dunno, it feels more rough than I think a new transmission should. I'm going to change out the Synchromesh for some Amsoil 75W90 (I might try the Eneos too) and see if that helps, but I also read something about clocking a lock washer on the shifter cable 90 degrees? I can't seem to find that article again, maybe you can help me out..

2) The throttle response feels somewhat delayed. If I blip the engine, it seems like there is a lag or something. I wonder if that spark plugs are gapped properly, and I also read something on here about removing the intake resonator. Any thoughts to either of these ideas?

3) ONLY the automatic version came equipped with the charge-only USB port in the back seat. This is probably because it grabbed power from some kind of electrical line running to the shifter inside the console. I'm doing ridesharing in my Cruze, I want a charger in the rear for my fares. Any tips to tap into some 12V lines back there so I can install one?

4) The Cruze shift knob looks and feels like I'm driving a tractor again. I wonder if it could even be replaced though, since it has the trigger style reverse unlock..

5) I really wish that Chevy offered a Cruze with manual transmission AND a moonroof.

Those last two are truly nitpicking, I genuinely love this car, and I'm stoked to be part of this community with you fine people.
See you all in the forums!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ah, I almost forgot:
While this is my first car from Chevy, I grew up with GM my entire life. I also owned 1993 and 1999 Olds Bravadas and a 1994 GMC Yukon Z71 Off Road with manual trans. That last one was my baby, I had a lot of fun with it before fuel prices shot sky high..
My pops and I also restored a 1970 Skylark and a 1968 LeSabre Wildcat ragtop.
So yeah, despite my love for Honda/Acura, GM has flowed in my veins since childhood. This is simply a return to form..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congratulations on your new Cruze. I bought my 2017 Sedan LT manual RS last month. I really enjoy my ride but I have similar issues as yours.

1st and 2nd gear feels rough and a bit jumpy. Rest of the gears feels smooth. I am hoping this will go away as I put more miles on it. (I drive very little, 550 Km in 35 days so far)
I also feel the throttle response delayed only on 1st and 2nd gears again. After that it's all good, lots of power, well, at least for my satisfaction .

Cruze shift knob design is a joke. I am glad you mentioned it, hopefully we will get some ideas from other members.

My Cruze came with the Sunroof but that was part of a technology package already installed.

Enjoy your ride.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Good timing, Chevy’s dealing on ‘17’s. Sounds like you scored a great deal.

Welcome and congratulations!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Congrats on your new Cruze. But also, shame on you for buying the exact copy paste version of my car (joking) Actually, I just bought this exact same car, same color and everything on November 6 but mine is a 2018. I absolutely love this car.

But contrary to you, I actually really like the shift knob and this is something I would never change. Matter of taste probably.

Anyway, good luck and hope to see you around.

Edit;

I think you have a different shade of grey. Mine is Nightfall Grey so actually, your Cruze is different than mine.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Welcome! The first gen cruze had the same 1-2 shifting issue, and switching the trans fluid to amsoil and filling to the appropriate level eliminates it. (gen 1 manuals were underfilled from the factory)

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Haha yeah, the 1-2 shift is weird, and electronic throttles are just annoying (but they all are these days). That 1-2 shift is a combination of a huge gap between gears, synchros that aren't really up to the task, fluid, and a clutch delay system to avoid drivetrain shock.

I never drove the Civic in a manual, but I just did NOT understand what all of the auto journalists were raving about with the new Civic. The 1.5T is gruff and unrefined over 3000 RPM; the interior is meh, and the exterior styling is horrid. The Cruze's steering is among the numbest thing I've ever driven, but otherwise, I really like it.

Congrats on the new car and welcome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the different fluid doesnt work check the shift cables. Ive heard of adjustment issues from the factory on hatches. Also make sure you dont void your warranty with different gear oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.